Dean tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many really good tires for a good price out there in the marketplace that using a private/unknown label tire is really a HUGE gamble. Cooper is a very large tire company that makes a ton of private label tires. However, Cooper themselves have come a long way with several models of tires.

http://coopertire.com/Our-Brands.aspx

Do you have any other information about tires or your vehicle such as:

What vehicle are these for
What size are you looking for

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
There are so many really good tires for a good price out there in the marketplace that using a private/unknown label tire is really a HUGE gamble.

Huge gamble? I think this is over stated a bit. I think the odds are very good that if you buy a private label made by Cooper, you're getting an adequate, but mediocre tire.

Huge gamble is only an overstatement IF you place small value on the lives of your loved ones and friends who are occupants of said vehicles.

When given a choice between a recognized and proven namebrand tire vs a BillyBob tire I know where my money is going.

I'll take the name brand tires that has scored highly by several different testing facilities and I'll purchase them from our favorite online websites(TR, DT, TD, TB) with a local install.

A lot of times if you can wait for a sale you can get quality name brand tires for only slightly more than the cheap no names.

2 years ago I got Michelin Defenders (205/55R16) for $80/piece after rebates. Originally $120/piece.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Anyone run Dean tires? Dean is owned and made by Cooper tire.

Apparently Cooper markets different brands of its private label tires in different regions of the USA. I can get Mastercraft here in NC, but I can't buy Dean, Starfire or any of their other private labels. If the price is right for your needs, go for it. COO is important to me. If the Cooper made tire is made in the USA, that's good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Huge gamble is only an overstatement IF you place small value on the lives of your loved ones and friends who are occupants of said vehicles.

When given a choice between a recognized and proven namebrand tire vs a BillyBob tire I know where my money is going.

Hogwash-there are plenty of second tire tires that are quite good for the money.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Hogwash-there are plenty of second tire tires that are quite good for the money.

On edit "second tier tires".

Come up to Canada and get a set of Motomaster Tires at Canadian Tire Store. These are made by reputable OEM brands - just with Motomaster branding.

Back in the 1970's to late 80's if you were a cash poor, low tread Canadian driver, you typically considered a set of Canadian Tire Whippets. Round, black, held air but not much more. The Whippet was about 5% better than a retread. They don't sell them any more.

Hogwash-there are plenty of second tier tires that are quite good for the money.

Yeah, but Dean isn't a second tier tire brand unless you literally divide tires into two tiers. At best they would be a rebranded CS-3 and at worst they are a noname china bomb. So little upside and lots of downside, IMO.

I mean, how much are you saving over buying a CS-3 and calling it a day? And even then, what are you even saving over buying a decent tire on a holiday special? My Highlander tires were 220 for four after two rebates from DTD holiday sale. That's a "second tier tire that's quite good for the money".

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Hogwash-there are plenty of second tier tires that are quite good for the money.

Yeah, but Dean isn't a second tier tire brand unless you literally divide tires into two tiers. At best they would be a rebranded CS-3 and at worst they are a noname china bomb. So little upside and lots of downside, IMO.

I mean, how much are you saving over buying a CS-3 and calling it a day? And even then, what are you even saving over buying a decent tire on a holiday special? My Highlander tires were 220 for four after two rebates from DTD holiday sale. That's a "second tier tire that's quite good for the money".

This thread is a rehash of many others. Double Coin-Milestar all Chinese and running on big rigs. You do save money buying so called "no-name tires. To many on here $20.00/bucks a tire is alot of money to them.

They have to pass the DOT tests. Also-at this point Cooper Tire still claims them as one of their brands-
http://coopertire.com/Our-Brands.aspx

Last edited:

Please try and avoid the foul language
grin.gif

If you want to run Dean tires then I would never tell you what to do BUT you might want to hurry because Cooper quit producing them in 2011:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20110602/NEWS/306029998/cooper-phasing-out-dean-brand

Edit:
Looks like you can get them at Les Schwab:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4354898/who_makes_Dean_tires?

Last edited:
Discount tire specials, especially around the holidays, allow one to purchase premium tires at no-name prices.

I've never heard of Dean tires.

Please try and avoid the foul language
grin.gif

If you want to run Dean tires then I would never tell you what to do BUT you might want to hurry because Cooper quit producing them in 2011:

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20110602/NEWS/306029998/cooper-phasing-out-dean-brand

Edit:
Looks like you can get them at Les Schwab:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4354898/who_makes_Dean_tires?

Seems to be conflicting information on this. Cooper hasn't updated their website since 2011? On their website-they still claim it as one of their brands.

Quote-Cooper Tire & Rubber Company offers a large portfolio of brands that offer great products designed to meet the needs of today's drivers—at an attractive and affordable price and deliver outstanding performance. In addition to the Cooper® brand, the Cooper global family of companies also designs and manufactures tires under these brands: Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, **** Cepek, and Mentor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Anyone run Dean tires? Dean is owned and made by Cooper tire.

Apparently Cooper markets different brands of its private label tires in different regions of the USA. I can get Mastercraft here in NC, but I can't buy Dean, Starfire or any of their other private labels. If the price is right for your needs, go for it. COO is important to me. If the Cooper made tire is made in the USA, that's good enough for me.

My FIL's mechanic sells Dean tires. He doesn't stock them, but his wholesaler can get them to him on a hub run. Tires are not a major part of his work but he has customers that just won't go anywhere else ever, even if it makes sense.
laugh.gif

I suspect they're a different line name so customers won't price shop between the two and/or put a hole-in-the-wall mechanic up against a chain discount tire store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back