briggs 223cc ohv have a cast iron liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone figure this out? It's their now 10ft lb 223cc vertical shaft engine. Looking at the data sheet it doesn't say.

If it had a cast iron liner, that would be a selling point B&S would wanna advertise, So I doubt it has one if they are mum on it.

All engine models named Vanguard, I/C, Industrial Plus, Diamond Plus or Europa, have a cast iron sleeve in the cylinder bore. What is yours?

Can also depend on size = Platinum series walk vs ride engines for example (ride has sleeve)

If you have a Telescoping Magnet you could put that into the spark plug hole and if it sticks you know it's Iron.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If it had a cast iron liner, that would be a selling point B&S would wanna advertise, So I doubt it has one if they are mum on it.

Briggs & Stratton touts the liner-less cylinder as "Cool Bore" technology.
56.gif

My luck the telescopic shaft would bend trying to pry the magnet off the I.D.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Probably not. This engine is for the new Timemaster mower.

It's not only for that. That sucks though cause the aluminum bore engines only last like 500hrs.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Briggs & Stratton touts the liner-less cylinder as "Cool Bore" technology.
56.gif

Sounds cool with that fancy name.

No need to fear linerless engines. Disassemble the shroud every season and clean the fins. If they are kept clean and oil changed they can last a long time. Like from 79 to 2012 mowing 3 acres on zero turn. The carburator butterfly was so worn that the engine would not idle. Still ran great. Retired due to no parts for the transmission and the blade deck was rusting out.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back