2016 Ram 1500 5.7 reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks I've been truck shopping the last few weeks and have run across a 2016 Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7 that has the numbers all in my favor. Seems like Dodge gets a worse rap on the interwebs than other manufacteurs so I thought I would check here to see what people think of the 5.7 powertrain as far as reliability goes. I also have had good experiences with 3rd party warranties and will have one for 7 years/72,000 miles from date of purchase(not 72,000 total miles). Thanks for any info on the late model Rams!

I own the same truck. I think the motor and trans are solid. I have 19k now and had a parking sensor fall out. Also fuel pump replaced at 16k. I think it was a fluke honestly. Truck runs great, mpg is respectable and it's very smooth. The Hemi and zf 8 speed both have good reputations.

I hate these trucks because they're such a pain to change the oil filter. It creates a huge mess no matter which way you do it. It makes me want to purchase a oil filter relocation kit just so I don't make a mess when I'm changing the oil.

The drive train is pretty solid but three common problem areas stand out in my experience.
1. Leaking (cracked/warped) exhaust manifolds.
2. Emission control system problems (evap system leaks are common).
3. HVAC problems (bad air door control motors and evaporator leaks are common).

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Hey folks I've been truck shopping the last few weeks and have run across a 2016 Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7 that has the numbers all in my favor. Seems like Dodge gets a worse rap on the interwebs than other manufacteurs so I thought I would check here to see what people think of the 5.7 powertrain as far as reliability goes. I also have had good experiences with 3rd party warranties and will have one for 7 years/72,000 miles from date of purchase(not 72,000 total miles). Thanks for any info on the late model Rams!

I have a 2011 Durango with a 5.7. It had the older 5 speed auto tranny but it was 111k mikes on it and were about to take it half way across the country. It's been great

I've had this same truck for a year this month, 13,000 miles. I'd buy it again. My last Ram. 03, 13 years and 216,000 miles. Replaced fuel pump and water pump the last year I owned it.

I have a 2014 ram 4x4 hemi with 40k miles. No issues with the truck. I had an 05 Ram hemi for 9 years only thing I needed to fix was replacing an EGR valve that cost 20 dollars. I’m pretty happy with my Ram trucks.

Friends and co-workers of mine own 2014-2016 models with the 5.7L and 8spd auto. Mileage up to 50K or so. I don't know that any of them have had a single dealer visit aside from oil changes, etc. Easy highway runs yield some pretty impressive 20mpg-ish fuel economy as well on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back