13-15 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a CPO 13-15 Ford Explorer. I'm looking for the NA V6. I'm not concerned about AWD or FWD. Are there any known major problems or concerns with these?

FWD maybe ... 4WD no way ... I literally came out from under my 2015 Sport and asked my wife if she wanted to go look at a Tahoe.

That was the third time I attempted to get the drain plug out on the PTU ... even after having a muffler shop curve one pipe enough to even put a finger on it. Either could not get a (drive type) wrench on it or when I tried to put two different Allen keys in they were up on steel ...trapped against rotation ... and Im there thinking how much heat that exhaust was putting on 18 ounces of gear oil ... knowing it lets you drain 15 ounces.
On top of that ... based on wrong threads sizes Ford gave me twice ... bought two Fumoto valves and 316 SST fittings ... none were correct ...even the high price Allen stuff I special ordered was all wrong ...
Rant over ... but look at Tahoe kit

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Buying late model used is dumb on one of these.

You can find a NEW 2017 for under $25K. What will a used one save you? Plus it will have higher interest rate if you finance it.

I'd rather have a CPO used higher trim line than a stripped out base model given the choice. I don't think you're getting an XLT or Titanium new for $25k. More likely the base model with next to 0 options.

I think the carbon monoxide thing was only on police upfitted explorers where they put holes in the body.

Originally Posted By: CKN
One that nobody wants to drive that is equipped like a Govn't owned fleet vehicle.

Kind of like the previous truck you owned? You had a 2011 and traded it in a 2012 with more options if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: CKN
One that nobody wants to drive that is equipped like a Govn't owned fleet vehicle.

Kind of like the previous truck you owned? You had a 2011 and traded it in a 2012 with more options if I recall correctly.

Yep-but the Silverado LT I had was still nicely equipped. It had the LT package plus the "all star package" (Chrome mirrors, 20" chrome wheels. I really gained leather/heated seats, Bose/bed liner, and most importantly 4WD.

Garbage. I have put a few miles on these. No PTU problems as of yet... The upper strut bushings, if that is what they are called are making strumming noises again, classic Ford design. The interior layout is garbage, to many buttons to do access the features.

Sorry for the short post but I don't even want to put the energy in to tell you how much I hate these vehicles. Life is to short.

I own a 2014 Limited and aside from a failed secondary throttle body (covered under warranty) I have had no issues. Great vehicle, plenty of room, 20+ MPG.

Only common problem we see out of them at the dealership I'm at is throttle bodies.

My dad drives a Police Interceptir Explorer on duty and really likes it. Says it's quite comfortable.

My wife is actually wanting to do the same thing you're talking about. Wanting a used Explorer Limited.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Garbage. I have put a few miles on these. No PTU problems as of yet... The upper strut bushings, if that is what they are called are making strumming noises again, classic Ford design. The interior layout is garbage, to many buttons to do access the features.

Sorry for the short post but I don't even want to put the energy in to tell you how much I hate these vehicles. Life is to short.

I need seating for 4 adults and a dog. I have a small boat I tow. I drive vehicles for a long time, so reliability is a concern. What do you recommend?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
FWD maybe ... 4WD no way ... I literally came out from under my 2015 Sport and asked my wife if she wanted to go look at a Tahoe.

That was the third time I attempted to get the drain plug out on the PTU ... even after having a muffler shop curve one pipe enough to even put a finger on it. Either could not get a (drive type) wrench on it or when I tried to put two different Allen keys in they were up on steel ...trapped against rotation ... and Im there thinking how much heat that exhaust was putting on 18 ounces of gear oil ... knowing it lets you drain 15 ounces.
On top of that ... based on wrong threads sizes Ford gave me twice ... bought two Fumoto valves and 316 SST fittings ... none were correct ...even the high price Allen stuff I special ordered was all wrong ...
Rant over ... but look at Tahoe kit

I would never consider anything with PDU driven AWD. They seem to be a complete afterthought system on most vehicles. ESPECIALLY in the Explorer - which is based off of the FWD Taurus ... which also has optional AWD.

I would probably get a turbo FWD one, myself. 3.5 makes it pretty tight in the engine bay.

The FWD would be fine … ecoboost has an awesome power curve …
From Whimsey’s new post ... sounds like they are getting more capacity of gear oil in PTU’s … that’s good news

Last edited:
Doubtful you'll ever see the EB 3.5 in an FWD application. I can't imagine trying to control 365hp/360 lb-ft through the front wheels only. Heck, even the SHO will torque steer a little before the power goes to the rear if you're not careful. It doesn't happen often but if the road is just right and the computer is a little off it will happen. Less than 5x in my 118k.

There is that … and not enough room for the dual exhaust hence it’s crammed against the PTU …

Originally Posted By: whip
I need seating for 4 adults and a dog. I have a small boat I tow. I drive vehicles for a long time, so reliability is a concern. What do you recommend?

I recommend a Tahoe or Suburban. I take a lot of long trips up the east coast and find those vehicles to be the best road vehicles. I average 24 MPG [on my 2016 5.3 V8 Tahoe] if it is all highway on 87 regular fuel with a/c on all the time. With the 26 gallon gas tank you will not have to stop often for fuel.

If in doubt just rent one for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back