Market Value of Memory cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 bit ISA full card slot 2MB. AT compatible. Test good in a 5170.

Last edited:
My dad would buy that for $1. He still runs a 640x480 digital camera with the battery door taped shut.

You'd have to find a nerd who appreciates it. The problems with old film SLRs, 1980s computers, VCRs etc is that they were expensive, have memories attached, don't take much space up in the attic, and everyone who needs one, has one.

Considering it's for a ~ 30 y/o computer that nobody in their right mind would be running today, no value except to a collector who might be willing to pay shipping.

If you have some old processors they would be worth more due to the gold pin plating. Maybe the memory has gold plated slot contacts? If so it might be worth scrap value to someone who salvages a lot at a time to make it worth their bother. I probably have a few megs of the stuff in a box somewhere but none is gold plated, all tin IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

How are you on BITOG with that thing?!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Look on eBay. $1 might be generous.

I have, and they going for $60+, there are only two listings, that is a very poor aggregate.

and of course I want to know the "collector" value of this, those PC's are collectible and there is a niche market, am I really going to sell this to someone that needs it for a buck? Maybe if I didn't know it worked, but I do and you're crazy.

Last edited:

it is worthless. If you get really lucky, you might run into a collector that will pay for shipping just to display it on the shelf.
The 5170 is worthless as well.

W
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

How are you on BITOG with that thing?!
crackmeup2.gif

comes with an AOL disc

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Look on eBay. $1 might be generous.

I have, and they going for $60+, there are only two listings, that is a very poor aggregate.

and of course I want to know the "collector" value of this, those PC's are collectible and there is a niche market, am I really going to sell this to someone that needs it for a buck? Maybe if I didn't know it worked, but I do and you're crazy.

There are a lot of listings on eBay where people list cheap stuff for very high prices, especially in computers. Two things drive this phenomena : clueless people that do not know the true worth of an item, and company purchasing agents who are told to go out and buy "this exact item" because they need it to repair a computer. The 2nd example rarely (but sometimes) occurs. I wrote programs for a huge, well established Fortune 100 company to analyze this sort of data: our system had a feature that let just about anybody "flag" a purchase request as "questionable". Mining that data, I found about 25 examples of paying outrageous prices for essentially a worthless item across millions of purchases over 20+ years. It also happened for telecom equipment, in the old days PBX. I am sure it probably happens on occasion in other product sectors. But the odds of you getting more than zero on that item are pretty remote.
In fact, the analysis I did was trying to find wasteful purchases in the company and educating people to prevent it. It turns out people are generally smarter in this regard than we expected, so the project to analyze that data cost more than the potential savings.

My sister paid a few hundred dollars for a completely obsolete computer. Bought it from a friend as her first computer. I think her friend thought she was giving my sister a good deal because it was such a big markdown from the original cost. Neither of them knew what it was worth - which in my opinion was just about zero.

It's only 2 MB. That doesn't even appeal to retro fans. There were larger cards made in that era. Maybe if it was genuine IBM, but it is not.

This is in the sell for metal category. There is gold inside most old chips, even those that don't look gold on the outside.

It is dated but this is all I have to go by....
Quote:
Below are just some rambling and wild [censored] guessing based on way too much eBay browsing, and observations. Note that I mostly look at IBM PC stuff but accessories for other systems are always sought after.

A genuine IBM PC, XT, or AT can sell for a couple hundred.
A common clone PC, XT, or AT can go for $50-$100
Early clones such as Columbia Data Products, Eagle Computers, Compaq, Leading Edge, Kaypro, PCs Limited (before they became Dell), are desirable if they are in good condition.
Good monochrome or color monitors perhaps $50-100.
IBM PGA monitors are quite rare - these are often mistaken as non functional because they do not work with VGA and require IBM's PGA video card to operate.
The original NEC Multisync is sought after - it does not use a VGA connector, but can work with VGA, EGA and much more.
Non-standard monitors for proprietary systems - depends on which system.
Late 80's/Early 90s VGA CRTs - Unless they are IBM branded, they are worthless.
Late 1990s, early 2000s VGA CRT - these are the ones everyone wants, as they are higher quality and higher resolution.
TI-99/4a consoles don't go for too much (they were dumped on the market at the end of their life)
TI-99/4a Peripheral Expansion Boxes can go for $100-200 depending if they have installed cards
Corcomp or Myarc disk controllers for the TI-99/4a... well, how big is your bank account?
Laser 128/128ex - $80-$100 perhaps a bit more with accessories. Missing power supply will hurt the price.
Cassette tape recorders designed for computer use - The Tandy CCR-82s are good ones. ~$25 in good condition. Drive belts WILL need replacment, but those are easy to obtain and install.

