Tire Disposal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the neighbor kid put his old motorcycle tires out by the curb for garbage pickup and they wont take them. That was about six months ago and there still there right on the edge of mine/there property. And knowing them...those tires will be there until they decompose a million years from now. Does Discount Tire or Walmart take them?

For a fee. We pay an upfront disposal fee and then we are nailed with an outgoing disposal fee. Not sure how all this occurred except that government got involved as I am pretty sure they a govt mandated fees on both ends.

Which neighborhood in Michigan? Three weeks ago our community had a tire disposal day, where each Livonia resident was allowed to dispose up to 10 tires at no cost. That took care of the four tires I had. I do my own tire changes.

I recently purchased new tires and kept my old tires. I still had to pay the disposal fee!

We are taxed to death with fees.........literally even in death! People using tires to build homes in the desert here. You should see when they catch fire, nearly impossible to extinguish. It's still the wild wild west in this part of the Country.

Respectfully

Pajero!

If your taxed in death then your worth over 5.43 million. That's the amount one can leave to heirs without paying (Federal) taxes. If your not worth that much set up a living trust to avoid probate-and the associated costs.

Towns around here don't pickup bulky waste, except on special holidays. For certain things, like tires smaller than 16", dropping off up to four is free. We can sign up for annual punch cards, which allow for dropping off a certain number of bulky items each year, completely free.

Tires are a recyclable material. I don't understand why it's so hard to turn them in somewhere to get reused.

I also don't understand the fee. Are they literally charging us to pay to have the rubber recycled??? Is it not worth anything on its own to make it profitable to recycle it? It's used for roads constantly.

Like I said above, check with your town to see if they accept items like this for free or have amnesty days. My town has both. They will come and pick up certain bulky waste (e.g. appliances, such as fridges and freezers), as well as Christmas trees, on designated days and times.

Monthly, on a rotating basis, one of the local towns will open up and allow for hazardous waste drop off for free.

My town offers a punch card for dropping off usual bulky waste, such as couches, TV's, tires, etc. This is a free yearly service.

Finally, recyclables are free (e.g., motor oil, antifreeze, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Artem
Tires are a recyclable material. I don't understand why it's so hard to turn them in somewhere to get reused.

I also don't understand the fee. Are they literally charging us to pay to have the rubber recycled??? Is it not worth anything on its own to make it profitable to recycle it? It's used for roads constantly.

My college football field was faux turf. I don't recall if it really was made of ground up tires, but the coach said it was, as well as old shoe soles and the like. It was great!

Call your town and report the nuisance. Tires are an eyesore and can breed mosquitoes.

Ideally, the disposal price should be built into the sale price. They finally got around to that here with flourescent bulbs and house paint.

Cheapest I can do is $4 per but if I save up ten I can dump them for $200/ton which works out to a little over a buck for 14-15 inchers.

Originally Posted By: Artem

The tire shop I get all my tires from charges $2 a tire, when I asked why he said it was a handling fee. At least I know they're getting recycled.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Call your town and report the nuisance. Tires are an eyesore and can breed mosquitoes.

Ideally, the disposal price should be built into the sale price. They finally got around to that here with flourescent bulbs and house paint.

Cheapest I can do is $4 per but if I save up ten I can dump them for $200/ton which works out to a little over a buck for 14-15 inchers.

It is here, too...but getting rid of them STILL means you have to pay! (If the transfer station is ever open, which it usually is not.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back