HM oil in low miilage vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did search for this hear and google but not finding anything.

I would like to hear from those who us a high mileage oil in a vehicle with low mileage. Mainly interested in a 10w30 for my TBI 350 but all is welcome. Please include brand, weight and why your are using a HM in a low mileage vehicle.

Ive worked on a few of the TBI 350 engines.. not a fan of the gas they dump that contaminates the oil. If it were mine i would use the HM oil due to the extra friction additives..then do an oil analysis keeping an eye on fuel contamination.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How many miles on it and what's the year?

Is it burning or leaking oil?

Does using HM oil in a vehicle with 180K miles on the clock with no burning or leaking result in issues should non-HM oil later be used?

Thanks

This question is quite common and always opens a can of worms on here. Let me first say, this is my opinion, nobody really knows what additives are in HM oil. Some brands use words like "nourish", "condition" and "rejuvenate" seals. Some on here say they go back and forth between HM and regular with no I'll effects.

A couple years ago long time Auto Week contributor Stuart Goss said on the show..

Needless to say, BITOG erupted with opinions. Most claimed he was misinformed. Seeking clarification myself and others went to the Official (and recently deceased so you'll have to take my word for it) Mobil 1 Website FAQ asking questions and looking for answers. To my surprise, terms "seal sweller" and "swells seals" were used repeatedly by whoever was answering the Mobil 1 HM FAQ. Again, that website was merged or removed by Exxon Mobil recently. The FAQ no longer exists. I know what I saw. I used M1 HM in a high mileage old Camry with bad valve seals I used to own for years. Worked well, consumption went down.. I changed back to a regular oil as a test. Startup blue smoke and consumption would gradually come back over a few oil changes.

So I personally would not use a HM oil unless it was to run a car with seal problems long enough to trade it in. Its not clear if the seals are being swelled, nourished, rejuvenated, or whatever other marketing terms are used by different brands of HM oil. Modern oils are far superior to a few years ago, I would just use that.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
How many miles on it and what's the year?

Is it burning or leaking oil?

It's in my 89 (see sig) but it only has about 15k on new TBI crate engine and it does't use or leak any oil.

I just thought it would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind someone using a HM oil in a low mileage vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
This question is quite common and always opens a can of worms on here. Let me first say, this is my opinion, nobody really knows what additives are in HM oil. Some brands use words like "nourish", "condition" and "rejuvenate" seals. Some on here say they go back and forth between HM and regular with no I'll effects.

A couple years ago long time Auto Week contributor Stuart Goss said on the show..

Needless to say, BITOG erupted with opinions. Most claimed he was misinformed. Seeking clarification myself and others went to the Official (and recently deceased so you'll have to take my word for it) Mobil 1 Website FAQ asking questions and looking for answers. To my surprise, terms "seal sweller" and "swells seals" were used repeatedly by whoever was answering the Mobil 1 HM FAQ. Again, that website was merged or removed by Exxon Mobil recently. The FAQ no longer exists. I know what I saw. I used M1 HM in a high mileage old Camry with bad valve seals I used to own for years. Worked well, consumption went down.. I changed back to a regular oil as a test. Startup blue smoke and consumption would gradually come back over a few oil changes.

So I personally would not use a HM oil unless it was to run a car with seal problems long enough to trade it in. Its not clear if the seals are being swelled, nourished, rejuvenated, or whatever other marketing terms are used by different brands of HM oil. Modern oils are far superior to a few years ago, I would just use that.

Thank you so much for this thorough & insightful response.

Exactly what I needed to know.

Go on any of the oil manufacturers website's. They all advise HM oil is perfectly fine in new and low mileage vehicles. Most are now SN/GF-5 and must meet the guidelines of those specs, thus satisfying warranty.

That Pat Goss video is from at least 2010 or 2011. Most HM oils back then were SM or SL and did not meet ILSAC at all. They do now.

I think it would be important to note some brands hi mileage formulas are ILSAC GF5 (energy conserving API SN) and some are simply API SN (non resource conserving) and can be a little thicker than other weights of oil.

