2012 Santa Fe Mobil 1 EP 5W20 10,379 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happy about all the silver showing up. Gotta find out what's in this motor that's silver. I've seen King engine bearings that use a silver overlay but not sure what's used by Hyundai in this motor.

I've never seen this suggested on bitog: Ask Hyundai where the silver can be coming from.
Assuming the dealership or Customer Service can ask engineering.
Never seen silver as a problem in UOAs. Probably rod bearing material, and guessing a big scar on one is exposing a lot of Ag silver to wear.

I did one Blackstone Lab UOA, it cost $25.00, now it's $28.00. The report I got back said I had a healthy engine, which I knew. So based on that I can't see spending money to see if I can go X amount of miles further on OCI when I can change for the cost of the UOA. My 2 cents. Now if you think you have a problem it might be worth it. Just me.
cheers3.gif

Engine should be in warranty as it has less than 100k.good, 10 yrs. Good question for dealership.
What are the warranty OCI requirements? I know in Canada it is 3750 miles.

Are you warming that M1EP up and stirring it with a silver spoon before pouring it in?

You might switch to Hyundai oil as a test to see if the silver goes down. Maybe it doesn't like M1 EP.

Has it run M1 its entire life up to this point?

I’d be talking to the OEM…not like we see this when the same oil comes out of a Toyota (or?)

Odds are even under warranty they aren't going to do anything about it. Two reasons come to mind I'm certain there are tons more.

1. If it ain't broke they aren't going to fix it under warranty.

2. They didn't do the oil analysis you did.

I won't bother listing other reasons. If it were mine, I'd shorten the OCI and probably try 5W30 if the shorter OCI doesn't help.

So, what benefit is there from shorter OCIs, sure, silver numbers will be less but they will be less at 3000 mile OCIs as well. That is just playing with the numbers not solving the issue,. high silver is not causing additional wear, the solution is not more frequent OCIs but find the answer to the question of why. Since everything else is good shorter OCIs are not the answer!

I can always get great numbers if I change the oil every 1000 miles.

I had some pretty disturbing extremely loud start up screeching/clatter noise for 2-3 seconds with my 2011 3.5 V6 and in the last year started using Valvoline full syn with Maxlife tech. It seemed to quiet things down for 3-4 weeks but the clatter came back and we finally traded the Santa Fe(60K miles)at trade-in 3 weeks ago. The Dealer had replaced the timing chain, etc and also the starter and the clatter came back a few weeks later. They had NO clue what was making the noise... I have been around cars(collector) and engines most of my life and that startup noise is not something that is NORMAL for any engine. I am pretty sure it had something to do with the VVTI($2K-$4K repair) but did not want to fight with the dealer... Video your vehicle at start up and use that when you go to the dealer... The silver particle/metal may be coming from the VVTi...Good luck. We liked the SF but that engine/VVTi has issues.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are an ideal candidate for a robust 10W-30 oil. Certainly some engines hold up just fine on uber thin oils. Others have bearing and timing chain wear. I suggest switching to 10W-30 conventional M1, and testing again. In years past, I found that the 10W-30 (or even 5W-40 TDT) provides about half the wear metals on my vehicles vs the 5w-20

Originally Posted By: Spector
So, what benefit is there from shorter OCIs, sure, silver numbers will be less but they will be less at 3000 mile OCIs as well. That is just playing with the numbers not solving the issue,. high silver is not causing additional wear, the solution is not more frequent OCIs but find the answer to the question of why. Since everything else is good shorter OCIs are not the answer!

I can always get great numbers if I change the oil every 1000 miles.

How do you propose he finds the answer to the question why? Maybe the oil is in a little too long, maybe the viscosity needs to be bumped up a grade. Certainly worth trying.

Regarding changing the oil every 1000 miles. You might actually find changing your oil every 1,000 miles makes your wear numbers worse, and causes more wear. I believe there are studies out there that have supposedly proven that point. That has been discussed on this board too.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Sounds like you are an ideal candidate for a robust 10W-30 oil. Certainly some engines hold up just fine on uber thin oils. Others have bearing and timing chain wear. I suggest switching to 10W-30 conventional M1, and testing again. In years past, I found that the 10W-30 (or even 5W-40 TDT) provides about half the wear metals on my vehicles vs the 5w-20

I would go to 10W30 as well.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
So, what benefit is there from shorter OCIs, sure, silver numbers will be less but they will be less at 3000 mile OCIs as well. That is just playing with the numbers not solving the issue,. high silver is not causing additional wear, the solution is not more frequent OCIs but find the answer to the question of why. Since everything else is good shorter OCIs are not the answer!I can always get great numbers if I change the oil every 1000 miles.

How do you propose he finds the answer to the question why? Maybe the oil is in a little too long, maybe the viscosity needs to be bumped up a grade. Certainly worth trying.Regarding changing the oil every 1000 miles. You might actually find changing your oil every 1,000 miles makes your wear numbers worse, and causes more wear. I believe there are studies out there that have supposedly proven that point. That has been discussed on this board too.

Since all other wear metals were within norms it is extremely unlikely that a change in viscosity, brand etc will have any bearing on bringing it down. Shorter OCIs will but on a PPM/1000 miles basis the result will be the same, high wear for this metal. So, find out what component of this engine has silver in it and start from that point. There are times also when one metal will wear high for life and have no bearing on the longevity of an engine. UOA is trend analysis and we don't have much of a trend here as yet but I would start by finding out what has silver in the engine.

As to OCIs of 1000 mile, I was just making a point that the metalcount could easily be reduced by simply shorter OCIs, just looks great but does not solve the problem when only one wear metal has high numbers. Plus, is the silver causing additional wear, probably not, unlike silicon in high numbers.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
So, what benefit is there from shorter OCIs, sure, silver numbers will be less but they will be less at 3000 mile OCIs as well. That is just playing with the numbers not solving the issue,. high silver is not causing additional wear, the solution is not more frequent OCIs but find the answer to the question of why. Since everything else is good shorter OCIs are not the answer!I can always get great numbers if I change the oil every 1000 miles.

How do you propose he finds the answer to the question why? Maybe the oil is in a little too long, maybe the viscosity needs to be bumped up a grade. Certainly worth trying.Regarding changing the oil every 1000 miles. You might actually find changing your oil every 1,000 miles makes your wear numbers worse, and causes more wear. I believe there are studies out there that have supposedly proven that point. That has been discussed on this board too.

Since all other wear metals were within norms it is extremely unlikely that a change in viscosity, brand etc will have any bearing on bringing it down. Shorter OCIs will but on a PPM/1000 miles basis the result will be the same, high wear for this metal. So, find out what component of this engine has silver in it and start from that point. There are times also when one metal will wear high for life and have no bearing on the longevity of an engine. UOA is trend analysis and we don't have much of a trend here as yet but I would start by finding out what has silver in the engine.

As to OCIs of 1000 mile, I was just making a point that the metalcount could easily be reduced by simply shorter OCIs, just looks great but does not solve the problem when only one wear metal has high numbers. Plus, is the silver causing additional wear, probably not, unlike silicon in high numbers.

That makes sense, and worth looking into. There's one other thing to take into consideration. The silver can also be showing up later on in the OCI. Lets say for the sake of argument after 7k miles of the oil being in service. A shorter OCI might show little to no silver. If that's the case for a couple of OCI's that might shed light. Bumping a grade might also help with a softer metal like silver, especially if it hasn't been tried yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back