Briggs & Stratton 799868 Carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine; $7.98 for a carburetor ? ebay link

You might say, don't buy a Chinese knock off, but the O.E.M. carburetor is made in China too.
21.gif

Is the Genuine Briggs & Stratton carburetor (which is made in China) better quality ?
confused2.gif

Genuine Briggs & Stratton, $39.99 ebay link

A basically obsolete carb. which has little to go wrong with it compared to the diaphram carbs mostly seen today.

In one-off cases I spend the ransom money so I can sleep. If there is any engine problem after replacing the carb you will kick yourself blaming the cheap carb for a leak (running lean) or loose particle getting out and scoring the cylinder walls.

The Tecumseh carbs retain all three adjustment screws. They are OK, not perfect - but the original Tecumseh carbs are usually [censored] anyway.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
These cheap carbs are fine. My brother buys them all the time.

Good to know!

The diagram carbs aren't always direct replacement sometimes you have to change the throttle or choke hook up which involves changing parts from the old carb. I bought a Honda replacement carb once and there was a big weight difference between it and the original Honda carb. It worked but the quality was poor.

Last edited:
I replace a lot of carbs for customers.

I've found it is best not to buy the CHEAPEST one, but maybe the one that is a few notches up from the cheapest. I've installed many of the really cheap ones only to have the jets not be properly drilled out and the engine runs like garbage. It isn't a big problem with Briggs and Honda carbs, but Tecumsehs seem really sensitive to minor adjustments and any problems with a new carburetor will cause issues.

Luckily with Tecumsehs there is usually a wide variety to pick from on eBay, so I pick the $20 dollar carb instead of the $8 one. Judging by the pictures you can also tell if everything is really cheap. For me, the extra couple bucks is negligible, and means less time the machine is sitting in my garage half apart since I don't usually have to send them back.

I'm on my second $20 eBay carb for my 18hp Briggs 31P777 series engine in matter of weeks. When I received the first one, it wasn't packaged well and the choke plate and plastic choke plate shaft were dislodged from the carb body. I got it back together, but the choke shaft broke after a few weeks allowing the choke plate to suck into the carb a bit! I stuck the OEM choke assy in it, but the shaft binds too much. 2nd replacement is intact, but I have to get out there and get it installed. Like said above, these Chinese carbs are identical looking in every way to the OEM. There's not a single marking or p/n on them, but they mostly match right up.
s-l1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTK
I got it back together, but the choke shaft broke after a few weeks allowing the choke plate to suck into the carb a bit!

Yep, definitely be careful and make sure everything is tight when buying a Chinese carb. I had a Briggs come in a few months ago. Owner bought a new carb and slapped it on. The screws started loosening on the butterfly, and one came out and went into the engine. The screw nicked the intake valve and scored the cylinder a bit. Luckily a new intake valve and some valve lapping got it back to running shape.

^ Great advice on checking all screws, etc. I just installed my 2nd replacement and mowed with it for 30min or so. The electrical connector for the fuel shut-off solenoid doesn't snap-in and lock quite right on replacement carb #2, but she runs nice. Idle isn't quite right, but I don't really idle it anyway. There is a single mixture screw on these carbs, but I can't seem to get them dialed in like the OEM carb was.

When I had my small engine shop I bought and used hundreds of these cheap Chinese carbs. I often found them to be BETTER than the OEM carb. The OEM carbs are coming with super small (lean) jets due to EPA guidelines, which makes them surge or run terribly. It seems to me that the cheaper Chinese carbs often have larger jets which makes them run like the engine is supposed to. The OEM carbs will have sealed mixture screws as well. The cheap Chinese ones are often not sealed, so they are adjustable.

So DEFINITELY buy that $7 carburetor. It will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back