Possible overfill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed my oil on my 17 Tacoma 4x4. The manual calls for 6.2 quarts with the transmission cooler. I always drain my vehicles semi warm to get the oil. I keep getting a reading that says i'm 1/4" of a inch high. Not really much at all. I put back roughly 6.2 measuring the back of the bottle.

I check it by starting it up. Let it cool down for 5-10 mins with the dipstick out and wipe and recheck.

The level looks like this below. Maybe even a bit less.

Last edited:
Oil has wiggle room. ATF can be finicky.

I echo xxch4, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't worry be happy:) I have almost the same on my big Ford right now. Put about 3600 miles on it last weekend making it a long weekend humping relatives belongings to central AZ and back and Friday will be taking the camper to KY another 1000.

I'll bet the dipstick has a warning on it..."Do Not Overfill." Adjust the oil level to be at or just below the FULL line.

Last edited:
This has been a common “problem” with some of the newer Toyota engines - 3.5, the new 1.8, etc. The published oil capacity is usually too much. I have found that 1/4 qt less than the published amount is usually perfect. Keep in mind that the oil level will rise a bit once the engine is warm, so your goal is to have the oil level read max (and no higher) when checked on a hot engine.

Hope I'm overstating the obvious, but is the vehicle on a smooth, level surface when checked?

*(On another post, I see that when you changed the Oil, you also changed the filter from an OEM Toyota to a Fram......not to familiar with these filters, but is it possible the Fram has slight less capacity than the OEM?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I'll bet the dipstick has a warning on it..."Do Not Overfill." Adjust the oil level to be at or just below the FULL line.
This^^^^^

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This has been a common “problem” with some of the newer Toyota engines - 3.5, the new 1.8, etc. The published oil capacity is usually too much. I have found that 1/4 qt less than the published amount is usually perfect. Keep in mind that the oil level will rise a bit once the engine is warm, so your goal is to have the oil level read max (and no higher) when checked on a hot engine.

yes this is the 3.5. So do you think I should drain a bit? I can't imagine it being that much. I put in 6.2 quarts. Maybe there was some residual hiding in the transmission cooler line?

Having that much in extra should not cause any foaming or any harm correct?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EMT_760
Originally Posted By: The Critic

yes this is the 3.5. So do you think I should drain a bit? I can't imagine it being that much. I put in 6.2 quarts. Maybe there was some residual hiding in the transmission cooler line?

Having that much in extra should not cause any foaming or any harm correct?
How does engine oil get into the transmission cooler lines?

I don't think their related. But for some reason the manual requires a bit more oil when equipped.

If I were you, I'd just shrug my shoulders, mutter "meh" and use six quarts even the next time.
FF for most vehicles seems to put the oil a bit above the full line on the dipstick, so the level you have should be of no concern.
Were it mine, I'd not mess with trying to drain or suck out a few ounces of oil.
Guess how much oil my 4.5 qt sumps always got?

Understood. I mean if it's at roughly 1/4th of a " or so. That's easily less than half a quart. Prob that .2 of a quart that would be needed to be drained out.

It's pretty easy to remove some excess oil. A small hand-pump and tubing down the dipstick tube are what you need -- takes all of a new minutes.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If I were you, I'd just shrug my shoulders, mutter "meh" and use six quarts even the next time.
FF for most vehicles seems to put the oil a bit above the full line on the dipstick, so the level you have should be of no concern.
Were it mine, I'd not mess with trying to drain or suck out a few ounces of oil.
Guess how much oil my 4.5 qt sumps always got?

That's exactly what I would do. Plus there's the benefit of only needing whole quarts! (except for the 0.8qt he has left over right now!)

I wouldn't think another thought about that little amount. Drive on! If it bothers you use 6qts next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back