Amazon testing its own delivery service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense. Around me they actually already have some vans/trucks. 99% of what I get delivered to the house comes from Amazon.

I live in NJ and have received deliveries from a private Amazon delivery service. It's just a plain white van and they deliver on Sundays.

They have start that service here. It needs tuning 4 of the last five package said they had been delivered and 4 of them got delivered else where. The neighbors porch I spotted them after they said they had been delivered and they weren't on my porch.

They've been doing it for quite a while here, white Nissan cargo vans with Amazon logos on the sides.

They also hire private contractors to deliver packages in their own cars, sort of like Uber.

Around here, Amazon switched from UPS to USPS about a year or so ago, and they have USPS deliver Amazon packages on Sundays, as well. When USPS first took over, there were a lot of mis-deliveries - they were placing my packages at nearby neighbors' doors. They have since gotten better about this.

Whoever is doing 'last mile' delivery for Amazon around here should lose their jobs. Packages that are handled by UPS get here in two days to our doorstep which is inside a gated apartment community. Packages handled by Lasership or the mysterious white van service can't seem to find the right street (all named after trees) or the right building number (101-106). Sorry, guys. Delivering my package to 101 Maple when I live on 101 Elm is not 'close enough'. Delivering my package to 102 Elm is not 'close enough'. Leaving it at the bottom of the stairs in the breezeway is not 'close enough'. Heck, just two days ago we found an Amazon box sitting on a rock outside the gate next to the road because they couldn't figure out how to get in here! Unbelievable.

FedEx, UPS and USPS all have their issues, but at least delivering packages is all they do and they have it figured out. Amazon taking it in-house it a terrible idea.

Yes I've noticed that! I ordered a toilet seat and it was delivered by some guy driving an unmarked primer gray van complete with missing hubcaps.

Some of these people are not doing their job if they are just dropping off packages in random areas cause they are too lazy to find correct address.

I do know Amazon is leasing some Boeing 767s to help expand their business.

where I live about 1 in 4 packages FROM AMAZON are delivered by Amazon, half of those are misdelivered. They are people in private cars.

My guess is they are doing this to either pick the most profitable route for themselves (i.e. high density communities, college dorms, apartment complex, small items that doesn't take much space or weight, low cost items that they don't need to worry about thieves), and let other carriers deal with the less profitable ones.

Another possibility is union busting. It is cheaper to contract the "shared economy" than to pay the union and the middleman.

They are building up the Fresh food delivery service, so might as well deliver the non perishable items.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

That's insane. That's a serious commitment.

Amazon - I usually get the white van delivery (Fast Track) on orders for same day delivery and next day deliveries.
I'm also in a zone where some items qualify for 2 hour delivery.
The little doggy barks to lets us know when USPS, UPS and Fedex pulls up. The white van is somewhat quiet and we sometimes don't get the doggy notification when it stops in front of our home. Perhaps training, more rewards when the notification alarms works.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

That's insane. That's a serious commitment.

Watching some of Jeff Bezos interviews, I'm really not surprised he made decision on the 20 leased 767s.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
where I live about 1 in 4 packages FROM AMAZON are delivered by Amazon, half of those are misdelivered. They are people in private cars.

I don't know if I want my package delivered in a private car. I'm seriously reconsidering my Amazon purchases.

Doubt I'll see this kind of service in my backwoods area anytime soon. I'd hate to break-in another delivery guy; FedEx, UPS, and USPS all know where to set stuff out of view at the back of the house. Heck the postman is one of my neighbors...

Over half of my prime shipments come via private car. The poor guys deliver on saturday and sunday as well. Never had an issue with delivery.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Doubt I'll see this kind of service in my backwoods area anytime soon. I'd hate to break-in another delivery guy; FedEx, UPS, and USPS all know where to set stuff out of view at the back of the house. Heck the postman is one of my neighbors...

My address is flipped with my neighbor and once in a while a new guy from any of the delivery will say "no such address" and return my package.

USPS never has this problem, long term employment and tenure do have advantages here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back