Multimeter Alligator Clips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a YouTube video that told me how to check for a parasitic battery drain. All I have to do is unhook the Negative battery cable from the battery and hook my Ampmeter in series with the Negative battery cable. I do this by hooking the Positive multimeter lead to the Negative battery cable and then hook the Negative multimeter lead to the Negative battery post. But what I need is a hands-free way to attach the multimeter leads and have them stay hooked up while I pull the fuses one at a time. Right now all I have are the two leads with the sharp points.

Will these work ?

31Jmtsgn7NL.jpg

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Not sure if those $25 Fluke clips you pictured are the slip-on type. Pricey though, Fluke is good stuff.

I'd have to get the separate TL224 leads that plug into them.

My other option is the AC175 alligator clips that screw onto my TL75 leads, but they have smaller jaws.

i made my own before with Butt Connectors on the leads of the multimeter and a cheap set of alligator clips from napa or harbor freight. Just slip the butt connector on the lead and crimp on the bare wire end of the alligator clip and you have a $3 set of clips.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Not sure if those $25 Fluke clips you pictured are the slip-on type. Pricey though, Fluke is good stuff.

I'd have to get the separate TL224 leads that plug into them.

My other option is the AC175 alligator clips that screw onto my TL75 leads, but they have smaller jaws.

So you have a Fluke multi-meter? Go figure. We have Fluke meters in the QC lab that get certified calibration. Haven't found anything my $30 Craftsman meter won't do adequately around the house (with my limited electrical abilities).

Those clips should work. I got similar ones on ebay. Another option would be to get a DC clamp meter. They are about $30-$40.

For jobs that I am only going to do once in blue moon, I usually cobble something together. You could gently squeeze your meter leads to the battery connections with vise grips or go out and spend $4 on a pair squeeze clamps to hold things together.
0745903.jpg

So you have a Fluke multi-meter? Go figure. We have Fluke meters in the QC lab that get certified calibration. Haven't found anything my $30 Craftsman meter won't do adequately around the house (with my limited electrical abilities).

Yes, but I was only using it because my Harbor Freight meter had one it its leads pull out of the probe. I was trying to figure out how to reattach the bare wire on the end of the lead back into the probe, but it looks like the probe doesn't come apart to allow for reattaching the bare wire.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Be careful not to smoke your meter.

There should be a 10A fuse on the circuit he is using, but you're absolutely right... Id want to verify loads via clamp on first to determine if there are inrushes, and if so, parallel another jumper.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

There should be a 10A fuse on the circuit he is using, but you're absolutely right... Id want to verify loads via clamp on first to determine if there are inrushes, and if so, parallel another jumper.

By disconnecting grnd from vehicle, and replacing said wire with a meter, the odds of something going poof are very high, imho.
The readings will be “all over the place”, as things seek out the ground.

Hope you find the phantom, best of luck, and be carefull, dc voltage can be oh so unforgiving.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

By disconnecting grnd from vehicle, and replacing said wire with a meter, the odds of something going poof are very high, imho.
The readings will be “all over the place”, as things seek out the ground.

Hope you find the phantom, best of luck, and be carefull, dc voltage can be oh so unforgiving.

Totally agree. That's why OP needs to take care.

Modern meters have low DCV volt ranges. While not calibrated in ANY sense, and a little temperature sensitive, I have been very successful in sticking pins in the positive wire as far apart as practical and reading voltage drop. You can somewhat "calibrate" by noting the change when you turn headlamps on which with typical 55W or 60W lamps will be about 10 amps in low beam.

For you electrical guys, we're using the lead as a shunt. Really rough, assume #1 wire is 125 micro-ohm/ft so 1 ft of wire will give 125 microvolts per amp. Do not use the connector, go into the wire.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Pomona is owned by Fluke and are equivalent quality at a lower price.

Thanks for that Link Johnny. I'm now looking at the Pomona alligator clips.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Pomona is owned by Fluke and are equivalent quality at a lower price.

Never heard of them and thanks for the heads up.

Pomona has been around for ages. They just do not do big box retail and are primarily sold through industrial catalog supply houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back