Competitive insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been with State Farm since 1984. I have three automobiles and my home insured with them. I receive a discount because of multiple lines/multiple vehicles. Can one get big savings through AARP, Sam's Club, etc... I am thinking that I should shop around. Money saved is money earned.

Thanks!

Definitely shop around. Worst-case scenario, you can feel better about the rate you're getting.

If you get a more competitive quote, you can take it back to your current insurer and see if they'll match or beat it.

Definitely shop around.
Around here, State Farm would be several hundred a year higher for me on Auto/home.
Find a good independent agent or broker and get quotes from multiple companies.
The highest quality companies are not always the ones who advertise the most.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Definitely shop around.
Around here, State Farm would be several hundred a year higher for me on Auto/home.

Yep. + 10000000

Independent agent can get quotes from multiple companies.

Consumer Reports had an article on car insurance, worth a read.

Military people go with USAA I think.

Geico has been cheapest for me.

Sometimes a smaller insurer has better rates.

Definitely shop around.

I shopped around several independents, GEICO, USAA, Farmers and Allstate none of them were even close as a $100. So my insurance stays with State Farm two auto's, my house, and my retirement medical which no one else could even come close to touching. Yep shop and you'll get the News State Farm is likely not going to be touched unless you opt for a huge deductible or lower coverage. In the last 11 years my medical has gone up $80 on their six month premium. I've had a couple stays in the hospital and a couple times in the emergency room State Farm picked it all up except for $40 on one lab fee when they did my prostatectomy.

I'm in the same boat, State Farm constantly increases my car insurance even though nothing has changed and no wrecks, claims...etc. etc. The only thing, I'm nervous about it. Won't other carries look into why you're switching? It just irks me. Yes, I'd like to save some coin, but other than the cost, State Farm has been pretty good. They just replaced my roof and didn't cost me a dime. I also got earthquake insurance...thanks to the fracking going on....as a rider. I've heard that State Farm is the only insurance that offers earthquake insurance as a rider and not having to issue a total different policy. I guess I'm not the well informed consumer on this subject yet.

I shop around through an Independent Agent every couple of years. Auto with AARP and home through UPC. I get a kick out of the USAA ads on TV, as when I got quotes from them they were higher than anyone. It pays to shop around every so often.

I second the advice to use an independent broker who sells insurance from dozens of companies.
Compared to the captive agent who only sell for one Company...

If you've been with them for that long and have everything bundled, you'll be hard pressed to find something lower. Yeah, look around if you like, but I work in this field, and I talk to people every day that think they're paying too much, but in reality they have the best rates for themselves because of bundles, and time spent with that company.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I'm in the same boat, State Farm constantly increases my car insurance even though nothing has changed and no wrecks, claims...etc. etc. The only thing, I'm nervous about it. Won't other carries look into why you're switching? It just irks me. Yes, I'd like to save some coin, but other than the cost, State Farm has been pretty good. They just replaced my roof and didn't cost me a dime. I also got earthquake insurance...thanks to the fracking going on....as a rider. I've heard that State Farm is the only insurance that offers earthquake insurance as a rider and not having to issue a total different policy. I guess I'm not the well informed consumer on this subject yet.

The price of auto insurance in general has increased a good amount in the last few years. Lower fuel prices=more driving, greater chances for accidents. Higher insurance costs, less people can afford it, they drive around without insurance, and that equals more uninsured motorist claims. The recent hurricanes don't help either. We all pay higher premiums because of this.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Definitely shop around.

I shopped around several independents, GEICO, USAA, Farmers and Allstate none of them were even close as a $100. So my insurance stays with State Farm two auto's, my house, and my retirement medical which no one else could even come close to touching. Yep shop and you'll get the News State Farm is likely not going to be touched unless you opt for a huge deductible or lower coverage. In the last 11 years my medical has gone up $80 on their six month premium. I've had a couple stays in the hospital and a couple times in the emergency room State Farm picked it all up except for $40 on one lab fee when they did my prostatectomy.

Depends on your market.
I have been with Erie Insurance since 1994.
Prior to that, I was with State Farm, since I started driving in 1978.
In switching to Erie for auto/home, I saved $500./yr.
The last time that I did a competitive quote with State Farm, I would have taken an almost seven hundred dollar uptick in car insurance alone. Didn't even bother quoting the home.
While I was having a discussion with the agent after the quote, the agent admitted that he carried all his personal policies with Erie.
Shopping rates is always a prudent move. I do so every 2-3 years.

Unfortunately due to my location close to the beach. I can't bundle to be profitable.
State Farm won't unsure homes anymore in Florida and I use Allstate for home, State Farm for cars. Allstate can't beat State Farm with cars even bundled and State Farm can't get me home owners.

AMICA
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud
I shop around through an Independent Agent every couple of years. Auto with AARP and home through UPC. I get a kick out of the USAA ads on TV, as when I got quotes from them they were higher than anyone. It pays to shop around every so often.

I've had USAA for 40 yrs. A number of mid-4 digit auto claims all fully paid out. Even made some money on those cars after driving them for a couple years. The cheap premiums of some other companies could be offset by lousy claims payouts. On top of that, USAA has given me a kick back every year for a long time now. It amounts to 15-35% of my annual auto insurance (quoted). So $1100 going in nets out to approx $800 some years. They also fund a subscriber's savings account via your premiums. My SSA has $3K-$4K in it. I guess if you leave them, that gets paid out. It may not work for everyone. It's been OK for me. There's more to it than just the annual quoted premium.

I just went through this exercise. I was a faithful StateFarm customer for 5 years until it dawned on me that they were ripping me off. I started getting quotes. I moved to Erie, the same cost but now I insure 2 vehicles instead of one at the same price (actually a little less). I repeat this exercise every year, but I do not go with the cheapest one. What good is an insurance if it doesn't help when you need it. I have read a lot of horror (and good too) stories with cheap insurance companies, but I always prepare myself for the worst.

If you want the best, Chubb is the best but also its the most expensive.
Next, Erie, Amica, Auto owners (if you have one) are the good ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Originally Posted By: Schmoe

The price of auto insurance in general has increased a good amount in the last few years. Lower fuel prices=more driving, greater chances for accidents. Higher insurance costs, less people can afford it, they drive around without insurance, and that equals more uninsured motorist claims. The recent hurricanes don't help either. We all pay higher premiums because of this.

Yep, and even if there were no hurricanes, insurance companies can raise rate to build up money to pay for Harvey or Katrina disasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back