Dino every 5k or syn every 7.5k? (consumer math!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question for discussion... curious to hear different perspectives.

If you do the math based on Walmart oil prices, a dino oil change and decent filter comes to $18-20.
A syn oil change and filter comes to $26-30. Rebates and sales do exist, but I've assumed off the shelf prices.

Example:
MS5k for $14.44, and a filter (ACDelco for my application) for $4.29= $18.73. If you run this combination for 5,000 miles, it comes out to .37 cents per mile.

PP for $22.97 and a filter for $4.29 = $27.26. This oil must be run for 7,502 miles to break even (at that same cost of .37 cents per mile).

Although they each could likely be extended further, assume no UOA is done. Which would you choose?
(Let's say a mixture of city and highway driving).

Synthetic all the way. Better add pack over those 7.5k miles. Though because of fuel dilution in my application and being a certified BITOG hoarder, I can dump syn at 5k and still be ahead. Filters I'll run for 10k if its a fram ultra, M1, RP etc...

For the cars in your sig, the Sienna can probably do 10k on any synthetic, even store brand
smile.gif

Your other two cars are pre-dexos GM cars, so they can handle whatever OCI is suggested by the OLM, and they can do it on dino
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If you can't find quality Full Synthetic for under 20.25 you're not shopping.

Not arguing there are deals to be had, but I'm not averse paying $26 for Castrol Edge HM 5w20. Did very well in my Matrix.

OTOH, I am refraining from buying too much QSUD from Advance... $9 for 5qt of a full syn is hard to pass up!

I'm thinking through the same thing for my '15 Cherokee. 5k on dino or follow the OLM with synthetic (OLM is programmed for dino, but I don't want to go 7-8k on dino). Using a Mopar filter either way. I'd save about 6 cents a mile if I do 8k on synthetic assuming I can get 6 quarts for $30 or less.

the costs of the materials is inconsequential to the labor costs.

the only way it works out and is justifiable is if you recategoize oil changes as recreational and you would pay to change oil for fun.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Synthetic all the way. Better add pack over those 7.5k miles. Though because of fuel dilution in my application and being a certified BITOG hoarder, I can dump syn at 5k and still be ahead. Filters I'll run for 10k if its a fram ultra, M1, RP etc...

Congratulations.

Acceptance is the first step to recovery.

Although I am surprised at keeping filters for two OCI. I would never consoder doing that except on my motorcycles.

I was doing 5Kmi OCIs with conventional oil, but decided to do extended (7.%Kmi) changes with synthetic. The less time I spend under a car the better.

Something is wrong with me. I love changing oil as much as I like having sex. And I really like having sex with my wife.

+1 !!
Originally Posted By: THafeez

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Something is wrong with me. I love changing oil as much as I like having sex. And I really like having sex with my wife.

Ummmm.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back