My Colorado the race car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well not quite...

watching the bathurst coverage, top ten is coming up soonish, and they mentioned that the V-8 utes are going this year.

Ford stopped making the ute, Holden will this year when they cease production in Oz.

Biggest growing segment is turbodiesel 4 door utes, so this is the new racing series.

Turbodiesel 4 door utes...

This one just watch the first few minutes

That was brilliant lap.

They pulled his best section times from the week's activities, and put them together into a sub 4 second...and he pulled it off.

When you do make it here, new house has a spare room...

And Holden is rumoured to be doing a Camaro in the next supercar series.

We, of course, have a somewhat comparable truck series. The irony is that as the Australian series gets under way with the support of six manufacturers, the early enthusiasm U.S. fans had for our (now titled) "Camping World Truck Series," begun here in '91, has faded significantly over the years. The racing is as competitive as ever, but the fan base has fallen off to the point that NASCAR almost has to pay the fans to show up -- something that's all too apparent when the TV cameras happen to capture the grandstands during the events. (This, IMHO, is what inevitably comes of writing competition regulations intended to "equalize" (sic) the field -- i.e., cater to the manufacturers paying the bills.)

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Why are all of your truck/auto plants closing in Oz?

Because we have embraced the "service economy"...hairdressers buying cappuccinos, baristas having their hair dressed, and sending all that spare money overseas.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Why are all of your truck/auto plants closing in Oz?

Because we have embraced the "service economy"...hairdressers buying cappuccinos, baristas having their hair dressed, and sending all that spare money overseas.

I thought your government strictly limited the money you Aussie's could send overseas.

Last edited:
They limit what an individual can send over (not very well, I know of people on study visas sending $1k/week "home")...but seem OK with us losing every manufacturing industry.

That's the sending money overseas that I was referring to...

'cept with Baristas getting haircuts, and hairdressers buying coffee, there's not really going to be that much spare to buy the stuff.

NZ 30 years ago - ''Think outside the box'' manufacturers were told. Some did, and we are known for it, but a lot of people paid the price.

What are they going to do about the different engine capacities and torque outputs ? Or was that after the 30 second when I turned off ?

Sky is getting worried, even streaming is out now. I wonder if there is something else more important for me to do than watch motor racing on a sunday afternoon. ?

They are going to Standard engines with MOTEC controls.

Limited to 320hp, 500lbft...so not sure how that fits with the different capacities.

Ford/Mazda 3.2L 5 cyl.
Mitsubishi 2.4
Holden 2.8 VM
Isuzu 3.0
Nissan twin turbo 2.4

Anyone going to play with the 2.8 Cummins in a Foton Tunland ?

Mecedes, Renault, Tata, Great Wall ?

Reading a bit about it in a trade rag today - they are going to use the MOTEC for parity. So is the Triton going to be wound up, and the Ranger wound down...and what about the little Colorado having 500mn of torque ? A lot more relevant for down here with diesels...although 4x4 for getting out of the kitty litter would be an advantage.

Latest sales figures here has the Colorado jumping the Triton into 3rd place. But a big ask for it to get anywhere near the Ranger or Hi Lux.

Wonder who the first person who fits one of these "kits" to a road car and gets it registered is going to be.

:runs off to buy lottery products:

I'm skeptical about how much long-term interest this will generate. Turbodiesel engines limited to 340HP powering 3970-pound vehicles will not make for much of a spectacle. The engines will be too quiet, and a weight to power ratio of almost 12:1 will not make for very fast cars. (My Camaro is about 12:1 W/P) The SCCA had a 4-cylinder racing minitruck series back in the late '80's or so. Compact pickups powered by 4-cylinder engines. Jeep dominated for a couple of years, but the series did not survive.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
They are going to Standard engines with MOTEC controls.

Limited to 320hp, 500lbft...so not sure how that fits with the different capacities.

Ford/Mazda 3.2L 5 cyl.
Mitsubishi 2.4
Holden 2.8 VM
Isuzu 3.0
Nissan twin turbo 2.4

Anyone going to play with the 2.8 Cummins in a Foton Tunland ?

Mecedes, Renault, Tata, Great Wall ?

2 HP per cubic inch is pretty do-able in modern turbodiesels, so anything more than 2.8 Liters should be competitive. The 2.4 liter Mitsubishi's and Nissan's may lag slightly.

None of them are going to be revving past 5,000rpm, so it's all about torque....x rpm. A petrol V8 ute means nothing down here, the public want to see what they drive out on the track.

Originally Posted By: Silk
None of them are going to be revving past 5,000rpm, so it's all about torque....x rpm. A petrol V8 ute means nothing down here, the public want to see what they drive out on the track.

Most of the people around me at work are looking forward to them...that's what an awefule lot of us in the country drive, Colorado started outselling the Commodores a long time ago.

The V-8 Utes are city slickers who can't get them across the speed humps in our carparks up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back