FZ-07 winter/summer recommendation for Phoenix AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

grj

Greetings,
New Yamaha FZ-07 owner here - year-round daily work commuter. I'm preparing for the first oil change at 600 miles. Dec-Jan early morning temps can get into the mid-low 30s here in Phoenix. The bike is garage parked at night so it is unlikely I would start it up below ~50 deg F. Based on the chart from the manual, I should run 15W-40 for winter and 20W-50 for summer:

I'd like to stay within Yamaha recommendation under warranty but as far as I know there is no Yamalube in 15W-40 or 20w-40.
Any Phoenix commuters here? What do you use? Is it OK to run 20W-50 all year long or 10w-40 for winter?
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Hows that air conditioner work out when its 120 plus?

Last year I commuted year round on my Honda - even in August! Luckily my commute is only about 15 minutes mostly freeway so it is tolerable and no A/C needed
smile.gif

welcome2.gif
Either grade would be fine. Amsoil makes a 20W-40 synthetic oil in addition to a 10W-40. HDEOs will work, and are available in 5W-40 and 15W-40, although my bike does not shift as well with 5W-40 Rotella as it does with 10W-40 synthetic bike oil.

20/50 would be ok all year.
Me personally, based on your post, 15/40 winter and 20/50 as soon as the low temps are in the 60+ range.

or if available in an MA, 15/50 as someone else said.
I use a 15/50 non Jaso oil all year, I do ride a few times a month over winter when temps are in the upper 50s to low 70s. However the oil is not shared with the clutch so no concerns about moly or other slippery stuff. I dont think you will find a reasonably priced 15/50 with an MA rating but I could be wrong on that.

You could mix 2 20/50 and 2 10/40 of standard Motorcycle oil of the same brand and exact type, though I think mixing is not ideal because we assume (most likely correct though) it has the same additives.

I did that with my last Metric and used conventional Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil which I think is underated. Ran UOAs on it and posted them in here, that was years ago.
Inexpensive, good stuff, $4 a quart in Walmart and no matter how little you use the bike over the winter, you can throw it away in the spring at little cost.

Last edited:
Amsoil 20w-50 shifts nice runs nice in my 02 FZ1. Try it,you'll like it. MY bike didn't like the Mobil Racing 10w-40. I think the thicker bottom 20w is better. Hope this helps.

just bought a case of spectro platinum 15-50 motorcycle oil @ $13 a L del, said to be all PAO, but usually has some Ester in the blend. in Pa it flows good enough for cooler riding as well as protects in the heat, when its cold i use a cage!!! it will suit all 3 bikes i own!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! The 15W-40 Rotella T and Rotella T4 look good maybe for next winter after the warranty is up just because Yamaha does not recommend the SAE CD or higher diesel oils even though they are JASO MA friendly. There are plenty of 20w-50s out there specific for motorcycles that look great even Yamalube. But 15W-40s JASO MA/MA2 seem rare as hen's teeth!
For this year I'll probably go with 10w-40 for winter then change up to 20w-50 in the spring time. I have this snippet from the owner's manual too:

Interesting note regarding diesel oils from Yamaha, first I have ever seen.

I suspect because of the newer CK oils and increasing use of some substances in some formulas to increase fuel mileage.

Im sure it would be fine but I like you would just listen to the manual.
Quite honestly, there is no reason to not listen to the manual.
Valvoline motorcycle oils are well priced in both synthetic and conventional so the decision is simple.

Originally Posted By: grj
Thanks everyone for the feedback! The 15W-40 Rotella T and Rotella T4 look good maybe for next winter after the warranty is up just because Yamaha does not recommend the SAE CD or higher diesel oils even though they are JASO MA friendly. There are plenty of 20w-50s out there specific for motorcycles that look great even Yamalube. But 15W-40s JASO MA/MA2 seem rare as hen's teeth!
For this year I'll probably go with 10w-40 for winter then change up to 20w-50 in the spring time. I have this snippet from the owner's manual too:

First of all, congrats on the FZ-07, they're an awesome bike! What it really boils down to is if you want to utilize two separate oil viscosities per year (vs just one), and what you're willing to pay for a JASO MA rated oil. If you're okay spending around $15 per qt., the YAMALUBE full synthetic 15W50 (PAO/Ester based) would be a perfect oil year round. If you're looking for something around the $4 per qt. range the Valvoline motorcycle oil in 10W40/20W50 is a great bang for the buck and you can alternate between those two viscosities throughout the year. Keep in mind that you could run 10W40 all year (10 degrees on up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit), and as Alarmguy stated, even the 20W50 could be run year long with no ill effects.

Last edited:
Great suggestions guys - I like the idea of the Yamalube 15W50 synthetic but the Valvoline 10W40 and 20W50 as recommended by AlarmGuy and Analyzer are cheap
grin.gif

I see also the Castrol Actevo 20W50 is $19.98 / gal at Walmart - good price!

M1, 15W-50 and or M1 20W-50 are both very robust choices for hard working motorcycle engines in hot climates. Both have excellent low temp pour points.

I ran 20-50 year around in Tucson for 85K miles in my Yamaha, sold the bike and he ran it 2 years before he crashed off mount Lemon.
YMMV

Smoky

Ahhh ... yes, Castrol Activo from Walmart, good price, semi syn, I never used it but thought about it more then a few times when I owned metric bikes and actually wouldnt discredit it for my current bike.

Anyway, If I was you, I would buy it without hesitation and use it.
Its a great price, name brand oil, has been around a long time. The key once you do use it, like any oil in a bike with a shared sump, see how well the nice shifting holds up after some miles are put on it, I suspect it will be better then most.
If not, then try the Valvoline.

But if it was me, I would run out try the Activo right now since its a reasonable priced semi syn and maybe marketing has the best of me but I like the Castrol brand name. (long story) But a very long time ago, it was the go to oil, even by Consumer Reports.

Last edited:
the mobil I 15-50 is relatively cheap @ wallys, if not on the shelves it can be ordered in with free ship on a minimum order basis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back