Mazda 3 2.5 oil sump capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Got a question hopefully i can get some support with (i searched but did not find this specific topic).

I recently purchased a new to me 2013 Mazda 3 HB with the 4 cilinder 2.5 engine (pre-skyactiv).
Odometer currently reads 98,000 KM or 60,000 miles approx. (always dealer maintained)

I read the manual and for Mexico it calls out for 5w-20 or 5w-30 IIRC.

However,

I did not find any information how much oil or sum capacity this car has,
Any other owners or mechanic that can share this information?.
Or did i just miss this bit of info in the manual?

I still got 2 more dealers services to do due to an extended warranty but after that i plan on doing the oil changes at an another place using synthetic (Castrol, Mobil 1 or Valvoline) and a FRAM ULTRA every 10,000 KMs.

Thanks for any support you can provide.

Originally Posted By: knoas
Hey guys,

Got a question hopefully i can get some support with (i searched but did not find this specific topic).

I recently purchased a new to me 2013 Mazda 3 HB with the 4 cilinder 2.5 engine (pre-skyactiv).
Odometer currently reads 98,000 KM or 60,000 miles approx. (always dealer maintained)

I read the manual and for Mexico it calls out for 5w-20 or 5w-30 IIRC.

However,

I did not find any information how much oil or sum capacity this car has,
Any other owners or mechanic that can share this information?.
Or did i just miss this bit of info in the manual?

I still got 2 more dealers services to do due to an extended warranty but after that i plan on doing the oil changes at an another place using synthetic (Castrol, Mobil 1 or Valvoline) and a FRAM ULTRA every 10,000 KMs.

Thanks for any support you can provide.

As others have noted, it's in the specifications chapter of the manual. It's on pg 10-6 and it is 5L (5.3 US quarts) with an oil filter change. It is 4.6L (4.9 US quarts) if you do not change the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
5.3 quarts of 0W20 per US spec. Capacity should be the same for the Mexico spec model.

+1

Really appreciate the support guys,

I was trying to find it in the oil section where it mentions the viscosity ratings required.

Thank you so much.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Big motor!

More like someone adding extra capacity to protect against burning.

Yep, my old 2003 Protege5 had the 2.0L FS engine took 3.5L. Now it takes 5L of oil to fill with a filter change.

Wife and I have a 2012 Mazda 5 with the 2.5. that motor has lots of power and uses no oil. Very easy oil and filter changes. No bottom covers to remove. They have access points in the cover to get to filter and drain plug. I use 0-20 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Wife and I have a 2012 Mazda 5 with the 2.5. that motor has lots of power and uses no oil. Very easy oil and filter changes. No bottom covers to remove. They have access points in the cover to get to filter and drain plug. I use 0-20 synthetic.

+1

Easy oil changes on this one. I get about 5.25 quarts out and in -- I always replace filter though. The 2012+ Mz5 engine is likely identical to pre-skyactiv Mz3. You can probably go with just about any 20 or 30 grade motor oil: 0w20, 0w30, 5w20, etc. Not sure how warranty claims are handled in Mexico but if you want to be extra careful/safe, 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 will allow for plenty of choices assuming major brands are available to you. I don't think this engine is picky about motor oil grades or brands although I've only used Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 in 0w20 so far. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back