Small Engines.... Robin / Subaru vs. Honda ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be in the market for a new gas powered air compressor in the not too distant future. My old Campbell Hausfeld electric unit doesn't have a lot of output, and is going on 33 years old. And these are the 2 gas engines most of the newer units are offered with. I'm familiar with the Honda engines, as they are everywhere. I've heard of Subaru, but I'm not familiar with the Robin / Subaru make of small gas engines. They look very similar in design, (OHV), like the Honda. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them? I'm concerned about parts and service down the road. Thanks in advance.

While not an air compressor, my Subaru/Robin generator is well-built and has some nice features: cast-iron cylinder liner, chain driven camshaft, oil fill/dipstick on both sides, can be repaired without lots of special/expensive tools/jigs, all parts and service manuals free online.

I don't know about compressors but I own four generators. A Honda, two Briggs ( One newer and one older) and a Subaru/ Robin and I love the Coleman with the Subaru/Robin. I ran it 4 days/24 hours only shut off long enough to fuel and check the oil and it didn't use a drop of oil or skip a beat with Havoline Full Synthetic 10w30 ( lighter weight than I usually use).
Great motor. Love it.

They put a new air compressor on one of our service trucks at work. I know it's a Champion compressor with a Honda engine. The engine has a sticker saying C?? 390, so it's a 390CC engine.

Robin / Subaru motors are my favorite when you can get them they are worth the extra money. I have a 20 year old Makita weedeater that runs strong and has been overabused most of it's life cutting wild overgrown acreage. I also have one on my Snapper Self propelled commercial mower and it is the strongest push mower I have ever used. It has an oil filter and 3 stage air filter. Very well built. Third one I have is on my pressure washer purchased from Costco. I cannot say I notice it being much superior that the others are but it does start easy and runs good.

So yes I am a Robin / Subaru Fan due to their performance.

I have a Robin/Subaru generator that is now quite old. The engine is an OHV 11HP 340cc, I think it's a EH34? I'll have to look. Anyway, it has been an amazingly capable and long lived engine. Runs like a million bucks even after many thousands of hours. It's quite beat up, and no longer looks good, but it's been 100% trouble free. One thing, getting a replacement air filter takes a bit of looking around online. Not as common as the Honda. I use Mobil 1, 15W-50 in it and change at 50-100 hour intervals depending on the use.

I also have a mulcher with a Subaru EY28 7HP flat head engine. It too has been excellent. But nowhere near the hours on it. Water got into the carb and it sat for a year like that. I purchased a new carb for $11 on ebay. Works perfectly.

Where are Robin Subaru engines built?

I bought a pressure washer with a Mitsubishi engine which I think was made in China. I searched high and low looking for place of manufacture on that engine and found nothing. Hence my suspicion it's built in China. It's been a good engine though. However, not exactly tons of hours on it.

Despite never owning one, anything I've heard about Robin Subaru has been positive.

Most Robin Subaru is Japanese. Some of the smaller engines are Honda clones made in China.

I DESPISE them! Well built, but parts are hard to find or nonexistent. Some parts are completely unavailable stateside and you have to order direct from Japan for $$$$$ and a 30 day shipping wait.

Honda is the way to go.

Just had to say this topic seems to keep being asked when in fact in this part of the world Robin engines are no longer available.I can only assume Fuji Heavy Industries has ceased production of Japanese engines.
There are Ryobi lawnmowers with Subaru branded engines still available in our market.These are manufactured in China by who knows,but interestingly the part numbers are very similar to Honda numbers.
I would not recommend anyone buy Subaru/Robin product,it has proved very reliable but what happens in 10 years when you want parts?

Any of the Subaru/Robin OPE engines I've seen lately appear to be regular Chinese import OHV engines.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Any of the Subaru/Robin OPE engines I've seen lately appear to be regular Chinese import OHV engines.

If customers are paying a premium for a certain brand name, it makes no sense to do so if they're built in China. The general rule is that with Chinese manufacturing, quality drops off compared to Japanese built engines. Why pay for something you're not getting. If I were to buy a new engine I certainly wouldn't pay a hundred or three more for a Chinese built Robin-Subaru, Honda or any other premium brand. Might a well buy a Champion for hundreds less.

Quote:
The general rule is that with Chinese manufacturing, quality drops off compared to Japanese built engines.

I'm of the opinion that Japanese MFGs insist on near equal
quality when they have engines/parts made in China.
China CAN build quality in IF the buyer insists on it.

Subaru is wrapping up small engine/OPE operations. I have 2 EX series engines on a generator and a pressure washer, and both have been solid for 10+ years. Also have a Honda GX on a trash pump which is 15 years old and still running great. Robin/Subaru I will miss thee.

Clone engines are taking over. Honda is moving some GX production to China. GS and GC series are still US made.....I think.

I have both Subaru and Honda GX, GC engines. I would buy a Honda GX over a Subaru, but would buy a Subaru over a Honda GC or any variety of Briggs [except Vanguard], and any variety of Chinese knockoffs. The main reason is parts for the GX is cheaper than the Subaru. Also, as Punisher has said, i believe Subaru is getting out of the small OPE engine market.

I LOVE my Robin EX engine...absolutely love it. I had a Robin in an older Powermate generator and the parts were easily available through a distributor. My newest Robin 9HP runs like a dream, very smooth and quiet.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second on any of the Robins...especially the EX series.

Plus I really like the OHC design over the OHV of the Hondas....however both are excellent.

Robin/ Fuji Heavy industry used to make all the Polaris ATV motors which were very stout. Polaris has since bought their shares back and now produce thier own motors but I think the Robin's were superior to the newer Polaris motors and especially the Polaris Liberty.

FWIW: From what little I've seen/looked, spare parts for the china clonedbuilt Honda GX engines seen at Northern Tool and Harbor Freight are dirt cheap and exchange directly between Honda and off-brand engines.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Robin/ Fuji Heavy industry used to make all the Polaris ATV motors which were very stout. Polaris has since bought their shares back and now produce thier own motors but I think the Robin's were superior to the newer Polaris motors and especially the Polaris Liberty.

I stopped buying Polaris products when they stopped using Fuji engines. Have two Polaris machines with Fuji two cycle engines. They're as good as anything out there. Strong and reliable.

I also stopped buying Arctic Cat machines since they stopped using Suzuki engines and power trains. Both companies had a great deal of success with the Japanese components. Too bad they decided to build in house engines, which are not in the same league as the Japapanese engines.

I prefer Honda because the parts are really cheap, easy to find, and you hardly ever need to buy any. I've only seen maybe 5 or 6 Subaru engines. One came through last year with a broken crank shaft. It was on a Little Wonder leaf blower just out of warranty, and the shaft broke right outside the block. Judging by the look of the break it was a materials failure for sure. The engine was replaced with a 9HP Honda GX since a new crankshaft proved hard to find and very expensive.

The Predator 212 engines from Harbor Freight are pretty good for what you get. Lots of people build them for go karts so brand new never used stock parts are all over ebay for really cheap. I've built a few minibikes using Predator 212's and they are pushing 12 HP or so with no issues.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:
The general rule is that with Chinese manufacturing, quality drops off compared to Japanese built engines.

I'm of the opinion that Japanese MFGs insist on near equal
quality when they have engines/parts made in China.
China CAN build quality in IF the buyer insists on it.

You're probably right but "near equal" doesn't cut it for me.

When I buy Japanese built products I KNOW I'm getting top notch equipment. With anything coming from China, I never have that sense of confidence. When Chinese built products achieve the lofty accomplishments and long term dependability of Japanese engines, I'll change my mind. Until then, I'll pay the premium and buy Japanese first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back