A word of warning for non-Prime Amazon users-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just busted them for attempting to sign me up for monthly Prime membership without my consent, canceled my account. Keep a close eye on your CC statements, I can't believe this is an isolated occurrence.

You sure you didn't press the wrong button, notice during checkout they put that Shilling for Prime in your face.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You sure you didn't press the wrong button, notice during checkout they put that Shilling for Prime in your face.

Yep, be careful when checking out. Another BITOG member also complained thus happened to him.

I have Prime and my family has used it enough to justify the membership cost....for now.

I was the one who complained about it. I think what they do is automatically have you set for free shipping with prime and if you aren't paying attention you get setup for a 30 day free trial. I just make sure the prime membership option isn't selected before and after I buy something.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have Prime and my family has used it enough to justify the membership cost....for now.

Yep, share it around....

so worth it for me as well. their online video and movie database is really good also. saves me almost 70$ per month over cable with that and netflix.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I just busted them for attempting to sign me up for monthly Prime membership without my consent, canceled my account. Keep a close eye on your CC statements, I can't believe this is an isolated occurrence.

"cancelled my account"

I bet you'll be back and be another happy customer when you are more careful and learn exactly how to handle your account. Amazon didn't get to be a large success by shady business practices. Offers to upgrade, suggestive selling............. Sure, everyone does that. Just take your time, read the details before your final click.

Last edited:

That will learn 'em...nothing like biting off your nose to spite your face
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

grin.gif

In the OP's case, it's seems more like fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
The OP has exhibited the good sense not to be fooled twice.

I accidentally did this once myself. Amazon sent an automated email welcoming me to Prime. I immediately canceled. Since the first 30 days were free I did have Prime for that time period. Might be worth taking advantage of this if you wanted a bunch of stuff that would normally have shipping charged. The last thing I bought from Amazon was an electric lawn mower which qualified for free shipping anyway.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

grin.gif

No-they will just NEVER be trusted with a CC number again. I've been buying parts & other things from them since '04, I'm wise to their shipping bait & switch, 3rd party sellers being cheaper w/no minimum free shipping, etc., etc. I haven't bought anything from them in a couple months, this came totally out of the blue.

Originally Posted By: user52165

"cancelled my account"

I bet you'll be back and be another happy customer when you are more careful and learn exactly how to handle your account. Amazon didn't get to be a large success by shady business practices. Offers to upgrade, suggestive selling............. Sure, everyone does that. Just take your time, read the details before your final click.
If I ever do get anything from them again, it'll be with a gift card within $1 of the total-if they can ever be cheaper than eBay, RA, or others. I'm just warning everybody to keep a close eye on them, other than a random email I got from them-there was ZERO warning that this happened, thank goodness I had changed CC numbers recently due to another fraud alert.

I still don't understand why this is worth getting all worked up about.

Its not like they stole your credit card and sold your personal info to Nigeria.

They charged your card...apparently in error...and then issied a credit without any argument.

As for choosing FleaBay over Amazon...I ask again why bite off your nose to spite your face...ebay is the worst when it comes to enforcing merchants to return funds even when they are busted for counterfeit parts...and half their items are counterfeit.

RA is typically cheaper anyway, even with their shipping charges.
Rock is also staffed with people who actually know something about cars and parts and on the one occasion that I had to return a bad part, they were extremely accommodating and shipped a replacement even before I'd sent back the old part, using a UPS call tag at their expense.
RA also hosts no third party sellers and their product descriptions and pricing are fully transparent and never in any way deceptive or subject to lawyerly interpretation. Can't say that for Amazon.

I only buy from Amazon when I can't buy the product elsewhere. eBay is often cheaper or about the same, and with eBay shipping is faster since you typically don't have a seller that's going to wait 2 weeks before shipping like Amazon does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back