German Castrol 0W-30 gone from shelves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is after years of being vaunted as the ultimate oil in a 30 weight, GC 0w30 discontinued for good? The place for it on the rack is gone at my local Autozone, and all Advance Autos show it as out of stock now. I guess the 0W40 has finally replaced it.

Are we going to hold a memorial service?

Last edited:
I haven't seen any on the shelves in a long time. Great product.

Perhaps Castrol ending their contract with BMW in 2015 had something to do with them giving up on their LL-01 certified 30w oil?

From what I recall, BMW brand 5w30 and GC 0w30 were pretty much one in the same.

The last Castrol Edge 0W30 I remember was the replacement orange label Belgian stuff from about three years ago.

I think Pep Boys still carries it. I was able to get it earlier this year during Pep Boys' annual Founders Day sale, where it was like $20 after rebate. I bought two oil change deals' worth in part because of the possibility of it being discontinued, and the rebate limit was 2.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Auto Zone was clearing it out in December 2015 at $2/qt (API SL).

I was able to buy some on closeout December 2016. AZ closing it out 2 years in a row isn't a good sign. I don't think AAP carries it anymore either..

It was only a matter of time anyways. Castrol has 0w40 and 5w40 still.

I never tried the BITOG darling, elven touched Green CG from over as decade ago. Tried the Gold and my AerioSX didn't like it - though it wasn't worn in yet. It didn't like RP with synerlec either.

Must have been the filter.

or the fact that it was a Suzuki CAR engine (as opposed to the excellent GSX-R motors)

Last edited:
Really wonder the reason behind its popularity in US...In China because of its price and compatibility on bumper-to-bumper Volkswagen.

Tried one interval of 0W30 on my BMW N20 engine, its longevity sucks...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Don't fret about it.

That is a low SAPS oil only for use in diesels in North America.

I don't know why people lament over the loss of the 0W30, just switch to the 0W40, nearly the same oil.

Last edited:
That's technically true, but finding a gasoline vehicle in North America that calls for a 5w-30 in SN only (or SM only) is rather difficult. Most call for SN/GF-5. Infiniti/Nissan have generally called for SM or better with GF-4 as an option (i.e. my G37's manual). So, this C3 type product and others would work; Castrol even has their C3 5w-30 as part of their lube recommendations for my G37. Most OEMs aren't that liberal, though, and will call for the resource conserving part, too.

Advance Auto Parts carries it in the Portland area. It was on sale for $5.50 a quart for a while. Now its $8.50 or so. I'll probably switch over to 0W-40 in our Mini Cooper once we run out of 0W-30. 0W-40 did a fantastic job in my X5 (UOA Link).

As I understand it, the 0W-30 was a "thick" 30wt that was close to a 40wt, no real need to keep both around if GC 0W-40 is essentially the same thing. I bought 6 quarts for my next oil change, made in Germany. Never actually ran a "true" PAO/ester synthetic in my vehicle before, ougta be interesting!

Originally Posted By: jongies3
As I understand it, the 0W-30 was a "thick" 30wt that was close to a 40wt, no real need to keep both around if GC 0W-40 is essentially the same thing. I bought 6 quarts for my next oil change, made in Germany. Never actually ran a "true" PAO/ester synthetic in my vehicle before, ougta be interesting!

Castrol 0W40 is not anymore PAO based. It is as of recently Group III based oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Castrol 0W40 is not anymore PAO based. It is as of recently Group III based oil.

Who said that? Pretty sure it wouldn't be called a full synthetic by Germany standards if that were the case. Group 3 doesn't fly as full synthetic in Europe like it does here.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Who said that? Pretty sure it wouldn't be called a full synthetic by Germany standards if that were the case. Group 3 doesn't fly as full synthetic in Europe like it does here.

I know:
Castrol HC oils in Germany
Castrol "true" Synthetic oils in Germany

As for rest of Europe, it flies like here. Full synthetic laws apply only to Germany, not rest of the Europe.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't this indicate that Castrol Edge 0w-40 has significant quantities of PAO?https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/7C6AFC0A35558EFC80258178003A050C/$File/11260897.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back