mait light 2012 camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
best friends sister bought a used camry a few moths back. its at least a 2012 i can tell by the body style. co worker has a 2011 and it looks totally different. we went to a soccer game a week ago and she asked me what the light ment on her dash and it said "mait req". dealer sticker says change it at 75K and she is just over it. told her i would do it for her since i got a big stash of 0w20 and going somewhere else it could be expensive. so i plan on doing it tomorrow. I plan on using my valvoline full syn 0w20 w/maxlife tech i got from autozone for $2 a bottle and i picked up a super tech ST9972 from wal-mart for $2.84. i dont know the manual on these types of toyotas. do you change the oil every time the light comes on?

Get and read the manual. The light may not even be for the oil but instead something else. Dealers tend to put on a sticker that's just (whatever interval) 3K, 5K, etc mi from when they changed it and may have nothing to do with what the computer thinks is the next time to change it. Dealers tend to spec a lower time than needed, to get the car in to upsell other services.

Maintenance light is for oil changes, on Toyotas they usually come on after 5,000 miles. To reset you usually hold the trip reset button while turning the ignition to on for a few seconds.

The Maintenance Required light comes on every 5k miles which is for tire rotation, check fluid levels, etc. Every 10k/1 year the oil change is due. So depending on the interval it may just need a tire rotation. Which is how it works when you get the free 2 year/25k miles free maintenance when the car is first purchased.

Resetting the MRL is in the owner's manual. I think it may need to be on the TRIP A setting but could be wrong on that.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
I think it does have to show trip a. I forget everytime I change the oil in my wifes camry.

And on the Matrix it has to be on the total miles or it won't reset.

Did a UOA after 10k miles and Iron was 5 ppm. All other wear metals were low also.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Maintenance Required light comes on every 5k miles which is for tire rotation, check fluid levels, etc. Every 10k/1 year the oil change is due. So depending on the interval it may just need a tire rotation. Which is how it works when you get the free 2 year/25k miles free maintenance when the car is first purchased.

Resetting the MRL is in the owner's manual. I think it may need to be on the TRIP A setting but could be wrong on that.
well... if i do the oil change tomorrow i can start it on tht schedule. Idk what the dealer did to it last. Ill see if it has a manual tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

well... if i do the oil change tomorrow i can start it on tht schedule. Idk what the dealer did to it last. Ill see if it has a manual tomorrow.
Heres the owner's manual

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM33A40U/pdf/OM33A40U.pdf

We had a free oil change at the dealer for the 14.5 that we used yesterday. While in there the service manager said that the light at 5K means tire rotation and the light at 10K means oil change and rotation. He advised us to NOT change the oil until 10K. I just laughed.

It is just a mileage counter. The one on our 2010 Sienna comes on at 4500 miles (blinks after startup and then goes out) and stays on steady at 5000 miles. No OLM on these cars.

well got the oil change done today on the car. i used the ST filter and the valvoline full syn W/ maxlife tech. i start my new job monday so i was at work today doing some computer training and grabbed my tools on my way out. get to my friends house and get the car up on ramps and i grabbed everything but the 24MM socket for the oil filter. thought about just leaving it till the next oil change but this they are like a second family to me. so i had to go all the way back home and get a 24mm wrench. Did the oil change and reset the light and was ready to go. i did notice i mild oil leak maybe coming from the timing cover, told her sister to take it back to the dealer since its only been 5K since she bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back