I have noticed Valvoline max life (hi mi) syn blend and syn both carry the ILSAC gf5 and API SN resource conserving.
Quaker state hi mileage also carries the ILSAC GF5 and API SN resource conserving for that 10w30 weight
Pennzoil platinum hi mi also carries the ILSAC GF5 RC

Pennzoil conventional hi mileage is only listed as API SN non RC and sits a bit on the thicker side of 10w30
Mobil 1 hi mileage full syn also is only listed as API SN non RC and also sits a little on the thicker side

the cheapest hi mi with GF5 is probably QS hi mi
The cheapest hi mi just API SN is probably pennzoil conventional hi mileage

I think if the hi mileage oil still meets the same modern requirements such as ILSAC GF5 and API SN resource conserving I wouldn't mind putting it in a lower mileage car. I've used QS hi mi in a lower mileage newer Jeep Wrangler with no issues. No discernible differences in mileage or sound

Originally Posted By: wemay
Go on any of the oil manufacturers website's. They all advise HM oil is perfectly fine in new and low mileage vehicles. Most are now SN/GF-5 and must meet the guidelines of those specs, thus satisfying warranty.

That Pat Goss video is from at least 2010 or 2011. Most HM oils back then were SM or SL and did not meet ILSAC at all. They do now.

Can you tell us what this means in regards to the use of proprietary additives like seal conditioners/swellers?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: wemay

Can you tell us what this means in regards to the use of proprietary additives like seal conditioners/sweller?

This means, in order to meet given specs, whatever the chemistry entails must meet new car requirements if said requirements are SN/GF-5. This must include seal conditioners.

If regular oil works fine whats the point? If it aint broke dont fix it! Thats my opinion on the matter. I have some PP HM that Im delaying on using since my car is not burning/using any oil.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If regular oil works fine whats the point? If it aint broke dont fix it! Thats my opinion on the matter. I have some PP HM that Im delaying on using since my car is not burning/using any oil.

I agree but I accidentally picked up a 5-quart jug of M1-HM 5w20 and it's been sitting on my shelf too long to return it.

I just wondered if using it would be opening a can o' worms by exposing my seals to the various conditioners when they display no current HM issue.

This has been a very informative thread. Thanks

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

...This has been a very informative thread. Thanks

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I agree but I accidentally picked up a 5-quart jug of M1-HM 5w20 and it's been sitting on my shelf too long to return it.

I just wondered if using it would be opening a can o' worms by exposing my seals to the various conditioners when they display no current HM issue.

This has been a very informative thread. Thanks

Use the oil - it won't hurt the engine. Your engine will not become 'dependent' on the HM oil and start to 'dry out' or prematurely age if you go back to non-HM oil.

.. it's just like how some people will try to tell you that if you start using synthetic oil, and then stop, your engine will start leaking everywhere. It won't.

Ultimately, virtually all HM oils that you will find in any reputable store are going to be extremely high-quality oil, and many of them (if not all) are going to be a synthetic blend of some kind, or in the case of your M1 - a full synth.

I agree but I accidentally picked up a 5-quart jug . . .

I did the same thing except mine was Pennzoil Platinum. Didn't notice it was high mileage oil until I had the old oil drained out. (I don't like Pennzoil's bottles all looking pretty much alike. Us old people get confused easily!
smile.gif
) I went ahead and used it. The only difference is the engine FEELS a little sluggish on cold starts, after about 5 minutes feels absolutely normal.

I'll admit this could be all in my head. This is in my 2013 Impala which I've had for 3+ years.

Quote:

I did the same thing except mine was Pennzoil Platinum. Didn't notice it was high mileage oil until I had the old oil drained out. (I don't like Pennzoil's bottles all looking pretty much alike. Us old people get confused easily!
smile.gif
) I went ahead and used it. The only difference is the engine FEELS a little sluggish on cold starts, after about 5 minutes feels absolutely normal.

I'll admit this could be all in my head. This is in my 2013 Impala which I've had for 3+ years.

That's strange because PPHM is thinner for grade than regular PP PUP.

I have a 2004 low mileage Toyota Corolla 114145 miles I use what's on sale I've used some HM oils then gone away from them with the next oil I got on sale. Its never leaked it uses about a 1/2 a pint of oil in a 5K OCI. Find something that matters to worry about in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back