Biggest Oil Filter for 2007 Honda Odyssey 3.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you for accepting my membership!

I recently purchased a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 3.5L engine and 130k miles on it.

What is the biggest Oil filter I can use and what Oil would you recommend for the Chicago Midwest climate?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

AL from Alsip, IL

welcome2.gif

Welcome. Do you know what oil was used in the engine before? I have the same engine in my 2007 Ridgeline and for the first 60K miles I used a Kendall or 76 synthetic blend 5w-20. That's what I'd recommend in a high mileage formula, even though Honda has back specced 0w-20 for your vehicle. My engine uses no oil.

If you want better startup protection in those cold and windy Illinois winters, you may consider going to a full synthetic 0w-20. But there's a chance you'll see some consumption to start out and maybe some engine oil leaks. If it was me, I'd use a high mileage synthetic blend 5w-20.

welcome2.gif

I recommend the lowest-priced 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic on sale, and run it for whatever duration the maintenance minder suggests.

As for the oil filter, almost any oil filter is fine EXCEPT Purolator or anything made by Purolator! DO NOT use Motorcraft, Bosch, or anything with date code that looks like this: FxxAxxxx (the first letter is always an F). For example, F01H12D1. It can be either on top of the can, or on the side. If you see a code like that on the filter, DO NOT BUY IT!!!!

Honda's OEM filters that you'd buy from the dealer are essentially reboxed Fram Extra Guards (orange cans). But for a little better filtration, upgrade to the Tough Guard or Ultra.

My first choice would be the Wix 57356 or Napa Gold 7356.

If you like M1, AAP has it on sale this month $30 with the 5qt and filter. The M1 filters are good quality too. M1 HM 0w20 and the M1-110 filter
smile.gif

Look in the "Product Rebates, Sales, and Promotions" section...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4533241/AAP_clearance,_the_happening._#Post4533241

Idemitsu 0W-20, 85¢ a quart, gallon $3.35...

SN rated....

+1 on a 5w20 blend or full synthetic. And I'd run a name brand/higher quality syn blend before a cheap full syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

I recommend the lowest-priced 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic on sale, and run it for whatever duration the maintenance minder suggests.

As for the oil filter, almost any oil filter is fine EXCEPT Purolator or anything made by Purolator! DO NOT use Motorcraft, Bosch, or anything with date code that looks like this: FxxAxxxx (the first letter is always an F). For example, F01H12D1. It can be either on top of the can, or on the side. If you see a code like that on the filter, DO NOT BUY IT!!!!

Honda's OEM filters that you'd buy from the dealer are essentially reboxed Fram Extra Guards (orange cans). But for a little better filtration, upgrade to the Tough Guard or Ultra.

My first choice would be the Wix 57356 or Napa Gold 7356.

If you like M1, AAP has it on sale this month $30 with the 5qt and filter. The M1 filters are good quality too. M1 HM 0w20 and the M1-110 filter
smile.gif

What’s wrong with Purolator filters?

Aldo, welcome to the site!

For your Honda which specs 0W20 or 5W20, and being in cold [censored] Illinois, I’d go a synthetic 0W20. Like Mobil one, Castrol Edge or Castrol Magnatec. And I’d also vote for the M1 filter. For your odyssey, it is the M1-110 filter.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Also, for your engine the Fram Ultra 7317 or the Fram Pro Synthetic 7317 are pretty popular around these parts.

+1

Originally Posted By: Aldo
...What is the biggest Oil filter I can use...

The spec size 7317 application(s) is all you need.

I'm currently running Napa Gold/(Wix) 5/7356 filters for 10-15% MM ocis. Been using them for awhile now, solid filters in Honda applications ime. Another option is Ultra XG7317, especially good for extended ocis or running two ocis as Honda recommended.

Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back