Jeep Liberty, 2012 ATF and filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing the filter and fluid in the pan. Fluid was a little less pink and a hint of tan when on the paper towel. I will put a pan on with a drain plug so I can easily change it from now on.
It uses ATF+4 fluid. Is there a synthetic version that can be used in this, or will it make no difference.
I have 83,000 miles, and supposedly an auxiliary cooler within this AC/Condensor. Not sure how Jeep makes it work, but apparently all Jeep Libertys that had towing packages got it, but all 2012's got it.

I believe ATF+4 is already synthetic.

Lots of manufacturers have gone to the condenser/cooler setup. The top 4-5 rows of the "condenser" are actually the ATF cooler and the rest of it is the condenser. Makes you wonder just how good a job it does on s 100+ degree day with the Freon pouring heat back into the trans cooler.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I believe ATF+4 is already synthetic. Lots of manufacturers have gone to the condenser/cooler setup. The top 4-5 rows of the "condenser" are actually the ATF cooler and the rest of it is the condenser. Makes you wonder just how good a job it does on s 100+ degree day with the Freon pouring heat back into the trans cooler.

You are correct sir, ATF+4 is all synthetic. And on the cooling...yep the whole system gets to work harder in hotter temps. But I haven't heard anything about the Liberty having cooling problems like the original Cherokees.

Originally Posted By: steve40th
I am changing the filter and fluid in the pan. Fluid was a little less pink and a hint of tan when on the paper towel. I will put a pan on with a drain plug so I can easily change it from now on.
It uses ATF+4 fluid. Is there a synthetic version that can be used in this, or will it make no difference.
I have 83,000 miles, and supposedly an auxiliary cooler within this AC/Condensor. Not sure how Jeep makes it work, but apparently all Jeep Libertys that had towing packages got it, but all 2012's got it.

Let us know how the job is....GF's 08 will need some fresh fluid in the spring...

Libertys don't have cooling problems really.

Are you sure the trans cooler is part of the condenser? I haven't looked at a KK in awhile but the KJ era had an aux cooler that sits in front of the condenser. (early ones had one built into the radiator)

AAP has Castrol ATF+4 on sale for $5.50/qt, 2 for $11 (but you have to buy in multiples of two)

That said, all licensed ATF+4 is the same, and uses a group III base oil. Every ATF+4 that appears on Chrysler's official ATF+4 approved list uses the same group III base oil and the same Lubrizol add pack. Castrol's is licensed, and so is Walmart's store brand ATF+4

However, the best ATF to use where ATF+4 is called for is Redline C+. Even though it is NOT licensed ATF+4 because it uses an unauthorized group V base oil, it does use the same Lubrizol add pack for licensed ATF+4

Thanks for all the guidance everyone. I dont have a way to check temperature, other than a infared light. Its pretty accurate, but, nt sure where the Jeep transmission temp is most reliable to test at.
Redline C huh. I will look into that.
Supposedly all 2012 KKs got the towing transmission cooler, which is integrated with the ac condensor.
I will go shopping tomorrow at WalMart to see the ATF+4. The owners manual doesnt say its synthetic, like it does for rear gear oil, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back