1993 Saturn SL2 Mobil 1, 5,544 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Oil change consisted of 1 quart Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-20, 3 quarts Mobil 1 5w-30, and a 15 ounce bottle of STP High Mileage Engine Treatment. BOSCH Distance Plus D3422. Additional 2 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 used for top-off during the OCI, hey that's not bad for this ol' girl

OCI duration ~2.5 months

It's interesting that you get a UOA on a 24 year old Saturn. At $26 on Amazon it's the cost of an OC. Is it just for fun or did you suspect a problem? It says first sample on the report.

Just for fun. 2 kits were less than $22 including shipping from RA. It cost $3.64 to ship it to the lab.

I'd go at least 7,500 if you're using Mobil 1 and topping off. I'd move up a grade and skip the STP, unless you were using up thinner oils on hand...

Can't believe someone above questioned the economics of this. Its a hobby. Its interesting. Its chemistry, engines, and oil. Some people paint or construct scale models, with no economic gain, and this is in that category.

I'd go for at least 15,000 miles given you add a quart about every 2,000 miles, that is pretty often, and it restores a lot of TBN, VII, etc. And you're using a full synthetic. Use a Fram Ultra oil filter to go that long. Or at least use M1 Ext Perf oil filters if not Ultra.
I'm surprised viscosity kv100 wasn't higher, like around 11 or 12 since you put in a very thick liquid (15 oz STP HM Oil Treatment is very thick). You must have some fuel dilution from old rings (blowby), and of course may be shearing down the VII chemicals in the Mobil1 some.

You're smart for using at least some High Mileage oil to help keep the seals flexible and soft enough to perform and not leak in the future. STP has some in it too. I wouldn't put in STP since you're topping off so much.

Saturns seem to have the ability to run forever. Seen this before.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Can't believe someone above questioned the economics of this. Its a hobby. Its interesting. Its chemistry, engines, and oil. Some people paint or construct scale models, with no economic gain, and this is in that category.

That would be me. I asked about his motivation for a UOA and he answered. Was also curious about the Wix UOA so searched and found the kit for sale on Amazon. Nice info that RA has them for a much lower price. I get the hobby part or wouldn't be here. Thanks for the shade though.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That would be me. .... I get the hobby part or wouldn't be here.

Its just that, I wouldn't go on a Birdwatching website, for example, and ask them what money they save by buying cameras and binoculars to watch birds. I've seen this attitude my whole life: Engineering and science doesn't get the credit it deserves as a valid, interesting hobby. Not just a business. Curiosity for how things work. ---- That doesn't need profitability or $$ savings.

That would be me. .... I get the hobby part or wouldn't be here.

Its just that, I wouldn't go on a Birdwatching website, for example, and ask them what money they save by buying cameras and binoculars to watch birds. I've seen this attitude my whole life: Engineering and science doesn't get the credit it deserves as a valid, interesting hobby. Not just a business. Curiosity for how things work. ---- That doesn't need profitability or $$ savings.

Yeah well, a large number of posts on BITOG are all about getting oil on closeout at where ever. Doing a UOA on a $500 car was interesting enough to ask about and got a bonus heads-up about discount prices on Wix kits. Didn't seem to bother the OP any but I guess I'm guilty of whatever you're insinuating. Amazing how you know so much about someone from one short sentence.

OP, have you owned the Saturn long? I had a young female employee once who had one of those and never had it serviced in the 3 years she worked for me and she coudn't kill it.

That would be me. I asked about his motivation for a UOA and he answered. Was also curious about the Wix UOA so searched and found the kit for sale on Amazon. Nice info that RA has them for a much lower price. I get the hobby part or wouldn't be here. Thanks for the shade though.

You could ask the same question to any private owner requesting a UOA whether they have a 2015 Porsche or a 1999 Olds...
19793901-relieved-european-man-with-beautiful-palm-reader.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back