xB question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it the second generation xB the one with the problem of burning oil and sludging up?

The first generation xB has the smaller 1.5L engine also found in the Yaris and many other small Toyota vehicles. Are there any problem areas with this smaller engine.

I'm asking because I just purchased a 2006 (1st gen) xB with 131K miles that runs like new and has a record of dealer service with the recommended 5w-30 conventional oil.

It was the 2.4L 2AZ-Fe engines in the XB that are the oil burners. These are in the Second Generation cars, I think by 2011 or 2012 they fixed the design.

Mine burns a little, but not bad enough to have the work done.

I dont think the 1.5l is known to burn oil.

Many people who loved the 1st gen XB hate the 2nd Gen and vice versa. I bought ours from a relative so I was looking at it from a standpoint of cheaper, reliable transportation, and I thought the XB was kind of a silly car. It has grown on me to the point I love it though.

Its fun to drive and handles great, and its versatile. The poor gas mileage is my only complaint.

Last edited:
there was a user odie who clained both of his yari weeped oil from the HG, but along with my echo, I know (2) other people who have echoes and neither has had an issue with theirs; I have done 'some' reading and I don't recall anyone ever mentioning an issue with their engine. The design is going on 18 years virtually unmodified, a good indication it was correct 'right out of the box'

My echo started to burn 1/qt 3-4K miles at about 170-200K miles, certainly not 2.4L territory.

Last edited:
Well-meaning friends told me that the xB was a self-propelled cardboard box and with that little engine could not keep up or even get out of its own way. Well, I've owned 11 air-cooled VW buss's in my life and to tell you the truth, in comparison this 1st gen xB feels fast and can do 80 on the freeway with no strain at all. The 5-speed works well especially with the TRD short shift kit and with the DC headers and TRD exhaust system it appears to like being buzzed down the road.

I've got the Tien coil-overs and 16" custom wheels and Continental tires I took off if anyone is interested. The 45 series tires have only 2K miles on them and there's a DC tuned intake here as well, all taken off when I got it home.

Wow!
Almost as good a car as a mid-eighties Civic Wagon.
We had two of these Civics back in the day, both of which passed 200K here in the rust zone.
An xB?
Other than the inferior engine and chassis along with the lame attempt at cool look, probably an okay car.
Don't think I'd have one.

The 2nd gen had 2 engines, 1.8L and 2.4L, the 2.4L burned oil. I think the 1.8L was fine.

2009 Scion xB owner here. Had it since August 2016. It was a bday present to me by me. It had 72k miles on it. Now I am closing in at 110k miles. Here are some PROS/CONS so far.

PROS:
-Tons of space.
-Comfortable on long trips.
-Plenty of power in city traffic or mountain toss around.
-Great handling for a refrigerator on wheels.
-One of the coldest A/C systems out there. I had many cars, only 2004 IS300 comes close in comparison.
-ZERO oil consumption so far between oil changes. Starts at full mark and ends at full mark.
-Many more to list... Love the car to pieces.

CONS:
-My fuel consumption is 24mpg city, 31mpg highway. 35mpg would be nice, but the extra power of 2.4L is well worth it.
-Trunk/Hatch area is quite small, due to humongous amount of front and rear seating room.
Could not find any more flaws. Love the car.

Seating position is great, power is great, fuel efficiency is great.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wow!
Almost as good a car as a mid-eighties Civic Wagon.
We had two of these Civics back in the day, both of which passed 200K here in the rust zone.
An xB?
Other than the inferior engine and chassis along with the lame attempt at cool look, probably an okay car.
Don't think I'd have one.

This xB has Hotchkis Swaybars front and rear, new Michelin Defender tires on stock rims with upgraded struts and shocks. It corners flat and is a blast to drive around tight onramps/offramps. The 1.5L engine works well with the short gearing and manual gearbox. So far I have no complaints.

Compared to my Civic wagon or past air-cooled VW buses it's fast. I don't need a Corvette to enjoy driving around. I can have fun in the xB shooting ramps without going to jail. My last fast car was a Catheram 7 with a Buick F-85 aluminum 4L V8 that was not only seriously fast but handled well. That car could get you locked up without half trying, 400hp with 455 foot-pounds of torque in a chassis that weighed 1,400 pounds with me and gas is a real ticket to ride.

My wife likes driving it and calls it the "xBox". I think this name is a better fit.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I once saw a 1g xB with a porsche "Boxster" emblem on the hatch.

I've seen them with the Xbox logo on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back