Cheap Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me cheap is less than $50 a watch. I know a lot of people will spend a lot more but that`s not what the posting is about. I have had currently a couple "Infinity" watches bought off Ebay that look good and keep great time. Also have had "Casio" watches also that have been very reliable and keep great time.Anybody else have watches that they like that do the same? Let`s keep it under $50.

Depends what you need to do with it. I have watches that span some price ranges... but for cheap casual? can't go wrong with a Timex. Cheap and needs to take a beating? Find a Casio G-shock.

I have quite a few Casio watches, mostly G-Shocks, great watches. I've had a couple solar only Casios, they should be available for under $50, same with atomic (radio) watches. You'll need to spend closer to $100 for a full solar and atomic Casio, but they're pretty great.

If you want to get into the world of mechanical watches, I'd suggest the Seiko 5 line of watches which I've read are a very good value (https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK807-Automatic-Stainless-Canvas/dp/B006CHML4I). I'd be buying a Seiko like that if I didn't already have a similar Hamilton Khaki. Assuming you're ok with a mechanical watch, I'd buy a Seiko SNK80x watch before a Weekender (which I love the style of). There are other Russian and Chinese watches in that price range that I'm not as familiar with.

These are mostly casual watches, I don't really own any dressy watches!

One of the "Infinity"watches I have is pretty much like this Casio that gets great reviews http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Mens-Watch-Stainless-Steel-Case-Quartz-Duro-Black-Dial-Diver-Plastic-Resi-/201240632465?epid=144524058&hash=item2edae05c91:g:ROMAAOSwdAxZbnpK

The trouble I have with watches is the wristbands are never long enough. It don't matter if it's cheap or expensive; same problem.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The trouble I have with watches is the bands are never long enough. It don't matter if it's cheap or expensive; same problem.

If only watch bands contained separate pieces that could be added or removed to adjust the size...

We could call them links!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

If only watch bands contained separate pieces that could be added or removed to adjust the size...

...I like how you think

Seiko 5 is my go to under 50 watch. I liked and had them before they became popular and got close to 50.
Some good stuff from Timex, maybe Invicta.
You have to be in the right place, right time, stars aligned... But a Russian Vostok Amphibian is a great catch at 50. or maybe a tick more.
Merkava, lots of custom band makers. Or you could try globalwatchbands for a really nice selection, and good folks to deal with.
My favorite watch is still my Bulova Marine Star with a carbon fiber band.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The trouble I have with watches is the bands are never long enough. It don't matter if it's cheap or expensive; same problem.

Watch technology has really improved lately, I hear that you can even remove watch bands and replace them with longer watch bands!!

While I do have a rather nice Pulsar watch, I generally tend to wear it for special events.. I bought a cheap watch for everyday wear, so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged, lost etc..

I bought One of these 'skeleton watches' on Amazon for about $20.

Actually looks pretty good in person. The 'self-winding' mechanism ended up failing after about a year, but the manual wind works fine. I also ended up replacing the band after about 6 months with something more robust.

There are tons of G-Shocks around $50. They make great "beater" watches and are available in a variety of colors. The only issue is that you can't wear them when you're dressed up. The selection on Amazon is huge and they typically have free returns in case you find out it's too big or too small.

I have a G7900 in "search & rescue red" as a fun weekend watch (it's also available in black, gray, green, and white):

G7900A-4_xlarge.png

I've also got a 10 year old DW9052 that's still going (also available in other colors):

DW9052-1V_large.png

The DW6900 is one of the most iconic G-Shocks ever and still a top-seller, and can even be had in an atomic version:

DW6900-1V_large.png

Another iconic one is the Mudman G9000:

91f4XJxtevL._UY575_.jpg

More basic Casio GShocks for digital.

Swatch Sistem 51 series

Seiko 5 or basic quartz

If you can find one on sale, Citizen.

When it comes to a watches, there are a few good options at the $50 limit. However, my preference would be to save up a little more for something better. My personal watches are a Casio GShock for working around the house, Hamilton King Khaki for the office, and a Seiko Titanium Quartz for dress. However, I have started a secret slush fund to buy an Omega...

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
While I do have a rather nice Pulsar watch, I generally tend to wear it for special events.. I bought a cheap watch for everyday wear, so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged, lost etc..

I bought One of these 'skeleton watches' on Amazon for about $20.

Actually looks pretty good in person. The 'self-winding' mechanism ended up failing after about a year, but the manual wind works fine. I also ended up replacing the band after about 6 months with something more robust.

Pulsars are really nice. I have a gun metal colored one somewhere.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Seiko 5 is my go to under 50 watch. I liked and had them before they became popular and got close to 50.

Seiko 5 was one of my first nicer watches. This one was a gift from my wife, and I don't recall the price. It may have been a bit over $50 though...
37450145466_64af8c2827.jpg

I see quite a few Casio and Timex watches on Amazon for under $50 that look dressy enough for me to wear, for example:
medium_58a9863328e8c04b2a066c71.jpg

The trouble I have with watches is the wristbands are never long enough. It don't matter if it's cheap or expensive; same problem.

that's because you're putting the watch on your ankle. c'mon, merk.

Since the cell phones turned into smart phones , I quit wearing a watch .

Before then , I wore the $ 5 - $ 10 black plastic watches . Cheap and if they quit ina a year or so , replacing it was about the price as replacing the battery . And , being plastic , it was insulated .

Best of luck yo you all , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back