parking perpendicular to the curb in a cal de sac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people do this? Is it even legal or is it just one of those new things people do that they haven't made a law for yet? Last time I checked they're made big enough for emergency vehicles to get through, but not if you're parked perpendicularly. Then if you have a trailer, you can forget turning around. I've backed up 2,000 feet before with a trailer because I couldn't turn around. Usually if I can I'll make a 90 degree turn, then back the trailer up in the somebody's driveway, so I have enough room to turn around, but most times the vehicles parked make that impossible.

The last time I checked was you're supposed to be no more than 18" away from a curb, so I would assume drivin straight up to a curb like its a parking lot space would be illegal.

They do it because LEO’s seem to like human interaction these days and need to get back to slipping that little surprise under the wiper blades=right after those fools get a mess of them parking on the wrong side of road (facing traffic)

I've never seen anyone do this...the cul-de-sacs in my neighborhood have huge landscape islands in them so maybe those are there to prevent that?

It sucks if you're trying to turn around. That happened to me yesterday as I was searching for yards in the neighborhood that have weeds. They should just paint the curbs red at the end of cul-de-sacs.

I've seen this a few times, people are idiots. It always seems to be someone with a double cab pickup or giant van too.

I don't get why people can't park in their driveway. I see people with four cars and three are in the street.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Why do people do this? Is it even legal or is it just one of those new things people do that they haven't made a law for yet? ...

Why do they do it?
As typical of many of my responses, I see this falling into two categories:
1) ignorance of the law
2) arrogance of the law

http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2017/ic/titles/009#9-21-16

Indiana code: 9-21-16-7
" .... a vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there is an adjacent curb must be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel with and within twelve (12) inches of the right-hand curb. " (exempted when the parking spots are designated as angular by marked signage/paint stripes)

Some people in a cul-de-sac seem to be of the opinion that they own the circular asphalt in front of their domicile. Same goes for folks near the end of a dead-end road. As if only they belong at these "ends" of travel and everyone else is an interloper. Despite their position, it is a public roadway and they are to follow the laws.

I suspect other states have similar laws.

Last edited:
Seems when #2 is obviously the case a little paper on the windshield breaks the habit and might avoid an incident
Watched a guy park wrong side for years at a school crossroads / in a town well, well, known for moving violations

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Are you talking about dead end streets or the circular kind?

Both have been brought up in this thread, but the OP stated Cul-de-sac which is the circular type typically.

A close second to this cul-de-sac pet-peeve is when folks park going the "wrong way" on a street, because they are (presumably) too lazy to turn around prior to parking. There is a safety factor to this; it is safer for them to exit their vehicle on the "curb" side and not in traffic. But ... There is a safety factor for the public that counters the driver's issue. When approaching a vehicle that is parked "wrong way" on your side, it can confuse someone in short duration as to making them believe they are not on the "right" side of the road, or going the "wrong way" down a one-way street. This is confounded at night when it's more difficult to ascertain markers and delineations.

And then they're the idiots that want to waive their right-of-way to be "kind" to others. This causes all manner of delays, and accidents. Unfortunately, the rest of us are counting on you FOLLOWING THE RULES/LAWS and therefore your actions create undue/unforeseen/unwarranted traffic congestion and altered traffic patterns. Examples are not going when it's your turn at a stop-sign; stopping traffic flow to allow someone to turn in front of you; not entering a round-a-bout when your quarter is clear; etc ...

IF ONLY PEOPLE WOULD FOLLOW THE RULES/LAWS, TRAFFIC WOULD FLOW SMOOTHER, BE SAFER, AND SELF-REGULATE.

I hate that too. lol Everybody around here seems to think that they should let the other person go at a stop sign. Then they get made when I go first because, well I got their first.

in our area due to tightness of driveways landscapers park trailers on the road. I drove around one and nearly clocked a landscaper who jumped out without loooking.I said sorry and he proceeded to swear at me despite the mutual mistake of both of us not looking hard enough. Note trailer was blocking 3/4 of lane.

After the barrage he watched me drive up to get phone number of company I promptly called. No idea what happened but landscape owner came by my house and apologized in person.

Just saying as annoying as cars are so are landscaping vehicles. You just deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back