Advance auto/pep boys sued for overcharging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article here
Just funny I was overcharged for one quart of Quaker state 0w-20 so googled if there was an easy solution. What's even funnier is that these Quaker state, peak 15w-40, Idemitsu 0w-20 products are not even being tagged properly! But at least it is working in the customers favor this time.

I was at Autozone last month and purchased a can of clear coat which was labeled on the shelf with a price of $7.99. I went to pay for it and the cashier scanned it at $8.99. I immediately brought to his attention the price difference and pointed it out to him by walking him over to the shelf. He responded that he will only sell it at the scanned price of $8.99 and that I could speak to the manager if I was not happy. I asked for the manager who he told me is at lunch and will be back in about 30 minutes. I left and called the store about 30 minutes later. The manager answered and told me that the scanned price is correct, that the price label is old, and the price label will be changed but refused to honor the old labeled price. I called Autozone corporate who said they will look into the matter. This was a month ago and I never heard back from Autozone again. I wonder if they ever changed the old price labels on the shelf?

The land of fruit, nuts, and consumer protection ought to have a statute relating to this practice. I know my state has one which says the POSTED price is the one they must charge. Check with your state Consumer Protection agency.

Every state has different laws regarding retail pricing, and how price discrepancies are dealt with.. but most are similar.

Kool1, based on California law, that Autozone is in violation..

Quoting California B&P Code, 12024.2:
Quote:
(a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of a commodity, to do any of the following:
(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that commodity.

(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity, notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the posted price is in effect.

(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or by both, if the violation is willful or grossly negligent, or when the overcharge is more than one dollar ($1).

(c) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) when the overcharge is one dollar ($1) or less.

(d) As used in subdivisions (b) and (c), "overcharge" means the amount by which the charge for a commodity exceeds a price that is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted to that consumer for that commodity at the time of sale.

(e) Except as provided in subdivision (f), for purposes of this section, when more than one price for the same commodity is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted, the person offering the commodity for sale shall charge the lowest of those prices.

(f) Pricing may be subject to a condition of sale, such as membership in a retailer-sponsored club, the purchase of a minimum quantity, or the purchase of multiples of the same item, provided that the condition is conspicuously posted in the same location as the price.

When I worked in a supermarket, many item prices in the produce dept changed weekly.

Some of the older sale priced tags were accidentally not removed, but Publix still honored the expired sale price.

Everywhere I've been, you get the lower of scanned or posted price. Period. No surprise they've been sued....probably a corporate policy!

I just paid like $14-15 for a quart of Advance house brand "full synthetic" 75w90 gear oil at a local Advance Auto. That's all they had in that weight and I needed it.
frown.gif

I did notice at pep boys sometimes the oil filters online were priced $3 something online and marked $3 something in store but whenever they would scan it. It usually costs almost a dollar more. Every single time. Whenever I brought it up I was always told no the price is what is scanned and too bad. Once when I asked to see the manager the cashier told me just to take another filter for free and just go.
That's a reason why I stopped going to pep boys. It makes me think they are aware they overcharge people and hope they don't notice.

I liked the Pep Boys of 20 or so years ago. The last time I was in one, earlier this year, I saw overpriced oil, and lots of tacky, stick-on chrome garbage.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I liked the Pep Boys of 20 or so years ago. The last time I was in one, earlier this year, I saw overpriced oil, and lots of tacky, stick-on chrome garbage.

Haha all the flea market bling accessories
laugh.gif

Glad they got called out on it. I've never had trouble getting the posted price honored at a store. The way I see it, I'm not in charge of making sure the prices are posted in a timely fashion, and if I catch them then too bad.

Case in point: I bought a 50" LCD at BB a couple months ago. The posted price was $299.99. Rang up at $349.99. I brought it to the attention of the guy ringing it up who walked over to the display, saw the lower price, and said "That should have been taken down. Guess you caught us!" He had no issue honoring the lower price.

