Tree stand failure stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how they grouped alcohol as a separate item from "entering/exiting stand" and "falling asleep". But that's 21% alcohol-related injuries, on a stand, when hunting. Oh-kay then.

This being said, my most successful hunts involved falling asleep until I heard the deer approach. Obviously not in a tree stand.

I have to admit, when I first read the topic, I though to myself, I wonder how many 250# rated tree stands failed under 350# of hunter (before gear?)

And as soon as I open the link nearly 1/3rd of the incidents were related to tree stand structural failure....

Those pesky deer might be sabotaging those tree stands at night when the hunter is sleeping.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I have to admit, when I first read the topic, I though to myself, I wonder how many 250# rated tree stands failed under 350# of hunter (before gear?)

And as soon as I open the link nearly 1/3rd of the incidents were related to tree stand structural failure....

If they are like werner aluminum ladders the rating is under IDEAL conditions and setup..

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
Funny how they grouped alcohol as a separate item from "entering/exiting stand" and "falling asleep". But that's 21% alcohol-related injuries, on a stand, when hunting. Oh-kay then.

This being said, my most successful hunts involved falling asleep until I heard the deer approach. Obviously not in a tree stand.

The operative word being heard. I remember one year, my brother come by and asks; "didn't you see that big buck?, it must have come this way" and I replied "it didn't come by me". So my bother asked again; Why are there fresh tracks here twenty feet in front of you???"

My lame excuse is that we had been up before the crack of dawn to hike out to our respective sites.

Last edited:
I climbed up in a tree stand about a week ago just to see what kind of growth needed trimming. The breeze got to blowing and I nodded off 3 or 4 times, I was glad that I had the safety rail in place.

Very true. If I were to hunt deer I would just stay on the ground. No dogs used at all. If you have hilly topography you can use that as a height advantage. The land near my old house had a very tall steep hill 65 ft (you had to get on all fours to climb up it because it was that steep) in which you could see the whole valley below for quite some distance. Obviously the wind directions would be a key factor. A northerly wind and you would be in business. A southerly wind and you would have to cross the stream in the valley and take up position on that smaller hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back