Oil Affects Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the oil in my 2011 Durango with 5.7. Out was 6 qts of PUP 5w-20 and 1 qt of PPHM 5w-20. In was 5 qts QSUD 0w-20 and 2 qts PPHM 5w-20. My fuel efficiency went down almost 1.5 mpgs and my oil and coolant temps are higher than I have ever seen despite the fact its been in the 50s and 60s instead of the 100s outside temp. with the PUP my coolant would run right around 200 to 205 and oil would be 190 to 205. the the latest oil change my coolan temps are now 215 - 225 and my oil temps are 215-230. I have never had a vehicle with all the sensors this thing has to monitor the differences oil makes before. I did not expect to see that much of a difference though. Oil filter was the same Purolator Boss out Purolator Boss in. I will be changing the oil again around Late November to Mid December to VSPML 5w-20 and a Fram Tough Guard Filter as I registered for the Valvoline Engine Warranty program. Just though I would share my observations. I know in the past I have gotten better efficiency with PUP but I was never able to see all the temps and pressures that my Durango has for my viewing pleasure.

You don't have too much oil in there do you? VVT phaser get jammed after an OCI and cause engine efficiency and torque issues. If it sound OK and has good torque - I would let the DP changeover to settle down. Give it 1000 miles. IN a while, A few hard runs up the rev range may get things in order. QSUD is a decent oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You don't have too much oil in there do you? VVT phaser get jammed after an OCI and cause engine efficiency and torque issues. If it sound OK and has good torque - I would let the DP changeover to settle down. Give it 1000 miles. IN a while, A few hard runs up the rev range may get things in order. QSUD is a decent oil.

That's a good point. I thought it felt different when accelerating. I will check when i get off work. Thanks for the input.

Hi mileage oils tend to be thicker than spec. I'm willing to be the two quarts on the second fill did it.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Hi mileage oils tend to be thicker than spec. I'm willing to be the two quarts on the second fill did it.

No PPHM 5w20 cSt @ 100*C is 8.0 QSUD 0w20 is 8.3.

PUP 5w20 cSt @ 100*c is 8.8. My oil pressure is lower. I checked. The dipstick on level ground and it was perfect between add and fill lines.

I'll give it 1k miles to see if that makes a difference. I chose QSUD 0w20 because it's thicker at operating temp then their 5w20. This whole thing was not what I expected. I knew PUP was good but when I bought it from the Dealer it had some sort of Mobil oil in it and the gas Milage has been as good since. I have not liked any Mobil product I tried but apparently my Hemi liked it. I had to dump that fill at 400 mikes because they didn't put the gasket back on when they changed the oil and it was dumping it out. We will see what the Valvoline does going into next year. I deffinilty wasn't expecting this. I use QSUD in all of my outdoor power equipment and have been so happy with it wanted to try it in my hemi

Originally Posted By: FZ1
PPHM is 8.5 not 8.0 vis. Hope this helps.

Where did you get that number From? The 0w20 PPHM is 8.5 but 5w20 is 8.0

Off the Pennzoil site. I think Pennzoil has the numbers reversed on the 0w and the 5w specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back