painting around door window inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi: I have 2 typical prehung doors, Mastercraft brand, and they both have window inserts. They have screws in a plastic frame around the glass. It looks like unscrewing the plastic frame and painting it seperately would be the best thing, but store says if I unscrew the frame glass might fall out and I will have to recaulk the glass anyway. Correct? Suggestions?

I'd take the screws out, holding the glass and see what happens. Can you see caulk behind frame? If you can't get it off and it's a multi-pane looking insert there's a liquid mask product that could make the job easier than masking.

No need to remove it, masking tape and newspaper over the glass, OR if you have a lot of painting experience, it can be faster to just hold a thin piece of cardboard (or sheet metal tool made for this) up against the edge, moving it along as you paint.

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Just paint it (brush), then use razor-blade to easily scrape paint off of glass . . . works!

That's exactly what do. I first clean the glass before I paint using 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back