Are doctors just overpaid mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo they aren't any different than somebody you hire to repair something. Not saying a mechanic is a bad thing since many are on this site, but I find they frequently do the same things that many mechanics do. IE Send you on a wild goose chase doing a bunch of tests, same as a mechanic throwing parts at a car until it fixes it. Or making a wrong diagnosis.

35.gif

Perhaps. But when an auto mechanic makes a really bad mistake, you may end up having to get a new tranny. No big deal, right?

I've never heard of a mechanic having to carry a malpractice policy.

How many years of schooling does a mechanic need before turning a wrench? Internship? What's an internship?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Imo they aren't any different than somebody you hire to repair something. Not saying a mechanic is a bad thing since many are on this site, but I find they frequently do the same things that many mechanics do. IE Send you on a wild goose chase doing a bunch of tests, same as a mechanic throwing parts at a car until it fixes it. Or making a wrong diagnosis.

That's not a Mechanic. That's a parts changer.

There are good and bad Doctors too. Whether Mechanic or Doctor, do your due diligence.

Last edited:
I won't get too into this discussion... But I would like to point out the ACCEPTABLE rate of failure for a doctor (yes, the world is NOT perfect) along with the requisite education and training. One dedicates years to DECADES of their life to education.

I wish [censored] Doc's didn't exist but they do. Just like any other profession. Does that detract for the value (and necessity) of quality physicians (and other providers)?

On a side note, and an inflammatory one at that, I am somewhere between mildly annoyed and...moderately annoyed... by people who come in and think they know more than those who have dedicated years of their life to the study and practice of medicine. Both the physicians/providers as well as the allied staff such as nurses.

Doc makes a mistake and the world might have a new tranny...

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Perhaps. But when an auto mechanic makes a really bad mistake, you may end up having to get a new tranny. No big deal, right?

I've never heard of a mechanic having to carry a malpractice policy.

How many years of schooling does a mechanic need before turning a wrench? Internship? What's an internship?

IMO real doctors, meaning MD's, are in a class of their own.
Nothing really compares to good a Neurosurgeon or Cardio-vascular surgeon.

Don't get me started about the huge group of people whose feelings got hurt and so they created a "doctor" or PH D for every occupation under the sun...

Gimme a break

Clearly as you are finding out not even close. Human body and the intricate reactions are intense to understand. Drs have to correlate so many more factors.

A car engine is dead simple in comparison.

Look at the educational costs starting after high school. Look at the number of years ( and the number of hours within those years as an intern/resident/fellowship )to train to be an attending. Then how long it will take you to build a practice, pay off loans and what age you are when you start earning an income over paying your loans. Add to that the cost of malpractice insurance, the risk of hep-b/c , hiv exposure for invasive practicing physicians. Don't forget continuing education.

Physicians a few decades ago probable did rake it in. But i don't think as much so today.

BHopkins said:

Ever get a bad brake job and hauling hazardous cargo?

A few years back I was having chest pains. I was telling my friend who happens to be a mechanic about it, and do you know what he told me? He said and I quote "Go see a Doctor". And a side note, my Doctor said he doesn't know anything about transmission problems.,,,

Originally Posted By: buck91
On a side note, and an inflammatory one at that, I am somewhere between mildly annoyed and...moderately annoyed... by people who come in and think they know more than those who have dedicated years of their life to the study and practice of medicine. Both the physicians/providers as well as the allied staff such as nurses.

In some cases it's warranted. At Med School, doctors might get a week on nutrition and an optimum diet/life style. They spend more time identifying symptoms of disease than methods to prevent it in the first place. In these areas, your well-read amateurs can easily exceed the expertise of your typical GP/PCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back