Two of my favorite things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danno
Do diesel emissions standards apply to military vehicles?

I would hope NOT.

GM [Detroit diesel] had them decades ago. I put many thousands of miles on the old Detroit diesel engines early in my truck driving career. I was especially fond of the old 8V71 engines. At around 75 mph, they were spinning at around 3,000 RPM's and were called 'screamin Jimmies'. The V8 and V12 Detroit's were the best sounding diesels ever IMO. You could always tell where a Detroit had been idling by the puddle of oil they left behind.

During WWII there were several opposed piston engine development programs that were showing good results but were abandoned at war's end. Apparently, wartime development speeds up the adoption of technology like nothing else and has never been matched by politicians picking and choosing.

Equal protection under the law says they should!

In my early Navy days I sat next to 2 Fairbanks - Morse 38ND81/8 opposed piston engines on a Fleet Boat (Submarine) for a year. Then went to the quiet ones, (Nukes).

Originally Posted By: gman2304
GM [Detroit diesel] had them decades ago. I put many thousands of miles on the old Detroit diesel engines early in my truck driving career. I was especially fond of the old 8V71 engines. At around 75 mph, they were spinning at around 3,000 RPM's and were called 'screamin Jimmies'. The V8 and V12 Detroit's were the best sounding diesels ever IMO. You could always tell where a Detroit had been idling by the puddle of oil they left behind.
we called them green leakers.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

+1 emission standards should benefit the health of the users of a vehicle the most... Also I imagine there might be some operational benefit to not announcing your presence for miles around with either visible smoke or smell of a high emissions motor.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Tank engine..? the M1A1 is turbine powered.

The story mentions the Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle, which is often called a tank in the press but most definitely is not.

Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

coffee2.gif

I’ve been singing that in my head since reading this thread this morning!
crazy.gif

Last edited:

As I said above, I would hope not.

After all, those military vehicles are operated in overseas theaters where ULSD is not often available.
The burning of #2 Diesel would quickly destroy emissions equipment.

I would hope most here would understand there is no advantage of handicapping our military in a battle.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

As I said above, I would hope not.

After all, those military vehicles are operated in overseas theaters where ULSD is not often available.
The burning of #2 Diesel would quickly destroy emissions equipment.

I would hope most here would understand there is no advantage of handicapping our military in a battle.
Ya, I wouldn't want to have to stop to do a manual regen in the middle of a firefight lol

You want a big black stack of smoke marking your location as you drive across the desert? lol j/k

'cause it would be quite an engineering project trying to get this engine smog legal and to stay that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back