Mobil1 0w-40 SuperSyn - 10200km / 9 years OCI!

Dear forum,

yes, I know: the BITOG mantra is "synthetics don't protect better, but they protect longer." A short while ago, a user signed up in a german forum and asked for advice selecting an oil for his next oil change, and also on proper oil change intervals.
The car: a V8 Jaguar. Mostly short-tripped. And driven mostly during winter months.
When he changed his oil, thankfully he supplied us with an UOA:

index.php

Source:
Mobil1 Protection Formula 0W-40 (SuperSyn) - Jaguar XJR V8 - 4.500 Km / 10.200 Km

Wear metal seem high for the mileage, but with a severely short tripped car, higher wear is to be expected. Astonishing is the state of the oil. We do not see TBN and TAN, but ocidation, nitration and sulfation are quite astonishingly low for a nine-years-and-four-and-a-half-month oil change interval.

PAO rock. Period.

Last edited:
What's more astonishing to me is, here's this awesome Jag. It's madly expensive, and they go 9 years without changing the Lube on it?!

I mean, let's picture this for second...

Ok you go one year, fine, 2, 3 by year 4, it's been freakin 4 YEARS that the oil has been in the engine. Most oil manfactures have the standard 1 year life expectancy rating on the oil. I can't imagine going 5 years on it. 6 years. 7, 8, NINE YEARS ON SAME Engine Oil!!!!!

And oh look, shirt trips in cold weather. Thank you for sharing this, hopefully it will disperse some nonsense around here.

I think this is much more, the exception and not the rule. Maybe I've been brainwashed.

Originally Posted By: Artem
What's more astonishing to me is, here's this awesome Jag. It's madly expensive, and they go 9 years without changing the Lube on it?!

I mean, let's picture this for second...

Ok you go one year, fine, 2, 3 by year 4, it's been freakin 4 YEARS that the oil has been in the engine. Most oil manfactures have the standard 1 year life expectancy rating on the oil. I can't imagine going 5 years on it. 6 years. 7, 8, NINE YEARS ON SAME Engine Oil!!!!!
It's enough to give a BITOG member the vapors.....

9 years and 6300 miles... I'm not so much surprised at the 9 years as I am the only 6300 miles during that time. That's 700 miles PER YEAR. I certainly wouldn't pay for plates and insurance for anything used that little.

I think this guy needs his head checked for this, not the fact he went 9 years without changing the oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
9 years and 6300 miles... I'm not so much surprised at the 9 years as I am the only 6300 miles during that time. That's 700 miles PER YEAR. I certainly wouldn't pay for plates and insurance for anything used that little.

I think this guy needs his head checked for this, not the fact he went 9 years without changing the oil
smile.gif

We here in the US drive a LOT more than most Europeans. I had a debate with a guy from England, he was complaining about how far we drive. I lived in Eastern Montana at the time, and let him know that if I drove 8 hours West, I'd still be in the same state. If he drove 8 hours East from London, he'd be somewhere in Germany or Poland, having crossed several international borders.

It's a matter of scale and our driving distances reflect it; the US (and Australia for that matter) are huge compared to European countries.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

smile.gif

We here in the US drive a LOT more than most Europeans. I had a debate with a guy from England, he was complaining about how far we drive. I lived in Eastern Montana at the time, and let him know that if I drove 8 hours West, I'd still be in the same state. If he drove 8 hours East from London, he'd be somewhere in Germany or Poland, having crossed several international borders.

It's a matter of scale and our driving distances reflect it; the US (and Australia for that matter) are huge compared to European countries.

Yes and in Europe, the roads were built for bicycles and carriages. In the US, most roads were built for cars and trucks.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

smile.gif

Went to visit family in Germany and they did not hesitate to drive 300-500 miles per day for sight seeing and whatnot. My cousin came the same time we did, they opted to drive 1400 miles. The longest road trip I have ever been on living in the US was prompted by an EU citizen. I would not have thought to drive for almost 1200 miles, he didn't even consider train/plane.
Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling Europeans drive more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dyusik
. . .
Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling Europeans drive more.
Generalizing accurately and meaningfully on such things is virtually impossible. . .

Back