Coolant for 2003 Gran Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would appreciate coolant suggestion for 2003 Gran Marquis which has the orange stuff. Car has 29k miles and I believe coolant is still original mix. Still nice and clear but needs attention.

Well, after a good flushing(due to the age of the coolant), I'd go straight for the MotorCraft Coolant. However, there are some other aftermarket coolant that may be suitable.

Not sure what the "orange stuff" is in there currently, (maybe MC Dexcool?). Depending on when made 03 GrM spec is either MC original Green or G05 MC Gold, neither orange tint in MC AF line.

If mine I'd go with G05 either MC Gold or Zerex whichever less with complete exchange/flush. It's long life HOAT and would be suitable for use even if an original green spec GrM. Longer service interval than original green too. Below is link to MC AF pdf application chart so you can see for yourself.

http://www.motorcraft.com/servlet/BlobSe...&blobkey=id

Sorry, I meant original yellow coolant not orange or green stuff.

Last edited:
July 15th 2002 was the dividing line for the Ford shift from green to yellow. So nearly all 2003's should have come with G5/HOAT/yellow originally. I'd stick with it. I just changed the coolant in my 2002 to Zerex G05 yellow.

Ford coolant specs

Very unlikely many 2003's were built before July 15, 2002.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
July 15th 2002 was the dividing line for the Ford shift from green to yellow. So nearly all 2003's should have come with G5/HOAT/yellow originally. I'd stick with it. I just changed the coolant in my 2002 to Zerex G05 yellow.

Ford coolant specs

Actually a lot. MY2003 Job 1 was March, 2002.

Either way, I would flush it fully and use the Motorcraft Gold, or Zerex G05. Both are the same. Shop based on price. Some dealers surprisingly are competitive with the pricing of the equvalent Zerex product from an auto parts store, if you can find it. Most places only carry the orange or green "universal" OAT stuff. The dealer always has stock of gold coolant.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Ford coolant specs

A rare exception for pilot cars and other oddities making up <1% of the 2003 model year production.

Ford coolant specs

A rare exception for pilot cars and other oddities making up div>

How much info do you have on that? Just curious as mine is a June '02 production.
Having been in production myself, it wouldnt surprise me if it took until sometime in May to actually ramp up and start producing them for real.

As per Ford's coolant chart:

You mention that many were made between March 2002 and July 15, 2002, which would technically put it in the "old school" green range.. BUT..

.. keep in mind that the G-05/Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant is a HOAT, and is actually in many ways based off of the old school green (IAT) chemistry, with less silicate, the addition of Borates etc.. and is essentially an 'upgrade' of the green stuff. If you were to do a full flush of your coolant system, and switch to G-05, then you'd be in great shape for many years.

If it were my car, I'd go with the G-05, but I also see no harm in just giving it a drain/fill with some conventional green and just let it ride...

Ford coolant specs

A rare exception for pilot cars and other oddities making up div>

How much info do you have on that? Just curious as mine is a June '02 production.
Having been in production myself, it wouldnt surprise me if it took until sometime in May to actually ramp up and start producing them for real.

As an example, my 2002 Lincoln was the 900th Lincoln on the line in 2001 (August 6th build date Vin ends in 000900). Heavy production usually starts around early August. So I doubt more than a few dozen cars could have been built before Jul/August...and most of those probably pilot cars/special jobs. Your VIN number and that of one built in early August could give you an idea of how many early cars were built.

G-05 will work fine.
thumbsup2.gif

I flushed the living daylights out of mine, and went with G-13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back