Mobil 1 AP vs PP 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing 2nd oil change on the Taco. Going to be doing 10k mile OCI, fram ultra filter. 20 mile commute back and forth 5 days a week (40 miles total per day) of rural highway (45 to 50mph) with 2 60mile highway trips back and forth 2 days a week any advantage of one or the other? Weight will be 0w20. Vehicle is in my signature below.

Personally, I'd use M1 AFE or EP over PP, but PP is still a solid oil.
AP is too costly for an oil of which we have very little service history.
No need to use it on 10K drains that could be easily accommodated with a cheaper oil.

Even the cheap synthetics like QSUD and Mobil Super Synthetic (and the house brands) should be able to handle a mfr-spec 10k OCI, especially the highway miles of your driving conditions
smile.gif

I would say that using any similar price point oil there will not be a difference no matter how long you keep the Toyota. Todays oils are excellent.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No need to use it on 10K drains that could be easily accommodated with a cheaper oil.

Agreed

I'd use whichever of those is cheapest at the time of the change. I doubt you'll notice a difference. I don't think the extra cost of AP or EP does anything for your scenario unless you want to start stretching the change interval.

What kind of oil life meter does the car have? What does Toyota say for a change interval?

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
M1 will give you better cold start performance

How did you come to this conclusion?

I've run both M1 AFE 0w20 and pp 0w20 in my 14 sienna 2GRFE. The AFE has slightly but noticeably higher valve train noise after the change. There are lots of threads on this but non show inferior UOIs. The PP and other oil are quieter.

This^^^^

Originally Posted By: PimTac

He may have relied on those silly PQIA VOAs which show that M1 AFE offers significantly better W end numbers than PP. Lower NOACK as well.
Still, unless the OP needs to do -35C starts on winter mornings, which he won't in NH, the difference is probably more theoretical than real.
Either M1 AFE or EP in this grade is documented as having plenty of Grp IV in the basestock blends used while PP uses a GTL Grp III basestock, for whatever that's worth.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

He may have relied on those silly PQIA VOAs which show that M1 AFE offers significantly better W end numbers than PP. Lower NOACK as well.
Still, unless the OP needs to do -35C starts on winter mornings, which he won't in NH, the difference is probably more theoretical than real.
Either M1 AFE or EP in this grade is documented as having plenty of Grp IV in the basestock blends used while PP uses a GTL Grp III basestock, for whatever that's worth.

Using a VOA from any source to determine the quality of a oil is full of holes. Too many variables. Numbers can be compared but I really wonder if in fact there is much difference between a Noack of 11.1 and 10.6 for example? Or, the difference between a pour point of -38c and 42c? Sometimes we get too fixated on numbers.

Depends upon what you're looking at as well as knowing what to look at.
Large differences in certain physical properties are probably meaningful.
Not sure what you meant by your use of "full of holes".
If by that you mean that the non-metallic adds are invisible, then I'd have to agree.
If we follow your assertion to its logical conclusion, then no tests to any certification can be meaningful, since all must be full of these holes you posit.
I'm sure that isn't what you meant, so we have to use what we've learned to evaluate what can be observed in the results of any test protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back