Airplane take off in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I hate flying is we always seem to have a huge storm come through delaying the ability to get home. I'm leaving from cleveland Ohio at 6pm today and it look like what's left of hurricane nate will be up there by that time. Will that be delay take offs? I really don't fly often. I know they can take off and land on the rain, but I'm not sure how heavy of a rainy. With hurricane harvey their was tons of lightning.

6pm you'll be fine the front is forecast to stay to the south.

Take off in the rain is no problem for the airplane (if it's not freezing rain). The important thing is visibility, the moisture by itself is no threat.

To Houston?
You on Southwest or United?
The remnants of Nate came through here yesterday and all we saw here, about 230 miles southwest of CLE was a breezy afternoon and a little rain starting around dusk.
You needn't worry at all about your departure from CLE.

Take offs in the rain....Lets see, 30 knot head wind, ship speed about 30 knots, and its pouring rain and we were launching planes off the flight deck....yes we were wet, and it was dangerous, but we were young and bullet proof....1969 USS Constellation, VF142 squadron...we ain't scared of rain.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Take offs in the rain....Lets see, 30 knot head wind, ship speed about 30 knots, and its pouring rain and we were launching planes off the flight deck....yes we were wet, and it was dangerous, but we were young and bullet proof....1969 USS Constellation, VF142 squadron...we ain't scared of rain.

Must have been awesome watching Phantoms launch off the carrier deck.

Thank you for your service.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
You will be OK.

Just stop by here for a few cocktails pre-flight to calm your nerves:

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/05/bar_symon_opens_at_cleveland_h.html

And find a girlfriend already, you are spending far too much time on BITOG for a young guy.

arctic -- you shouldn't try to discourage m.o.m. from starting his always intelligent and entertaining threads. where would bitog be without him ?

is your question about safety or delays. its not a binary of can a plane take off or land, its a scale and high probability to cause air traffic delays . i dont know your airport but in weather they will space out the landing planes and not land planes side by side. since all the planes leaving had to come from somewhere this means delays.
it'd be like the freeway dropping down to 25mph and 2lanes to 1lane. cars can drive on it fine but will be delayed.

so my advice is yes likely will have impacts.
check the flight and airport status even before leaving for the airport from where you were

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Must have been awesome watching Phantoms launch off the carrier deck.

Phantoms....one of the sexiest, most aggressive looking war birds EVER!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/F-4B_of_VF-142_is_launched_from_USS_Constellation_%28CVA-64%29_in_January_1969.jpg

Scott

Originally Posted By: yeti
You will be OK.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/05/bar_symon_opens_at_cleveland_h.html

And find a girlfriend already, you are spending far too much time on BITOG for a young guy.

arctic -- you shouldn't try to discourage m.o.m. from starting his always intelligent and entertaining threads. where would bitog be without him ?

They are the most entertaining on BITOG
grin.gif

Chat one one of your air hostesses m.o.m.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The reason I hate flying is we always seem to have a huge storm come through delaying the ability to get home. I'm leaving from cleveland Ohio at 6pm today and it look like what's left of hurricane nate will be up there by that time. Will that be delay take offs? I really don't fly often. I know they can take off and land on the rain, but I'm not sure how heavy of a rainy. With hurricane harvey their was tons of lightning.

What brought you to Cleveland and what did you do there?

It was for my grandpas funeral. He passed away back in May, and this weekend was when we planned to have the ceremony.

Definitely a very interesting place. If you want to go see mom and pop shops, ohio has them. Hills too. Although I'm not sure about all the very small and very old homes. My garage seems like it's half the size of some of those homes.

You will be OK.

grin.gif

Thanks yeti, I didn't realize you guys appreciate my posts so much. That means a lot to me. Honestly, I never knew my posts were so entertaining. I suppose it's because I tend to think about the little things many others easily look over or take for granted.

You will be OK.

grin.gif

Thanks yeti, I didn't realize you guys appreciate my posts so much. That means a lot to me. Honestly, I never knew my posts were so entertaining. I suppose it's because I tend to think about the little things many others easily look over or take for granted.

our group concurs with Arctic's comment, about your threads being "the most entertaining on bitog."
it used to be antique and 'prone, then merk, and now you. the torch has been passed.whatever is your motivation/thought process for your threads -- don't change a thing. keep up the good work.

You will be OK.

grin.gif

Considering the people he grouped you with, you should definitely not take what he said as a compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back