Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV finally coming to U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/02/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-first-drive-review/?icid=autoblog|trend|2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-first-drive

This vehicle has been out for some time now but for whatever reason Mitsu couldn't get it into US dealers. It's the best selling PHEV in Europe and I believe it has good sales in Australia. The fact that the driver can set it to automatic and forget it or decide themselves whether to run it in battery, engine or both is appealing for those of us that like some control.

If anything, the looks may be a put off but that aside, it is a great and proven vehicle.

Outlander isn't my fave shape...but it's WAY better than they used to look.

Mitsubishi are quite unsung in the press, however quite popular in Oz, as you point out.

Mitsubishi...rhymes with "[censored]" in Oz Rhyming slang...but my wife drives a Captiva...rhymes with...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always a bit puzzled when people talk about vehicles looking good or ugly these days, I find nearly everything made in atleast the last 10 years downright ugly. They have run out of good looks, and just try for different, now they are running out of that too.

Looks like the CEO is happy with how Mitsubishi are doing in New Zealand...3rd best selling brand at the moment.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/9756920...land-has-helped

I really like it! Nice subtle lines,smooth shape,no weird jagged Optimus Prime edges. Looks really classy. Now Mitsubishi,please bring back a killer sports car!!

"Outlander isn't my fave shape...but it's WAY better than they used to look."

I totally agree. That anteater look was one of the ugliest fronts ever on a vehicle. The current design has been out for three years I think. It's polarizing. All that black plastic up front is not only ugly but I'll bet it's a great bug catcher. They need to break that up with some trim or facade. The Outlander for the most part has been the same vehicle for years. They just switch fronts on it. I have considered it in my crossover shopping but since the closest dealer was 20 miles away and just stopped selling Mitsu, I just moved on. I won't drive 35 miles for any service. That is the big issue in the states. The dealers are dropping out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I really like it! Nice subtle lines,smooth shape,no weird jagged Optimus Prime edges. Looks really classy. Now Mitsubishi,please bring back a killer sports car!!

It is a conservative look not unlike the VW Tiguan. For practicality, it's a great vehicle. With the front facade as it is, it won't win any beauty contests. Yep, they should bring in a sports car or something on that order.

Last edited:
Nice to see it finally made its way across the Atlantic, or maybe the Pacific?
laugh.gif
Solid CUV, either way.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I'm always a bit puzzled when people talk about vehicles looking good or ugly these days, I find nearly everything made in atleast the last 10 years downright ugly. They have run out of good looks, and just try for different, now they are running out of that too.

Looks like the CEO is happy with how Mitsubishi are doing in New Zealand...3rd best selling brand at the moment.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/9756920...land-has-helped

I forget the last time I bought a car based on looks. Its been about safety and price for me.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/02/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-first-drive-review/?icid=autoblog|trend|2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-first-drive

This vehicle has been out for some time now but for whatever reason Mitsu couldn't get it into US dealers. It's the best selling PHEV in Europe and I believe it has good sales in Australia. The fact that the driver can set it to automatic and forget it or decide themselves whether to run it in battery, engine or both is appealing for those of us that like some control.

If anything, the looks may be a put off but that aside, it is a great and proven vehicle.

I bet that selection capability will be removed in the USA. Like the way the BMW i3 was ruined from its original excellent concept, I fear this will be taken away as well.

That would really be a shame. Regulations deny US drivers of some really neat ideas like Mazda's adaptive high beam headlights. The headlights in that system consist of several leds that all light up in high beam mode. When a car is approaching the system turns of select leds instead of dimming the whole thing. So you get high beam brightness forward but the oncoming driver is not blinded. It works for coming up behind cars as well.

The US is stuck with the current system.

It's an interesting vehicle. I was just at my local dealer looking at used Outlanders and to be honest it seems like a bit of second rate operation, so I'm wondering if they can attract good enough techs to work on something so complex as a PHEV?
I wonder why they waited so long to bring it over, but its probably far better to make sure its idiot proof before releasing it here.

The interiors of Mitsubishi cars are about a decade behind. There is a lot of room for improving design. Now that they have the backing of Nissan, they should be getting better.

As for the delay of the PHEV in the US, I think it's a federal govt thing. They have been selling quite well for years in other regions.

Have they fixed their oil burning issue yet? Lots of Chrysler products with Mitsu engines smoked, it was almost a trademark.

That vehicle is a bit bigger than I really need, but I'd sure look at it if I were in the market given that the equivalent mileage should be great.

It's a mini power plant on wheels. Excellent for camping/tailgating, as the article states. I looked up the reviews in Europe and they were quite impressive.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Have they fixed their oil burning issue yet? Lots of Chrysler products with Mitsu engines smoked, it was almost a trademark.

I wouldn't know. I put a bit over 300k on two Mitsubishi vehicles with no oil burning at all. There was some seepage from the freeze plugs which was common on the 6G engines but also it was a easy fix.

My two Mitsubishis never,used,burned,or leaked oil,ever. I kept them both to around 200K. Maybe the burning issue is from extended oci's with cheap dino juice?

Speaking of cars that smoke,I saw two today. A brand new Corvette and brand new Aston Martin. The Corvette kept making a doofus out of himself trying to go fast down a feeder road with bluish gray smoke billowing out the exhaust. The Aston floored it up an onramp with the same color smoke billowing out of it's exhaust too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back