Opinion Reversal on Fram Extraguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was first getting into cars the internet oil gurus were telling me to avoid the Fram Extra Guard. It even has the nickname OCOD.

It seems like the dislike of the Extra Guard was due to the construction. Now it seems like there has been a reversal of opinion on the OCOD. People are saying the paper ends function just fine, and the filtering efficiency is actually better than OEM filters.

What exactly happened? Were people too hung up on physical appearance or were there some product changes? Did the oil gurus get it wrong?

Yes people were scared of physical appearance and thought fiber.. Bad! Metal... Good!

It also didn't help with people abusing filters and posting dissections of the carnage with sludge in the filters. Smart people see an abused fitler, idiots see a bad filter.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
Why get a cardboard filter, when you can get a well constructed one, for the same money, from a different brand? That's how I look at it.

What's your definition of well constructed?

Plenty of metal end cap filters with multiple issues.

There are also many filters on the market without metal end caps that work fine without any problems.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
When I was first getting into cars the internet oil gurus were telling me to avoid the Fram Extra Guard. It even has the nickname OCOD.

It seems like the dislike of the Extra Guard was due to the construction. Now it seems like there has been a reversal of opinion on the OCOD. People are saying the paper ends function just fine, and the filtering efficiency is actually better than OEM filters.

What exactly happened? Were people too hung up on physical appearance or were there some product changes? Did the oil gurus get it wrong?

Get a fram ultra and forget about it...
01.gif

I think everyone was just hung up on the "cardboard" end caps. The truth is they are good filters for what they are designed to do. I just choose to go with the Fram Ultra since they are only a couple dollars more but can be used for a much longer OCI. They are also built like a tank.

Why get a cardboard filter, when you can get a well constructed one, for the same money, from a different brand? ...
Because sometimes "cardboard" is better, and you aren't qualified to tell the difference. Plastic can function well, too.

Don't judge a book by its cover, it does its job just fine.

It's like 20 years ago buying a new Toyota Camry for commuting. Yeah it's slow, ugly, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it gets you from point A to point B without any grief.

I ran them for decades along with Mobil 1 filters before joining here, I never had a problem with them. Then I made the mistake of switching to Purolator filters, go figure. At the moment I'm only using Fram Ultra filters.

99.999% of owners do not cut open their filters, thus they don't know the quality inside. Quality is judged by how hefty and strong the filter is outside. Millions and millions of miles are driven and there have been no stories in the news of faulty oil filters. If anything the fault lies with the installation.

Run the filter brand you trust. No need to worry over nothing.

Why get a cardboard filter, when you can get a well constructed one, for the same money, from a different brand? That's how I look at it.

Please explain.

Atleast they are not known for tearing.I would take the cardboard over tearing anyday.

The only reason to buy orange fram is convenience. With a little shopping you can usually get a 6pack of OEM filters for similar price.

For most folks that will be used in 3 years so it not "hording" just early purchase. Pair that with some clearance sale oil then... well... yes then you are hording.
smile.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Fram Orange can, but I think they're overpriced for what they are. For about $2 more, a tough guard is a better value. For $4 more, a Fram Ultra is an outstanding value if you leave it on long enough.

But I don't think there is any filter on the market (tearolators included) that will cause damage to your engine if ran for the interval they're designed for.
27.gif

These are all my opinions and I do not certify their accuracy.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I think everyone was just hung up on the "cardboard" end caps. The truth is they are good filters for what they are designed to do.

This. Nobody has issues with the "cardboard" as a filter material yet put that on the endcaps and it's junk???? If you look at the origins of that nonsense it was a marketing gimmick, and a great one at that. Throw in some internet "experts" to poo-pooh the design and you've got more junk science.

People, especially men, are very visual. Most people don't understand how a filter works and the metal endcaps "look" better to most. Wix expecially marketed heavily very successfully on that point and had a big part in the "flimsy cardboard" notion you will still find passionately espoused on the web.

Most passionate Fram haters are ill informed and can't correctly explain to you which way the oil flows, or how an ADBV or bypass valve works. Not a good source for filter information. Truth is there are some actual advantages to fiber endcaps which is why Fram originally patented them, bonding to the media for one is easier to accomplish than with a metal endcap filter. All the metal endcap really does is hold the glue anyway, but they are well known for breaking their glue bond on occasion.

Fram might save a little money using fiber endcaps, but they turn around and spend it on superior filtering media. Even the "lowly" orange can features a filtering efficiency that bests many filters costing much more. Isn't filtering what an oil filter is all about?

In truth I have used more Frams than anything for over 30 years. Never a problem. I have cut a lot of them and no "endcap issues" ever developed even in OCI's over 10k miles. Few people will ever go beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back