Fram Ultra XG4386 10,000 miles CUT OPEN pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
10,000 miles and about a year on the filter. I think it did it's job, the pleat spacing near the seam was a bit wide. Did not affect functionality. Also the bypass valve was not seated properly, but did function when I pushed it. First time I've seen a Fram with a defective looking, BUT FUNCTIONING bypass.

Filter was full of oil.

After I drained some out.

Eek! It still worked.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Did ya get a picture of every pleat?????
JK
sort of ...

Go big or go home right?

The bypass valve was probably like that from the factory. Can't see how the 2 legs could dislodge and move if they were positioned correctly to start with. Looks good otherwise - thanks for the C&P.

Agreed. From what I saw, 2 of the plastic tabs were too short so they couldn't grip the spring like the other two.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Agreed. From what I saw, 2 of the plastic tabs were too short so they couldn't grip the spring like the other two.

The spring just needs to be compressed a little more for those 2 tangs to capture the very end of the spring like the other 2 tangs that are correct.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The bypass valve was probably like that from the factory. Can't see how the 2 legs could dislodge and move if they were positioned correctly to start with. Looks good otherwise - thanks for the C&P.

First bad ultra that i've seen on here, hope your's is a very rare one... Other wise looks good for a 10,000 mile run...Thank's for the pics...

Fram uses the same bypass valve on all their filter models. First time this has been seen here, so I'd say a very rare occurance.

How do we know that the bypass valve was functioning? Not denying this, I'm just asking.

Pleat spacing is normal as per every Ultra I have ever seen so nothing peculiar there. Where the tabs on the bypass broken or was the spring simply not compressed enough for them to have gone over the spring and engaged it?

Originally Posted By: paulri
How do we know that the bypass valve was functioning? Not denying this, I'm just asking.

Wondering myself does this make it a higher or lower psi bypass or is it the same? I've never tested these things out so how they exactly works is beyond me...Can anyone on here explain it? (curious minds want to know)...
28.gif

I would think that the bypass would open a little bit easier (less force needed) so it would lower the psi needed to open it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Pleat spacing is normal as per every Ultra I have ever seen so nothing peculiar there. Where the tabs on the bypass broken or was the spring simply not compressed enough for them to have gone over the spring and engaged it?

At least one tab looks like it wasn't molded properly. I tried to engage the spring on the sides that weren't in place and it wouldn't latch on. I still have the filter so I'll update if I can find the time.
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: paulri

Wondering myself does this make it a higher or lower psi bypass or is it the same? I've never tested these things out so how they exactly works is beyond me...Can anyone on here explain it? (curious minds want to know)...
28.gif

I pushed the plastic bypass, spring compressed and it opened. By "functioning" I meant that the plastic bypass moved like it should. It was not stuck and the spring compressed. PSI-wise I have no clue, just that it worked. Maybe I'll contact motorking and ask him if he would like to take a look at it.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
PSI-wise I have no clue, just that it worked. Maybe I'll contact motorking and ask him if he would like to take a look at it.

Spring rate is lessened in there are less coils supporting the load.

I'm sure FRAM would be happy to send you a couple filters for catching this quality issue for them.

Impossible, I cut it very carefully using a filter cutter. I know how to cut them open. That's how it came out of the can.

It shows two hooks are strong enough to take the pressure, so four engaged should be very comfortable. Some people worry that the hook parts will break. Looks like not. Assembly error, didn't hurt or change a thing IMO. Champ blue button looks identical and Toyota uses a similar system. They open wide for flow which is good. It looks like the spring just wasn't pushed down enough to engage the other two hooks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back