Worked in the business 20 years. Corporate sends hundreds of price changes a month. No staffing to change the labels. Do you mop the floor, do check engine lights, answer the phone all with 1 or 2 people. [censored] situation

Yeah working at pep I know people who get sticker shock when it rings up higher than online. Reason is online shows the 25-30% discount in red on the website and thats what people see. Next time you see that just tell them to put mmj30 when ringing up your order. They are obligated to do so and it saves you on some parts and accessories. Be sure to check the coupons page for brakes/oil codes. One thing they do that I do not like at all is the mail in rebate [censored]. they put castrol edge and a fram orange can in the paper for 23.99 in RED. Meanwhile, in the fine print it says "after 10 dollar MAIL IN rebate". Who has time for that!? Had a customer walk out just because of that, others start asking specifics about the rebate form I hand them when I have a huge line. Though the store I work at is not that bad. And yes we get many many price changes, new items, they make us move around the parts to different places.

Last year a bean counter thought that having rotors arranged vertically was using up too much space. Employees in the store had to spend time to adjust the shelves, add labels and catalogue the rotors (which are HEAVY) horizontally. They look perfect horizontally.
And just as everything was going well, now all pepboys must arrange the rotors vertically again... Really? People are killing themselves moving these rotors again and they keep shipping us more every week.. three pallets worth waiting to be catalogued and shelved while only about 30-40% of the rotors are vertically stacked

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Yeah working at pep I know people who get sticker shock when it rings up higher than online. Reason is online shows the 25-30% discount in red on the website and thats what people see. Next time you see that just tell them to put mmj30 when ringing up your order. They are obligated to do so and it saves you on some parts and accessories. Be sure to check the coupons page for brakes/oil codes. One thing they do that I do not like at all is the mail in rebate [censored]. they put castrol edge and a fram orange can in the paper for 23.99 in RED. Meanwhile, in the fine print it says "after 10 dollar MAIL IN rebate". Who has time for that!? Had a customer walk out just because of that, others start asking specifics about the rebate form I hand them when I have a huge line. Though the store I work at is not that bad. And yes we get many many price changes, new items, they make us move around the parts to different places.

Last year a bean counter thought that having rotors arranged vertically was using up too much space. Employees in the store had to spend time to adjust the shelves, add labels and catalogue the rotors (which are HEAVY) horizontally. They look perfect horizontally.
And just as everything was going well, now all pepboys must arrange the rotors vertically again... Really? People are killing themselves moving these rotors again and they keep shipping us more every week.. three pallets worth waiting to be catalogued and shelved while only about 30-40% of the rotors are vertically stacked

When I was looking for yellow/amber Hella 55W H3 bulbs for the aux lights of my motor cycle last month, Pep Boys had them on special on the website for like 30% off with a promo code to enter in the online cart. Better price than anywhere else online and anywhere else online tended to involve either ship to home or ship to store (delay from warehouse to store). PB had them in stock at local store ready to go, and their online promo code deal beat every competitor.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/795917/00233

I very much liked the option PB gave of "buy online but pay at store pickup" which is what I did using the promo code in the online cart. At the store, that gave me the option to shop the bulb section and make sure there wasn't another one I wanted instead (which there wasn't). A PB associate came over and asked if I needed any help, and after briefly looking at the bulb section I told him I'd reserved a set of the Hella yellow H3's online for pickup/pay and he said yeah, I've got that ready to go. Went to the counter, paid the promo price, out the door. About five minutes total store time. Anyone should have no problem snagging the online promo code deal, picking up, and paying at their local PB store... it was not complicated.

Satisfied PB customer here !!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: THafeez

When I was looking for yellow/amber Hella 55W H3 bulbs for the aux lights of my motor cycle last month, Pep Boys had them on special on the website for like 30% off with a promo code to enter in the online cart. Better price than anywhere else online and anywhere else online tended to involve either ship to home or ship to store (delay from warehouse to store). PB had them in stock at local store ready to go, and their online promo code deal beat every competitor.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/795917/00233

I very much liked the option PB gave of "buy online but pay at store pickup" which is what I did using the promo code in the online cart. At the store, that gave me the option to shop the bulb section and make sure there wasn't another one I wanted instead (which there wasn't). A PB associate came over and asked if I needed any help, and after briefly looking at the bulb section I told him I'd reserved a set of the Hella yellow H3's online for pickup/pay and he said yeah, I've got that ready to go. Went to the counter, paid the promo price, out the door. About five minutes total store time. Anyone should have no problem snagging the online promo code deal, picking up, and paying at their local PB store... it was not complicated.

Satisfied PB customer here !!

Another satisfied PB customer here too. I scored some pretty good deals shopping online with them, then get a rewards card in the mail for $10. Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back