Change oil on my terminator with fram ultra today

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my FIRST Ultra ever in my life.
Was not happy with 3 second start up rattle, I fill much oil and let it soak into media much I can and fill some more , before install. never have any start up rattle after that, but I dint have this problem with Mobil 1 oil filter. this is 1 years 1000 miles oil change. Next oil change will be mobil 1.

25ptlrb.jpg

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
This is my FIRST Ultra ever in my life.
Was not happy with 3 second start up rattle, I fill much oil and let it soak into media much I can and fill some more , before install. never have any start up rattle after that, but I dint have this problem with Mobil 1 oil filter. this is 1 years 1000 miles oil change. Next oil change will be mobil 1.

The oil galleries are still drained out above the filter mount even though you pre-filled the filter some. If it's quiet after the intial start-up on subsequent start-ups then there's nothing to worry about.

Was not happy with 3 second start up rattle

Why did you choose the most widely complained about oil since the history of the internet ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Why did you choose the most widely complained about oil since the history of the internet ?

old OCD kicking in for being too long in BITOG
grin.gif

Last edited:

Any real data that says Mobil 1 is bad? Or is it just armchair oil engineers making stuff up?

Does it rattle every startup or only the first one after the oil change? What about after sitting for a long time. (5 days for weekend rider) If you get a consistent rattle after a long time the ADBV is not working. Cut it open on the next OCI and see if there are cuts or other deformations on the rubber/silicone media.

If its everytime... I might be tempted to an early OCI to get back to what is working and never change it again. $20 lesson learned.

25ptlrb.jpg
[/quote]

How many jacks/stands/supports are in this picture?
smile.gif

I see wood planks under front wheels i guess for initial lift. Scissor jack on passenger side, wheels laying down and slid under both sides, two jack stands, floor jack.
smile.gif

wow.
wink.gif

Well he probably used the to raise it enough to get the floor Jack under, then a Jack stand on each side. The tires imo are overkill, but hey it is what it is.

It is going to be the most widely complained about oil since it seems to be the most popular oil.

At least you don't have the cold start knock. So far my 5.3 is doing well at 175k miles with it from day 1.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Well he probably used the to raise it enough to get the floor Jack under, then a Jack stand on each side. The tires imo are overkill, but hey it is what it is.

More is better than not enough.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Does it rattle every startup or only the first one after the oil change? What about after sitting for a long time. (5 days for weekend rider) If you get a consistent rattle after a long time the ADBV is not working. Cut it open on the next OCI and see if there are cuts or other deformations on the rubber/silicone media.

If its everytime... I might be tempted to an early OCI to get back to what is working and never change it again. $20 lesson learned.

Just first start up after oil change . I knew it normal cause it’s happen many car I ever change oil . It’s just this time it make noise on start up . I always use Mobil 1 oil filter so is preview owner . And it not rattle at first start up after oil change . I pick ultra because Walmart out off Mobil 1 . Was gonna pick k&N . But give ultra a try . Anyway I been cold start 6 time after oil change but no noise .

25ptlrb.jpg

smile.gif

I see wood planks under front wheels i guess for initial lift. Scissor jack on passenger side, wheels laying down and slid under both sides, two jack stands, floor jack.
smile.gif

wow.
wink.gif

[/quote]

Lol I know right ? I’m over kill here but I seen some bad jack in my life . One day I’m work at this old guy shop and while I’m under the car . He come over with 2 old tires and put under the car . I was young so I ask him why , He told me that an old tires save his life after his jack stand fail . He told me always put some old tires under the car or extra jack , so I alway did

Just came home from being out of town for 5 weeks. Fired the Ram up in signature that has a Fram Ultra on it. Quiet as can be the motor was immediately. My vehicles luv & perform flawlessly with the Fram Ultras -- only filter I will use unless something better comes around for a better price -- good luck with that happening!!!

25ptlrb.jpg

smile.gif

smile.gif

wow.
wink.gif

Lol I know right ? I’m over kill here but I seen some bad jack in my life . One day I’m work at this old guy shop and while I’m under the car . He come over with 2 old tires and put under the car . I was young so I ask him why , He told me that an old tires save his life after his jack stand fail . He told me always put some old tires under the car or extra jack , so I alway did[/quote]

Don't worry Metalslug, I'm a bit overkill. I value my life and my safety. Your setup looks OK
smile.gif

Just sharing some personal random experience and habits associated with jack stands, ramps etc.

I drive the car up Rhino poly ramps for oil changes and fluid changes. The current 87 Brat, previous Expeditions 4WD's and current 17 Outback are driven up on 4 ramps as there is sufficient ground and garage height clearance. On a new 1994 Nissan Altima SE (5 speed), when I changed oil for the first time, I drove the front up ramps, drained the oil, drained and replaced the filter. Then I lowered the car without having added any oil, with the oil cap loose and the dipstick slightly pulled out. I saw no more oil come out. With that one point verification, I successfully performed oil changes on that car with the front end on ramps every 3K miles initially and every 5K miles after a few years after switching to synthetics, until the car was totaled in 2012 at 200K miles.

Same with the current Suzuki SX4 SB, a 328Ci and a Z3 and a Subaru OBS. If I have to drain the transmission and rear differential on these (except the Suzuki) cars, I will jack the rear up with a floor jack, sometimes two floor jacks, a little lift on each side at a time, until the rear is sufficiently lifted to slide a couple of ramps under the rear wheels. The Subaru OBS and Suzuki have rear lift points and hence I do not raise each side, but just from the rear until I can place ramps under each rear wheel. Never had issues with stability etc., doing fluids, sway bars, end links, exhaust, inspections and other misc. tasks under the car.

For suspension , brake type work, I use ample jack stands to minimize risk.

OP, are you claiming it is the oil or the filter?

Id suspect the later, but my experiences have been exactly the opposite. My truck literally sits for a month or more and is silent at startup using fram Ultra.

The filter . I trust Mobil 1 product on everything . The ultra work fine . No noise at start up . Only noise at start up is the whipple supercharger
grin.gif

Looks like the floor jack is bearing on the engine oil pan! That's an odd/bad place to lift a car!

Even if the oil pan can take it, (most can't) you're putting a tension load on the engine mounts
for which they weren't designed, worst case it can tear out rubber in the mounts, since the weight of the
rest of the front end of the car hangs on the mounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back