Scored a free Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests scored a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 600, headlight is missing, also one of the fork leg is bent. Tires are old and does need some TLC. No frame damage, plastic is in very reasonable condition, sprocket/chain looks very decent and so does rims.

It has ~20ishk miles on it. Question I have, should I build it and spend time/energy or money into it?

As I have read, many times Free motorcycles/cars(vehicles) cost a lot more in the long run
crazy.gif

Anyone has any thoughts or advice? Thanks y'all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Does it start/run?

No it doesn't, but when it was last parked it was running.

If I was given something free like this....I build something fun with it after I tore it apart.

Use the engine and swing arm to build a good go-kart/trike....or repower a lawn tractor....LOL!!!

Those are nice smooth, easy ridin' decently powerful 600. I would put up to 500 - 700 in it if the motor and trans are good. Should be plenty of parts in the bone yard for it.

Bent fork Hmmm.

My friend and I found an old moped in the trash and pushed it home. Replaced the piston bearing in it when we were 16 years old with some help from his father who taught us about the torch wrench. That thing went way faster than mopeds are supposed to. Like 40mph. Helmets weren't common back then. Yikes.

Point being, you might have a lot of fun with guest free bike and learn stuff, too. Not sure where you are in life if that's fun and educational for you.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If I was given something free like this....I build something fun with it after I tore it apart.

Use the engine and swing arm to build a good go-kart/trike....or repower a lawn tractor....LOL!!!

My thoughts exactly!

If that was in good, driving condition, it would be barely worth anything. Considering it needs a lot of work, parts, and energy, its not worth fixing, and would cost more to fix than it would be to buy a good condition, running bike.

At most, part it out on Craigslist. Someone will need the parts.

Or use the engine to build a ridiculous go cart.

Did it come with a clean title?

You can always use it as a learning experience, if you don't already know what you're doing.

I would do what you can do for free first (as in free labor), try get it running, see if there's compression, if the tank/carbs need drained/cleaned, see if it sparks.

Chances are you’ll soon need seals. Gaskets. Lot of them. You’ll end up spending time on that motorcycle, but it’s up to you to decide what it is all about
smile.gif
I’m currently modding an old Honda NSR 125 R into a classic roadster thing, I got it for free 4 years ago, put 500€ of parts in it to get it safe on road (fork seals leaking, brake calipers slide stuck, busted trans chain, tyres, carb overhaul, air filter) and rode 6 months, 7000 kilometers until the big end bearing went bad. Then I bought a brand new bike on a short 2 years credit that was cheap at the time.

I remember him asking about motorcycle scrap yards not long ago. Maybe get another free identical bike and cannibalize the parts from one of the bikes.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: CT8
It doesn't sound even close to being free.

So true. lol

Lol, agreed.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Did it come with a clean title?

You can always use it as a learning experience, if you don't already know what you're doing.

I would do what you can do for free first (as in free labor), try get it running, see if there's compression, if the tank/carbs need drained/cleaned, see if it sparks.

Very well said, yeah it did come with a good/clean title.

Totally true, compression and seeing if it starts would be the ONLY starting point. Otherwise, it might be just a dud! Thank you

If you can get the engine running, and the tranny to shift maybe then you have something that can be fixed, if you are handy and don't mind spending lots of time fussing with it.

I get a kick out of some of the TV shows where they fix up old cars. Half of the time they are a couple of days into tearing it apart, purchasing parts before they investigate to see if the engine and tranny work or need thousands to repair or replace.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

So true. lol

Lol, agreed.

There's nothing more expensive than an a free motorcycle.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

So true. lol

Lol, agreed.

There's nothing more expensive than an a free motorcycle.

Ed

That's not true, how about a free boat??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back