Mobil 1 High Mileage - Where does it rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you review the Mobil 1 product guide it lists Mobil 1 EP and High mileage as "Boosted, advanced full synthetic formula". Does this mean that M1 High Mileage is as good as Extended Performance?? I always thought the ranking order (as far as how good the oil is) was Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1 regular syn, M1 High Mileage, Mobil 1 EP then the new AP.

I basically was using EP exclusively then just started using High Mileage M1 and was wanting to know if I am "going backwards" in overall performance. I know the oil will be fine for my 6-7k mile OCI's but I just want to hear from anyone in the know if M1 HM is as stout as EP.

Car is 2008 CTS 3.6DI

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Where does it rank?

With respect to what attributes?

What is your goal for this engine?

I was meaning in general - is M1 High Mileage the same base formula as EP but with the seal additives? Why does Mobil call both oils "boosted" in their product guide? If so can Hi mileage also be a sleeper 15k mile oil? I've just been pondering these thoughts and wanted clarification. I know any syn or Dexos oil will be ok for my use. No special goals other than the same protection I was getting from EP or atleast similar to regular M1. Also I wonder if the NOAK number is good enough for DI use. I guess I am asking a lot of not real important questions, lol.

Good thread.

On paper, M1 HM oils have a stout add pack. The 5w30 grade is also blended on the thicker side.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Good thread.

On paper, M1 HM oils have a stout add pack. The 5w30 grade is also blended on the thicker side.

Thank you and yes you are correct. Also, HM used to have a high level of ZDDP but that changed with the current formula where it's lower. being the same as the other formulas.

wondering myself, reports aka comments of the EP having some PAO + maybe Ester in the blend, how about the HM version

Originally Posted By: benjy
wondering myself, reports aka comments of the EP having some PAO + maybe Ester in the blend, how about the HM version

I don't know the answer, but that was the board CW on the questions re: HM when it was discussed thoroughly a few years ago - something I have searched and found in the past. I have used the HM for years now, mainly the 10w-30, running under that assumption. Though if not the case, I wouldn't be disappointed as I have had excellent results with it.

I had good results with M1 HM when I ran it in my Camaro 5 or so years ago. It decreased my oil consumption by about 25%.

But I don't consider ranking the various M1 formulations from "best" to "worst".
They are formulated to do different things, so buy the one which has capabilities that you are looking for.

If you want decreased oil consumption with improved wear protection in your high-mileage car, buy HM
If you want 15,000 mile oil change intervals, buy EP.
If you only want to do annual oil changes, buy AP.
If you want to maximize fuel economy (however slightly), buy AFE.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I had good results with M1 HM when I ran it in my Camaro 5 or so years ago. It decreased my oil consumption by about 25%.

But I don't consider ranking the various M1 formulations from "best" to "worst".
They are formulated to do different things, so buy the one which has capabilities that you are looking for.

If you want decreased oil consumption with improved wear protection in your high-mileage car, buy HM

Where does that leave "plain old" Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: klt1986

If you want to run factory fill maybe?

Originally Posted By: klt1986

You run that in your new car until it's time to run HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back