Importance or significance of load wear index?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, i am wondering what the importance and or significance of the load wear index is when looking at grease info.

Some products list this figure in their data sheets and some do not.

Any insights would be appreciated!

It is mostly related to extreme pressure(EP) protection and the last non-seizure load(LNSL). The higher the EP weld load and the LNSL is the higher the load wear index(LWI) will generally be. LNSL and LWI should pretty much always correlate when comparing similar products (as in if a product has a better LNSL, it should also have a better LWI)

So it will indicate the protection and it does relate to relatively low loads as well, but the biggest contributor is where the LNSL is, in my experience.

It is a pretty good indicator or performance over a wide range though and a product that has a higher LWI should offer better protection in variable load applications 9 times out of 10.

Excellent info

So are all three values always reported if the astm 2596 testing is done? (LNSL, LWI, and weld point)

For example, on some grease product sheets i see a weld point value and a load wear index value bit not a LNSL value. I assume the manufacturer would, in a case like that, have the LNSL figure but just didnt include it on a data sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back