Honda HCF-2 vs. Redline nonslip CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just bought a 2015 Honda CRV with the CVT. It has about 38k but I am planning to baseline all the fluids with fresh fill in the coming weeks.

My question is about the Honda HCF-2 fluid vs. the Redline CVT equivalent. In the past, the Honda fluids were mid-pack. I've had good results with other Redline products before.

Does anyone have either data or real world experience with either? I expect to run it about 30k between changes.

I realize some will say to only use Honda fluids. I appreciate that viewpoint, but the car is out of warranty and I've never been an OEM ideologist in that regard.

Thanks in advance.

I was referring to comments folks have made that the older Honda ATF (Z1? Replaced by DW-1?) was not worth the cost, when there were other brands that were better for lower cost. Granted that was a while ago and may not apply now. It didn't mean don't use them, just that there were other options.

I think you answered my question, Mola, and I appreciate that. I'll probably go with Redline unless I get some serious information not to.

Exactly how is 2015 car out of warranty?

Honda warranty is 5year/60K miles IIRC; is it not transferrable

edit; just checked that; that sucks.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Redline, but boy is it expensive! My choice would be Castrol CVT, since it' a very good price on Amazon (and sometimes AAP when they have their Castrol ATF sale).

Isn't transmission fluid included in the MM?

The MM will be flagging the trans d&f really soon. Might as well wait to get on schedule. If she does a lot of short trips, the severe is 25k for start & stop or mountain driving.

OEM is fine if you’re going to dump good fluid at 30k.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Based on the comments, I got to thinking about the Redline cost, and it is a bunch more than some CVT fluids on sale, like now at AAP. (Anyone happen to know if it predictably goes on sale?)

Also a good thought that doing 30k changes should not stress anything, and she is generally a gentle driver.

AAP does have the Castrol CVT Transmax on sale for $5.50/qt., which I just bought online. It is actually a hair less than the Amazon price, and close to 60% cheaper than Redline. Redline makes really good stuff, but I may have to better manage my OCD BITOG tendencies.
crazy.gif

I will pick it up tomorrow.

[[Exactly how is 2015 car out of warranty?

Honda warranty is 5year/60K miles IIRC; is it not transferrable

edit; just checked that; that sucks.]]

Yeah, I'm not real happy with the warranty not transferring either. On the plus side, it appears to have had normal maintenance and is a local car per it's history.

[[Nothing wrong with Redline, but boy is it expensive! My choice would be Castrol CVT, since it' a very good price on Amazon (and sometimes AAP when they have their Castrol ATF sale). ]]

You got me rethinking how I was going about this. Thanks
cheers3.gif

[[The MM will be flagging the trans d&f really soon. Might as well wait to get on schedule. If she does a lot of short trips, the severe is 25k for start & stop or mountain driving.

OEM is fine if you’re going to dump good fluid at 30k.]]

The owner's manual set I got off Ebay this week arrives next week, so I'll follow up with the MM. Once I make the fluid change, I'll just reset it.

My wife drives like Racer X in her 2015 Honda Accord with CVT transmission. Have made two changes adding Redline CVT and she commented that she felt car responded quicker to her lead foot after the second change at 40000. Car has about 55000 on it now. I trust all redline products except water wetter for modern radiator turned slimy in past cars. I put redline D4 in her 2003 accord and transmission was still going strong with over 240000 miles on it. Think it is good to change CVT fluid every 20000 as it is not expensive maintenance and I saw Lubeguard had a universal CVT fluid and they recommend changing at 15000 miles on Honda which is sooner than other vehicles that can use their fluid.

[ I saw Lubeguard had a universal CVT fluid and they recommend changing at 15000 miles on Honda which is sooner than other vehicles that can use their fluid.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input.

I was wondering if Lubegard had a CVT fluid. I also like your results with Redline. It sounds like your wife and my daughter don't drive quite the same
grin.gif
But her comments about the Redline results vs. the others are helpful.

Now I am doubting myself.....
confused.gif
I will probably stay with the Castrol, but it will be next weekend at the earliest before the ATF change, so I reserve the right to rethink.

I used D4 in my 2007 V6 Accord and was really pleased with it. If I could find it less expensively, I'd use it. Will keep searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back