Condition is important. A non-fucntioning yellowed rustbucket is not worth nearly as much as something in good working condition.

It is dated but this is all I have to go by....
Quote:
Below are just some rambling and wild [censored] guessing based on way too much eBay browsing, and observations. Note that I mostly look at IBM PC stuff but accessories for other systems are always sought after.

A genuine IBM PC, XT, or AT can sell for a couple hundred.
A common clone PC, XT, or AT can go for $50-$100
Early clones such as Columbia Data Products, Eagle Computers, Compaq, Leading Edge, Kaypro, PCs Limited (before they became Dell), are desirable if they are in good condition.
Good monochrome or color monitors perhaps $50-100.
IBM PGA monitors are quite rare - these are often mistaken as non functional because they do not work with VGA and require IBM's PGA video card to operate.
The original NEC Multisync is sought after - it does not use a VGA connector, but can work with VGA, EGA and much more.
Non-standard monitors for proprietary systems - depends on which system.
Late 80's/Early 90s VGA CRTs - Unless they are IBM branded, they are worthless.
Late 1990s, early 2000s VGA CRT - these are the ones everyone wants, as they are higher quality and higher resolution.
TI-99/4a consoles don't go for too much (they were dumped on the market at the end of their life)
TI-99/4a Peripheral Expansion Boxes can go for $100-200 depending if they have installed cards
Corcomp or Myarc disk controllers for the TI-99/4a... well, how big is your bank account?
Laser 128/128ex - $80-$100 perhaps a bit more with accessories. Missing power supply will hurt the price.
Cassette tape recorders designed for computer use - The Tandy CCR-82s are good ones. ~$25 in good condition. Drive belts WILL need replacment, but those are easy to obtain and install.

Condition is important. A non-fucntioning yellowed rustbucket is not worth nearly as much as something in good working condition.

When you say dated: well, in computers, age and computing power is everything! I had 10+ 22 inch Mitsubishi monitors from around 2005 that cost $2000 each new, and tried to sell them around 2010: no takers at all as everybody wanted flat screen. They did not cost me anything, but I recall I had to give them away one by one. I have tons of experience in commercial new and used systems from low end PC's to high end servers, midrange and mainframe, SAN, core telco, enterprise network gear, PBX etc., multi-million dollar deals. About the only solid rules in that game are that: you better get your ROI back in 3-5 years. At best, the hardware will be worthless in 5 years, at worse 3 years. (longer is better here). There are some rare exceptions to this rule of course, but nothing on your list strikes me as desirable. You can always put an item up on eBay for a starting price of $1 plus shipping, and see how it goes. You might get lucky and some collector wants it for their shelf.

I will point out 2 exceptions: First gen Apple I, first gen Altair, very early Apple II. I think first gen Apple I only had about 100 total made, and only 5-10 are known to exist.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
My sister paid a few hundred dollars for a completely obsolete computer. Bought it from a friend as her first computer. I think her friend thought she was giving my sister a good deal because it was such a big markdown from the original cost. Neither of them knew what it was worth - which in my opinion was just about zero.

I have all the receipts. Paid $2200 at Circuit City! Don't lowball me, I know what I've got!
laugh.gif

I remember back in 1999, a friend of mine owned a computer store. My old TRS-80 Model IV was in my dad's basement still, gathering dust, of course. He asked my friend if he'd like to sell it at his store, thinking he'd be able to get "something" for it. We explained to him its value would be less than the shelf space it would occupy, except, perhaps, to collectors.

that card is only of value to someone who needs to maintain antiques and collectors.
most of us in these categories stockpile stuff as we find good deals or free stuff.
yes you may have some success selling on ebay but this depends on you finding a lazy collector that wants instant gratification or someone whose mission critical system went down.
this sort of stuff usually finds me and often free.
one would be amazed at the antique stuff still in use.
and getting it repaired requires someone who worked with the stuff when new.
the local geek squad refers all the oddball repairs to me.
and some real odd stuff lands on my bench where replacement is near impossible and upgrading to modern stuff is not happening.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I have all the receipts. Paid $2200 at Circuit City! Don't lowball me, I know what I've got!
laugh.gif

you have a heavy box of e-waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back