Dexos1 Gen2 on the shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks

like new formulation oils are showing up on the WM shelves. Stopped by local WM today and most of the grades are there with new cert on the label.

Nice to see everyone is stepping up. I had only seen Valvoline and then Quaker State this week. Thanks for the sharing.

Good question. I guess only VOA/UOA will provide a definitive answer

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I thought the Dexos2 logo was blue, like so:

I think that one is the Dexos2 for diesel, not Dexos1 gen 2.

@ Dumc87...

It is, this thread is about dexos1 Gen2 (or second generation of dexos1 oils). I know all this gets confusing.
wink.gif

Dexos1 = gasoline
Dexos2 = diesel

This is merely the "gen 2", or second revision, for the dexos1 (gasoline) spec.

They are really rolling in at Walmart. SuperTech, Quaker full-syn, Valvoline, Pennz Plat, M1 AFE, Royal Purple, M1 AP, regular M1, etc. have all been seen with the phrase "Gen 2" on the front label, or they have a Gen2 license number on the back at least. No Castrol Edge yet, should be next to make an appearance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
My head hurts now.... LOL
Add different coolants and ATF headaches become Migraines.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
They are really rolling in at Walmart. SuperTech, Quaker full-syn, Valvoline, Pennz Plat, M1 AFE, Royal Purple, M1 AP, regular M1, etc. have all been seen with the phrase "Gen 2" on the front label, or they have a Gen2 license number on the back at least. No Castrol Edge yet, should be next to make an appearance.

Well not quite the Castrol edge has been in a few weeks now and available shipping to your home for 20.14 a Jug Dexos1 Gen 2.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/34039135

I know this because I have 2 Jugs of it. That I've had for about three weeks now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well not quite the Castrol edge has been in a few weeks now and available shipping to your home for 20.14 a Jug Dexos1 Gen 2.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/34039135 I know this because I have 2 Jugs of it. That I've had for about three weeks now.
Problem I have with ordering online is that they neve update the product info & pictures, so you never know if they are mailing you Gen1 or Gen2 oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/34039135 I know this because I have 2 Jugs of it. That I've had for about three weeks now.
Problem I have with ordering online is that they neve update the product info & pictures, so you never know if they are mailing you Gen1 or Gen2 oil.

Well what I got three weeks ago was the Dexos1 Gen2. YMMV.

But none of my cars require Dexos oil so that isn't an issue with me any who.

Last edited:
Most all full synthetic oil was Dex1 approved or passed
GM's tests.
The main NEW qualification of for low speed detonation IIRC.
Apparently that is from calcium additives that some oils didn't
have to begin with.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Most all full synthetic oil was Dex1 approved or passed
GM's tests.
The main NEW qualification of for low speed detonation IIRC.
Apparently that is from calcium additives that some oils didn't
have to begin with.
Its true there was a lot of different kinds of dexos1 Gen1 oil. Now the dexos1 Gen2 oil is getting to be common.
The main NEW qualification performance tests are indeed the LSPI as you point out, yet important too are new tests for GMOD oxidation and timing chain wear in the new dexos1 Gen2 oils.
Calcium detergents were in most all oils, like 90% of motor oils on the market for the last 30 years or more. Overbased Ca sulfonates to be exact. Now they can't use as much of that as they used to, and they add Mg-based detergents to compensate. Heavy Ca was the norm for a long time. Not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back