Almost new genset with 100 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in the storm aftermath, a few top end gensets are hitting the open market and I have a chance to pickup one top+of+the+line honda inverter at about 20% off new price.

This one appears to be (have not performed a close inspection yet, just phone interview to check out credentials and scam radar detection..) installed new this year and run almost non-stop for hundred hours and I suspect based on the vague answers, no oil changes were done. No idea also what oil they put in since new.

Assuming my worst fears are true and that I can perform a closer inspection before buying, how cautious should I be or just ignore it and assume it would be Ok with some immediate OC's at this point ? My assumption is that I would be allowed no more than 5 minutes to examine, perhaps start it, maybe connect some power tool to verify and that would be the limit. If the dipstick shows a metal sliver tar pit droplet, how much of a concern and how loud of an alarm should ring off ?

If the seller doesn't have the receipt call the fuzz on him.

This genny will be cheaper next February when everyone forgets about hurricanes and needs money for Xmas bills.

IDK why someone would spontaneously buy a top shelf inverter generator to survive a storm unless they had no other option.

Bring along enough electric heaters to load it down close to 100 percent of rated load and see if it can supply them for 15 minutes non-stop. If it can't then forget about it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

This genny will be cheaper next February when everyone forgets about hurricanes and needs money for Xmas bills.

IDK why someone would spontaneously buy a top shelf inverter generator to survive a storm unless they had no other option.

They likely did not want to chase fuel down. These invertor ones sip fuel.

When you bring along the electric heaters keep in mind that it probably only has two 120 Volt outlets, and if it requires more than two electric heaters to load it down close to 100 percent you will require extension cords with multiple outlets on it to branch the connections out to more than two connections.

How many Watts is it rated for?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
100 hrs is high mileage for 20% off new.

I would aim for 2/3 new price.

Is that true? It's barely past break-in.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Bingo. 4 months from now, you won't be able to give away a generator. Complete buyer's market.

Originally Posted By: henni
So, in the storm aftermath, a few top end gensets are hitting the open market and I have a chance to pickup one top+of+the+line honda inverter at about 20% off new price.

This one appears to be (have not performed a close inspection yet, just phone interview to check out credentials and scam radar detection..) installed new this year and run almost non-stop for hundred hours and I suspect based on the vague answers, no oil changes were done. No idea also what oil they put in since new.

Assuming my worst fears are true and that I can perform a closer inspection before buying, how cautious should I be or just ignore it and assume it would be Ok with some immediate OC's at this point ? My assumption is that I would be allowed no more than 5 minutes to examine, perhaps start it, maybe connect some power tool to verify and that would be the limit. If the dipstick shows a metal sliver tar pit droplet, how much of a concern and how loud of an alarm should ring off ?

I don't understand why your worried about one continuous 100 hour run on the oil. That's nothing. I would say though, 20% off is not enough. I would thing 1/3 rd off would seem about right.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: henni

I don't understand why your worried about one continuous 100 hour run on the oil. That's nothing. I would say though, 20% off is not enough. I would thing 1/3 rd off would seem about right.

Actually, 100 hours is pushing the limits for an oil change on a generator.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Btw it's only called a genset when you have two.

In the boating industry they are called gensets. Come to think of it, in the commercial UPS / backup world they are commonly called gensets. No idea if this is a misuse of the term.

Last edited:
A Honda generator will easily go 100 hours on it's first oil change. I'd run it, pull the dipstick, if it looks good, it very likely OK. However, folks in the Keys were without power much longer than 100 hours.

The top of the line Honda inverter is the EU7000iS. MSRP is 4495.00 but they can be had new for about 3800.

Though it was supposed to have a change at 20 hours, thereafter the recommended change interval is 100hrs/6 months.

It has an hour meter built into the iMonitor.

As long as it passes a rigorous inspection, I’m thinking 20% off 3800 (3000ish) be not a bad deal.

I agree. Does it have an hour meter? There claim of 100 hours is likely WAY low. It could have 500 hours on the factory oil. Eek.

My scam detector has already triggered.

1.) Why are they selling a new high-quality generator after only one storm? In Florida. Which has major storms frequently, including the upcoming Nate.

2.) Your statement that they gave "vague answers".

...and yes, in my industry (major telecom) they are also called gensets. It's a prime mover and a generator in one "set".

OK, it's actually an alternator...pick pick pick.

100hrs on factory fill is too long, plus as a new engine you would most likely need to add some before that, so on something new like that saving a couple hundred bucks isn't worth the peice of mind of whether or not it was already low on oil.

This is a EU7000is and was used at a medical facilty that lost power during statewide outage. They paid 4400 for it and I would pay about 1k less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back