Boy have things changed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ashamed to say It's been 11 years since my last post, but boy am I surprised to see what I am reading here now.

When I last frequented the boards, the FL820s for my f150 was highly regarded on this forum, and Fram filters were spawned by the Devil.....Seems the roles have reversed now.

I came back to review the oils and filters recommended for my 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost...... I am glad to be back and look forward to learning all of the new technology.

Well... hold on tight.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'm Tearolatorfied because my Corolla is going to fall apart momentarily its been on the dreaded Tearolators for the last 6 years with 114,000 plus miles. Should I break in to tears now?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I'm Tearolatorfied because my Corolla is going to fall apart momentarily its been on the dreaded Tearolators for the last 6 years with 114,000 plus miles. Should I break in to tears now?
Yes.
You bet on the wrong horse. Not your fault. Don't worry, just switch to some other brand. Fram Ultra, MicroGreen, Royal Purple, Amsoil EaO, Mobil1 Ext Perf, Wix, Napa Gold, Fram ToughGaurd, in that order, are choices. Plenty there. No reason to reward Puro for making awful filters.

Welcome back. You should get an award for still having your log in 11 years later!

For your truck I'd suggest Castrol Magnatec 5w30.

I have used more Frams than any other filter for over 3 decades, never a problem. That said the quality control of Frams in general has notably improved the last 5-7 years IMO. My favorite is the Tough Guard, I feel comfortable running them 10k (yes I have cut) and that is as far as I am likely to go on an OCI anyway.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yes.
You bet on the wrong horse. Not your fault. Don't worry, just switch to some other brand. Fram Ultra, MicroGreen, Royal Purple, Amsoil EaO, Mobil1 Ext Perf, Wix, Napa Gold, Fram ToughGaurd, in that order, are choices. Plenty there. No reason to reward Puro for making awful filters.

Oh I did change from the Purolator Pure 1 to the Purolator One. I'll worry when it starts using more than a 1/2 pint of oil in an OCI.

Originally Posted By: rbraughn
I am ashamed to say It's been 11 years since my last post, but boy am I surprised to see what I am reading here now.

When I last frequented the boards, the FL820s for my f150 was highly regarded on this forum, and Fram filters were spawned by the Devil.....Seems the roles have reversed now.

I came back to review the oils and filters recommended for my 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost...... I am glad to be back and look forward to learning all of the new technology.

I come and go on this forum periodically over the years. I was also surprised to see that Purolator is now shamed and Fram is top-dawg. I remember in 2007-2008 Fram was hated on severely!

Keep using filters that might tear, it's obviously the smart thing to do if they work so well. Someone has to keep Purolator going - "Nothing Gets By Us".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I thought this was gonna be a thread about young women running around in their bras now.

laugh.gif
Which I'm hoping that'll evolve into "braless"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Keep using filters that might tear, it's obviously the smart thing to do if they work so well. Someone has to keep Purolator going - "Nothing Gets By Us".
wink.gif

This guy^ can predict the future. Just ask him.

The 2nd Gen EcoBoost uses FL-820s? If it uses the FL-500 like my 1st gen EB, then those haven’t been too bad. I’ve cut a few of mine open and not had any issues. But they are made by Purolator, so there’s that risk.

The 1st gen has a tendency to shear down the oil and is at risk for fuel dilution. Most of the used oil analysis (UOA) for the 1st gen motor have these issues, but I haven’t seen a spike in wear metals as a result (that I can remember). I hope the new platform is going to fix these issues, but time will tell. My recommendation is to run a 5,000 mile cycle and do a UOA to see how things are holding up.

There are a lot of good oils these days, and it can be hard (or fun) to pick one. The oil that seems to hold up the best in the 1st gen motor is Castrol Magnatec. There are quite a few UOAs posted here where the oil was run for a full cycle (approaching 10,000 miles) and it’s held up very well. You shouldn’t have a problem finding it for less than $20/5-qts (Walmart or Amazon). We haven’t seen very many (any?) UOAs for the new motor, but I’d start with Magnatec and go from there.

Congrats on the new truck and welcome back to the forum.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I thought this was gonna be a thread about young women running around in their bras now.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Awaiting pics
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
This guy^ can predict the future. Just ask him.

My prediction of the future is that you'll make continuing snide remarks in all threads discussing torn filters.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Careful what you hope for. Some of these wimmens going free would have you reaching for the eye bleach.

Oh no. Only I would start a thread like that. Lol

I am at her friends' wedding reception. (Second one this evening.)

I'm sitting here alone while she's dancing and came to BITOG for asylum. This post made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back