pressure washer hard to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a pressure washer with a Honda gx390 and compared to my Honda generator with a Honda gx390, this thing is a beast when it comes to pulling the starter rope. I always make sure I prime the pump before starting and I've heard it helps if you hold the trigger down on the wand when starting? Not sure what that does though I've never tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same engine on mine. Trigger and hold the wand when you fire it up, it will make your life a lot easier. Make sure you have the water running and the wand pointed in a safe direction.

I agree, holding the trigger in helps while starting it. My friend has a Craftsman pressure washer with the Honda gx 390 engine. It became nearly impossible to start or even turn over due to massive resistance on the starter cord. Turned out it needed a valve adjustment after a few hours use when new. Starts up easily now.

I guess you're compressing the water in the pump when the trigger isn't held down. And we all know water doesn't compress well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
The pump should be equipped with an unloading valve to stop this from happening.

Not all of them have one. Mine is an older unit which doesn't have one, which is why I trigger it. It is also not a good idea to run the machine for more than a minute or two w/o triggering the wand.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The pump should be equipped with an unloading valve to stop this from happening.

Not all of them have one. Mine is an older unit which doesn't have one, which is why I trigger it. It is also not a good idea to run the machine for more than a minute or two w/o triggering the wand.

If it has a thermal bypass I don't see why it would matter. I stopped mine for no more than a minute or two to adjust the hose and move the pressure washer closer, and noticed it was dumping water out of that relief valve and also dropped the psi from 4200 to 3000psi. (I have a gauge on the wand).

You HAVE to depress the handle while pulling it. Otherwise you will put too much pressure on the starting mechanism and likely break the pull cord much sooner than necessary.

Yep @ tie mine in the saddle with those heavy duty twist ties sold at TSC (Tractor Supply)

My $279 HF special requires you to hold the trigger when pulling the starting cord. A more expensive model would have the unloading valve most likely.

I'm glad I clicked on this thread before buying a pressure washer. I had no idea.

I wonder if the owner's manual tells you to hold the trigger.

Interesting observations. Must be something to do with the pump design.

My cheap little champion pressure washer is always super easy to pull over and start. I have never had to pull the trigger while starting it.

I use a velcro strap to depress the trigger. Be careful to not have the machine on full throttle when starting. Otherwise you'll be getting a little wet chasing the wand.

When depressing trigger at start up use soap nozzle or none at all it will pull over like a breeze.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If it has a thermal bypass I don't see why it would matter. I stopped mine for no more than a minute or two to adjust the hose and move the pressure washer closer, and noticed it was dumping water out of that relief valve and also dropped the psi from 4200 to 3000psi. (I have a gauge on the wand).

I have one unit that dumps water through a relief valve, the other doesn't have that set up. I start both with water running and the wand triggered. It helps big time. If I have to run the machine for more than two minutes or so without putting water through it I turn it off. It is a habit that carries over from the machine that doesn't have a relief valve. Either way, trigger the wand when you fire it up.

Make sure when you put it away for the winter, you do your normal engine prep routine. Then shut off the fuel flow and with the hoses off pull the starter cord and pump the water out of the pump. I have a 12" piece of garden hose with the connection attached which I screw into the water inlet and connect a funnel to the end of it. I pour RV anti-freeze into it and pull the starter cord until the anti-freeze squirts out. When that happens I fold the hose onto itself and clamp it so nothing leaks out. The last thing you need is water to freeze in the pump and wreck it. This applies to anyone who lives where freezing temps are a concern. HTH

My Honda 390 powered Northern Tool pressure washer is harder to start than my generator. It has an unloading valve, but even so, the pump does put a load on the engine during cranking. I can't imagine that thing would start at all without the unloading valve.

Sometimes, the first pull is amazingly hard. Good thing I'm super strong, hahahaha, oh wait, that's somebody else....

The unloader isn't to help with starting (like an air compressor), it's to unload the pump once it gets to full pressure to help keep the pump from overheating. Setting the unloader to min pressure will help starting some.

I just squeeze the trigger for a second, right before starting. I don't do both at the same time. It's much harder to start (if at all) if I forget to do that first. Simpson 3100 psi w/ GC 190 Honda. Starts first pull, unless it's been sitting more than 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back