Exhaust from Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I always make a point to put Top Tier gasoline in my VW Passat since its extra detergents are supposed to prevent (or maybe just slow) combustion chamber carbon deposits and also keep the entire fuel system clean(er).

For the same reasons, I also always put Top Tier gasoline in my lawn equimpent (push mower, trimmer, leaf blower). Since small engines tend to have sensitive fuel systems, I figured that Top Tier detergent gasoline may help prolong the lives of their carburetors. Keeping carbon buildup at bay is also always a good thing.

A weird thought occurred to me though: what becomes all the extra detergents once they burn up (or maybe only just partially burn up in a small engine)? Am I breathing in "extra nasty" exhaust from my yard equipment because I am burning Top Tier gasoline?

What exactly are the extra detergents anyways, and are they even effective at treating carbon buildup in a small engine?

Please educate me!

Thanks all!

TurboDieselPoint

My guess is that the quantity of detergent is so minute, even with Top Tier, that products of its combustion are insignificant, compared to other pollutants in the exhaust.

I've read on BITOG that people have observed semi drivers adding a quart of detergents to their delivery. Different stations use different detergents. According to google a semi is approx 9,000 gallons.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Costco adds it when they have a fuel delivery. There is a separate tank with a sign on it. Would be interesting to know how much they add per tanker load to make it Kirkland signature gas.

The Top Tier will usually have PolyetherAmine (PEA) instead of PolyButylAmine (PBA). Which PEA cleans and doesn't leave a residue. PBA leaves its own residue after cleaning.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
The Top Tier will usually have PolyetherAmine (PEA) instead of PolyButylAmine (PBA). Which PEA cleans and doesn't leave a residue. PBA leaves its own residue after cleaning.

There's no requirement for formulation. The only requirement is for efficacy. And then there's the possibility that filling with half one and half another doesn't result in the same efficacy.

Here's a pretty interesting piece. It's from AAA, but republished by Sinclair Oil. It sounds like the impact on exhaust emissions as a result of poor engine cleanliness is far more than of the detergent additive. I suspect that it burns pretty clean once there's an explosion.

https://www.sinclairoil.com/sites/default/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report-FINAL-1.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back